50 Years In A Thai Jail - No Thanks ....

gobbledonk

I guess its easy to say it when you arent faced with the choice, but the Aussie who spent two hours arguing for the life sentence over the death penalty left me shaking my head.

I'm not sure which episode of 'Big Trouble in Thailand' screened here last Thursday night, but you can probably find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xalV1TaFKLg

They showed the execution chamber, and the 3 lights indicating when each injection went in - a sedative, a muscle-relaxant and the final lethal 'shutdown' - and it looked a lot more peaceful than I could ever imagine 50 years in ANY jail being. I can only assume that the accused, a 'career criminal', had something to live for, but I have to wonder how he will feel about it in 10 years time.

I know - where there's life there's hope - but that seemed like a pretty hopeless situation to me.

And for those in true higher circles don't even receive a conviction.

And thats pretty much what our Aussie felon had to say when asked his opinion of 'Thai justice'.

That said, this wasnt a naive backpacker with a couple of joints in his pocket : he admitted that the pills were his and he would surely have known what the consequences were for trying something so stupid in Thailand. The best he could hope for would be some sort of prisoner swap deal where he was able to serve another 15 or so years in an Australian jail (again, screw that ..) before being released on parole.

If I go to Singapore and there is a sign warning me that spitting attracts a $50 fine, do I risk it ? Er, no, but then I guess we all have different brain chemistry.

Archived