Football Season 2011-2012

sayjann

8 games played so far and amazingly no home wins...... :wacko: ,but man city still to play and i expect a win for them over swansea.

fun and games at newcastle with arsenals new player sent off for slapping joey barton and barton getting stamped on in a cowardly attack by an arsenal player.

but barton is cited as the villian in match as usual........ :nono:

torres at chelsea still looks as lost as a lamb on the pitch... :rotfl:

arsenal/liverpool/chelsea looked ordinary for periods of their games and even the mighty man utd had their bad moments for periods,but the usual late goal settled the match............ :chili:

obviously first game means nothing but i think this could be a very interesting season.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

watching the man city/swansea and i have been watching an inspired performance by the swansea goalie making his debut for swansea and in the PL.

a dutchman called Michel Vorm.

already a member of the dutch squad and he has just pulled off the best save of the weekend from a deflected free-kick. :applause:

From what I've seen so far, its going to be between Man Utd and 'Citeh'. Man Utd looked great in pre-season and had that fighting spirit. Its a matter of when not if Citeh's spending will have them challenging till the end for the title. My biggest fear is if Man City gets a manager like Mourinho, Hiddink, etc. Hughes and Mancini grossly underperformed given the resources they have. Both managers seemed to lack any sort of strategy. They just bought for the sake of buying. They'd have been better served concentrating on building a team over 3 or 4 seasons initially. Playing a certain way, buying players that fit that strategy and allowing them to gel as a team. Right now if there ever was an appropriate term mercenary, its that club. I shouldn't even call them a team.

Chelsea are rumored to be close to getting Modric and Mata is allegedly on his way. Both are great players. They'll be in the mix again. They are a bit old though Drogba, Lampard, Anelka are up in age. Essien is getting injury prone now.

Arsenal are in bad shape. Many fans calling for Wenger to call it quits. I will wait to see what happens after the transfer window is closed and assessing who he gets and what the club does. Its no big secret we need a central defender. I also think we need a striker. Frimpong, the one sent off against the scousers will be HUGE! He's only 19 and fearless. On the forums, none of the fans were angry at him for being sent off, like me, they attributed it to being young and inexperienced. I recall a tall lanky French center midfielder being sent off routinely when he was at Asenal as well and he turned out to be a fairly decent player. Frimpong will be an England international player within 3 years I predict. He's a monster! Wilshere will be a key player for England as well.

Tottenham are finally making moves. Losing Modric will be huge but they are close to getting Diarra from Real Madrid. A first choice midfield of Van de Vaart, Diarra, Bale and Lennon is pretty damn good as well as getting Adebayor on loan possibly so a front line of Adebayor, Crouch and Defoe to choose from. Not bad.

As I see it. Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd will compete for the title. Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham will fight it out for 4th.

Its not one of the better Man Utd sides I've seen in the PL but they have desire. They are beatable. The Chelsea manager has to learn the league, British culture, languag maybe (I don't know if he speaks english) and the players. It may be several weeks till he finds his way. City have the potential to do well but I think their problem is they are not a team. They are a collection of great players. An all star team almost. If they gel they will be very good.

Not fun being an Arsenal fan these days but you take the bad with the good. Losing Fabregas and probably Nasri is a huge hit and if I were him, I'd not only buy the positions needed (CB, striker), I'd make a statement buy. A big name to ease the fans and give the team some confidence. We have the money. We already had 30 or so mil for transfers and the Fabregas and Nasri money will bring in a lot more. All in all probably over 70 mil to play with being very conservative. Its probably more even with new boy Gervinho who was 'only' 10 mil (and he'll be good).

Young is a good buy for Man Utd. Good to see the promoted clubs. Clubs I've not seen before except for the odd chance they were in a cup against a PL side so I'm excited. I've long heard of QPR. When I read the book 'Fever Pitch', they were always mentioned and thought they had a cool name: Queens Park Rangers.

Looking forward to the Tottenham/Man Utd game. A good early test for both sides. Although both sides have injuries to key players, we are in much worse shape injury wise than Man Utd so I don't expect us to get a good result. If we can get a draw I'll be more than happy.

From what I've seen so far, its going to be between Man Utd and 'Citeh'. Man Utd looked great in pre-season and had that fighting spirit. Its a matter of when not if Citeh's spending will have them challenging till the end for the title. My biggest fear is if Man City gets a manager like Mourinho, Hiddink, etc. Hughes and Mancini grossly underperformed given the resources they have. Both managers seemed to lack any sort of strategy. They just bought for the sake of buying. They'd have been better served concentrating on building a team over 3 or 4 seasons initially. Playing a certain way, buying players that fit that strategy and allowing them to gel as a team. Right now if there ever was an appropriate term mercenary, its that club. I shouldn't even call them a team.

Chelsea are rumored to be close to getting Modric and Mata is allegedly on his way. Both are great players. They'll be in the mix again. They are a bit old though Drogba, Lampard, Anelka are up in age. Essien is getting injury prone now.

Arsenal are in bad shape. Many fans calling for Wenger to call it quits. I will wait to see what happens after the transfer window is closed and assessing who he gets and what the club does. Its no big secret we need a central defender. I also think we need a striker. Frimpong, the one sent off against the scousers will be HUGE! He's only 19 and fearless. On the forums, none of the fans were angry at him for being sent off, like me, they attributed it to being young and inexperienced. I recall a tall lanky French center midfielder being sent off routinely when he was at Asenal as well and he turned out to be a fairly decent player. Frimpong will be an England international player within 3 years I predict. He's a monster! Wilshere will be a key player for England as well.

Tottenham are finally making moves. Losing Modric will be huge but they are close to getting Diarra from Real Madrid. A first choice midfield of Van de Vaart, Diarra, Bale and Lennon is pretty damn good as well as getting Adebayor on loan possibly so a front line of Adebayor, Crouch and Defoe to choose from. Not bad.

As I see it. Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd will compete for the title. Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham will fight it out for 4th.

Its not one of the better Man Utd sides I've seen in the PL but they have desire. They are beatable. The Chelsea manager has to learn the league, British culture, languag maybe (I don't know if he speaks english) and the players. It may be several weeks till he finds his way. City have the potential to do well but I think their problem is they are not a team. They are a collection of great players. An all star team almost. If they gel they will be very good.

Not fun being an Arsenal fan these days but you take the bad with the good. Losing Fabregas and probably Nasri is a huge hit and if I were him, I'd not only buy the positions needed (CB, striker), I'd make a statement buy. A big name to ease the fans and give the team some confidence. We have the money. We already had 30 or so mil for transfers and the Fabregas and Nasri money will bring in a lot more. All in all probably over 70 mil to play with being very conservative. Its probably more even with new boy Gervinho who was 'only' 10 mil (and he'll be good).

Young is a good buy for Man Utd. Good to see the promoted clubs. Clubs I've not seen before except for the odd chance they were in a cup against a PL side so I'm excited. I've long heard of QPR. When I read the book 'Fever Pitch', they were always mentioned and thought they had a cool name: Queens Park Rangers.

Looking forward to the Tottenham/Man Utd game. A good early test for both sides. Although both sides have injuries to key players, we are in much worse shape injury wise than Man Utd so I don't expect us to get a good result. If we can get a draw I'll be more than happy.

hi steve..... :wave:

boas speaks very good english and don't forget he's been at chelsea before,one of mourinhos staff.

chelsea still have a problem upfront i think,good forwards but what's their best combination of strikers?.

torres still looks a little lost,kalou and malouda are not quite in the mix i think and how long will drogba be happy starting on the bench?.

man city will certainly be up there at the end and if tevez stays they will be much stronger.

but they will also have problems picking their strongest forward line,ballotelli could be a problem and dzeko has to improve to keep his place.

aguerro could be a star this season and when he gets a long run in the starting line-up then city will be flying.

arsenal could have problems if nasri goes and they still need a top striker,cannot leave it all to van persie.

gervinho will need time to bed in and apart from him and rvp i cannot see many other players scoring 10 goals a season.

vermarlan looks good again,just like he did early last season and he could make the difference between a good/poor season if he keeps away from injury.

liverpool have bought well and have good attacking options from midfield as well as the strikers.

they have a good defence and gerrard still to come back and i think they will be a force this season.

dalglish has bought well over the summer.

utd still look beatable everytime they walk out on the pitch but i'm excited by the squad we have at the moment.

ferdinand will not be missed as much as last season when injured as we have some good defenders.

fergie is rebuilding again for the future with a young squad being assembled.

i look forward to the day when rooney,hernandez,young and nani are all in the team...... :chili:

this season will be interesting and if utd improve away from home i still see them as champions.

a question for you arsenal fans,are you worried about their prospects this season?

i know cs has made a few observations and i think he is a little worried,what about the rest of you?.

i don't dislike arsenal or any other pl team really,but i do hate leeds......nuke elland road i say or better still send the whole population of leeds to some god forsaken part of the world to clear landmines.

but back on topic i look at arsenals situation as baffling.

i know they have new owners and when you think towards of last season they were in with a shout in all 4 competitions until the carling cup loss and it all fell apart from then on.

what is going on with the sale of players for good sums but no-one with a 'top' name bought in as yet.

wenger says the cash is there to be spent but i see too many younger players bought in with no or limited pl experience.

building for the future possibly? but you need good experiece as well.

do you think the money earned from sales is really being passed on to wenger to do what he wants?.

do you think if that if they might won have last seasons carling cup it might have been a springboard for more successful times?

the carling cup is often derided as a nothing competion but would you be happy with it this season just to get that first silverware for a few seasons to instill confidence?.

wenger says he won't quit but you see the day when arsenal get tired of him and diplomitally move him aside?.

i definately see utd,city and chelsea qualifying for the cl this season and arsenal being pushed hard by liverpool.

utd and liverpool have spent cash on players with good pl experience while i 'think'chelsea have bought well.

i think spurs are just out the loop for the top 4 and it could be a fight between them and arsenal for the europa cup spot.

i look forward to this weekends game to see if their are any pointers.

I would not count Tottenham out of a CL place. The team that played Man Utd is not the full strength side they have now. Adebayor and a midfielder from Juve named Falque on loan. Backline choice of Gallas, King, Bassong and Dawson to choose from. Midfield of Van de Vaar, Diarra (expected to get from Real Madrid), Modric, Bale, Lennon, Palacios, Huddlestone, Kranjcar to choose from and up front, Adebayor, Crouch, Defoe, Dos Santos from Mexico to choose from with Friedel, Gomes and Cudicini at GK. On paper its a damn good side. If Redknapp can keep key players healthy they can make some noise.

As for Arsenal, many Arsenal fans are just as baffled as neutrals are about us. According to the loan deal for the stadium, I have heard that the bank agreement says that over 70% of player sales must be reinvested back into the squad but I think they may have gotten around that with increased contracts for players. Arsenal's situation is puzzling to fans and ex players alike. The board is basically the same. Kroenke the American owner outright has been a shareholder from the Dein days before he left so its not like he's new. He just increased holdings, one of the major board members died and another left but its not really such a new board. Its been pretty much the same. Not much time left in the transfer window as well. Don't think you'll find many optimistic gooners.

Someone tell me that didn't happen.........please? :banghead:

Shocking defensive performance by Arsenal and although I expected them to lose, I never expected that! :yikes:

Has to be said though that this Arsenal team were almost certainly the weakest team ever fielded by Wenger but that's a reflection of the quality and lack of depth in the squad. Vermaelen is the only quality central defender we have and after last season out he is now looking like he may be injury prone, whereas how many quality defenders do United have? :shakehead

Archived