Retiring In The Provinces ....

gobbledonk

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had some extremely great times in the bars, but I know that they are just memories now as the biggest reason that they were so fantastic was not due to the location, but due to the company. And I'm not talking girls, but friends. Guys I'd been hanging out with for a long time. Their company made those evenings special, the GoGo bars just provided the location.

I like exploring the country with friends. Also like being alone, even in bars -- it forces me to interact with the people around on a different level. Being with your mates can be enjoyable, it can also be an obstacle to getting to know anyone else. Especially in a foreign environment.

The other thing is, I like the company of women. They're interesting. :)

We all have different perceptions of what a 'good' life is. I can respect that some would prefer to roll the dice and burn brightly, rather than taking the slow dim of a more secure route. One can be smart about it though.

"Ain't it funny how the night moves, when you just don't seem to have as much to lose. Strange how the night moves...

With autumn closing in."

Guys, I know I've painted a very unfortunate picture of myself as someone who can only do 3 things - the reality is that I'm a pretty piss-poor drunk : one decent hangover and I swear off it for weeks. At least that is what happens here in Oz - Thailand, for some reason, seems to shorten my 'recovery time'.

The main reason I got into trouble in 2008 was that I was alone in a room for most of the (long, hot) days with little more than a laptop. In a perfect world, I would spend time tending a tropical garden, growing vegies and feeding chooks : hardly the most sophisticated lifestyle, and I'm sure most hi-so Thais would associate each of the above with a labourer from Isaan : such is life. I would very much like to learn not only the language, but how to cook Thai food, and KS' suggestions are spot on.

I've bored many of you with images from Made Wijaya's work in Bali before, and the 'tropical garden' is almost a cliche in most parts of Thailand, but in a perfect world I would spend most of my days seeking out tropical plants, designing new sections of my 3 hectare (perfect, remember ;) ) hill station garden outside Chiang Rai, and nights filled with music, good food and like-minded people. Sadly, those dreams belong to Lotto winners here in Oz.

There are Thai cooking schools here for foreigners. They don't cost that much, let you select a range of what you want to learn and a very popular these days.

As others have suggested, find something to do with your time. One problem with Thai men is that they have no hobbies! Besides drinking and shagging, all they generally do is watch the crap soap operas on the TV. They get bored with their wife after a few years, so they get a mia noi (if they can afford it). Soon enough they are bored with her. If they are rich, they may gamble - as if losing money is a "hobby". Do something to keep yourself busy, even if its just learning to make your own meals. "Upper class" Thai men may golf, but most Thai men couldn't tell a golf club from a crocket mallette. Maybe get into photography and spend your time doing that. Stay active.

Photography, you say ? Why, I have some happy snaps from Nana Hotel that would be very welcome on certain internet sites ;)

Seriously, Flash, I hear ya loud and clear. Hobbies that dont involve entering anything resembling a bar, or sitting at home getting stonkered whilst watching TV. You're a hard man, but fair.

I was fortune in that I came here to work. I was too busy to get into too much trouble. Booze and the nightlife was for weekends and term breaks. Also, a trip to Bangkok for a few days was something to look forward too - just an 8 hour train ride, not an effing 20-something hour plane trip. :p

If it was 20 hours I doubt I would have ever gone - 8 is painful enough ....

Archived