Retiring In The Provinces ....

gobbledonk

PDS, you certainly arent the first board member to suggest that I dont know what I'm doing, and I accept that I dont have all the answers, particularly when it comes to my ability to stay out of the bars. Flash has suggested a solution, and its the obvious one - I wont go over old ground re my relationships, but I doubt that any of the regulars here have chosen wisely every time. In any case, even if its a complete bust, I'd take 3 fun years in the LOS over 10 here in Oz : plenty of time to sit around on the pension waiting to die.

Well I understand the gist of what you're saying - don't get me wrong. However I'd seriously question those '3 fun years' if you decide to settle in a provincial Thai town. If you're serious about this, then you need to make concrete plans, monitor their progress and adjust accordingly. I'm not saying it can't be done, but to my mind you're going to need to beat the Thais at their own game, and handsomely at that: it's a herculean task. Besides, once you've done all the work - established yourself in the community, learned the dialect and beaten all the scams - then what? Nothing - you will just be known as the clever, but stingy farang. But you may well get some satisfaction from that.

Now that's the upside. The downside is coming back to Oz without a satang to your name a shriveled up drunken wreck. Now with luck, goodwill, very hard work and investment, you just may - may - achieve something near the upside. The downside however is the slippery slope - and you recognise your own traits - the ill self-discipline - the tendency to drink too much. It's like lighting the touch paper to your own reckless nature. I'm sure a lot of guys here are happy to wave you on, encourage you and pat you on the back. It certainly is a curious phenomenon - I think too many can be unwilling to be honest even with themselves.

Anyhow, these are just a handful of words, and a few bubbles of oxygen - hardly what I'd construe as anything near required to get you to think twice (because you really should). I think in your state of mind you'd trip over, flail and trample anything in the path of your 'dream'.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I understand the gist of what you're saying - don't get me wrong. However I'd seriously question those '3 fun years' if you decide to settle in a provincial Thai town. If you're serious about this, then you need to make concrete plans, monitor their progress and adjust accordingly. I'm not saying it can't be done, but to my mind you're going to need to beat the Thais at their own game, and handsomely at that: it's a herculean task. Besides, once you've done all the work - established yourself in the community, learned the dialect and beaten all the scams - then what? Nothing - you will just be known as the clever, but stingy farang. But you may well get some satisfaction from that.

Now that's the upside. The downside is coming back to Oz without a satang to your name a shriveled up drunken wreck. Now with luck, goodwill, very hard work and investment, you just may - may - achieve something near the upside. The downside however is the slippery slope - and you recognise your own traits - the ill self-discipline - the tendency to drink too much. It's like lighting the touch paper to your own reckless nature. I'm sure a lot of guys here are happy to wave you on, encourage you and pat you on the back. It certainly is a curious phenomenon - I think too many can be unwilling to be honest even with themselves.

Anyhow, these are just a handful of words, and a few bubbles of oxygen - hardly what I'd construe as anything near required to get you to think twice (because you really should). I think in your state of mind you'd trip over, flail and trample anything in the path of your 'dream'.

Hang on, I thought the flailing and the trampling was all part of the wild ride ? :clown:

If I'm dead at 60, so be it, but I sincerely hope its not at anyone else's expense. Perhaps its better to think of this as 'Gobble's last holiday in the LOS' than 'retirement', as the latter involves living to a ripe old age and, right now, that doesn't hold much appeal.

Would I sit in Udon or wherever, endlessly scheming to get back to BKK/Pattaya and blow a month's 'entertainment allowance' in a single night ? Quite possibly - I guess I wont know till I get there.

Can I stick it out in Oz for another 6-7 years to make sure I have a bigger nestegg ? No way - that might be the sane approach, but its not what I plan to do. That's about as appealing as moving to Lithuania.

Will I come to regret my crazy, headstrong ways ? Inevitably, and I guess that's where the flailing comes in. Its why they have balconies on highrise condos in Pattaya.

Hi,

How's your Thai? If it's not that great, how about spending some of the time you have left in Oz to *really* learn the language? Will kill some time and will make a huge difference when here, esp if living upcountry as there is very little English spoken there.

Also be very careful in chosing the city, living in most of the cities upcountry is nowhere near similar to Bangkok. To be honest, I doubt I could do it.

Oh, and budget for getting your own transportation (car / motorbike). You will need it.

Sanuk!

I have a lifestyle that turns the bowling club crowd green with envy.

I'd like to nominate J2's quote as the line of the year...

Re "retiring" to LOS - as others have said, take up a hobby, and not "writing bar reviews" or some other activity involving consuming lots of alcohol. Golf, running, boating, fishing, photography, even religion. Something to keep you busy/alive.

I remember almost 10 years ago, one of the lads landed a good job in LOS, and we all thought, "Oh, no" - but he made a go of it, and last I heard he was doing well, career, girl, and sensibility. We were worried he'd hit the bars hard (as he did when on holidays) and burn out/run out of money.

From what I hear he pretended he was in Farangland Monday to Friday, (bear in mind he had a job to do), and let loose on weekends and holidays. That's what I'd aspire to, I know what I'm like, I'd hit the bars more nights than not, and likely suffer the consequences both physically and financially.

The thought of "retiring" or working in LOS may sound awesome, but to those of us with addictive personalities, and little self control it could result in disaster. Better to live in farang land, and look forward to the next trip - especially if your earning potential/career prospects are brighter.

Hi,

"From what I hear he pretended he was in Farangland Monday to Friday, (bear in mind he had a job to do), and let loose on weekends and holidays."

Not that hard to do, and pretty much the only way to 'survive' here. If you are employed and still hitting the bars most nights, you WILL get in trouble over it.

And while this may sounds preposterous to those of you coming here for holidays only, the bars DO get boring after a while. I can't remember the last time I was in a GoGo bar (Itsmedave's farewell party, not sure when that was) and can honestly say I don't even miss it. I had some extremely great times in the bars, but I know that they are just memories now as the biggest reason that they were so fantastic was not due to the location, but due to the company. And I'm not talking girls, but friends. Guys I'd been hanging out with for a long time. Their company made those evenings special, the GoGo bars just provided the location.

Sanuk!

Absolutely - perfectly put KS, sure the bars are fun, but when you're there (or anywhere) with a great bunch of mates a good time turns into a memorable (forgetful??) awesome time.

The longest I've spent in LOS and surrounds was 3 or 4 months (one hit), and although I was 'single' for a good chunk of that time, going out tripping the light fantastic EVERY night just wasn't going to happen. And this was when I was in my 20's. Sure I gave it a red hot go, and had some memorable experiences, but every now and then the body needs a rest.

Even though I've not had nookie for the last 2.5 years, I have to agree with the above mentioned sentiments. That's why after a short, re-aquaintance with the bars, I'm off to Laos. Last time I was in the bars, it was to satisfy physical rather than environmental needs.

And while this may sounds preposterous to those of you coming here for holidays only, the bars DO get boring after a while. I can't remember the last time I was in a GoGo bar (Itsmedave's farewell party, not sure when that was) and can honestly say I don't even miss it. I had some extremely great times in the bars, but I know that they are just memories now as the biggest reason that they were so fantastic was not due to the location, but due to the company. And I'm not talking girls, but friends. Guys I'd been hanging out with for a long time. Their company made those evenings special, the GoGo bars just provided the location.

There are bars other than gogo bars!

Archived