Football Season 2011-2012

sayjann

I tent to disagree with your opinion that it was similar to "That night it "Barcelona 99" Back then United were head to head with the team in a winner takes all game whereas Citeh were up against a relegation threatened team. It came as no surprise that QPR switched off and allowed Citeh to score the 2 goals required to win the league once the Bolton result came through, QPR knew they were safe for another season and just stopped playing.

Even though I am gutted we got so close, Uniteds performances in Europe this season have shown just how far the EPL has dropped behind other major European leagues and hopefully this will allow a major overhaul of the team, we need a left back Evera is still good going forward but has forgotten how to defend, a right back, Rafael is just too much of a liability, three midfielders and another striker , anything less than 100 Million in the transfer market this summer and United will fall behind.

I will be cheering for Bayern next weekend

Think City were deserved winners of the Premier league.Its won over 38 games.Not because QPR switched off.And City are supposed to be bitter

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think City were deserved winners of the Premier league.Its won over 38 games.Not because QPR switched off.And City are supposed to be bitter

I never said that over the 38 game season that you Berties did not deserve it, I was merely pointing out to Steve that the comparison between United's CL victory in 99 was a bit far fetched.

If I was bitter I would point out the Ferdinand "Non Penalty" awarded against Ben Arfa which cost United two points, but I am a realist and I know the home defeat to Blackburn at New Year and allowing Everton back to 4-4 from 4-2 down in the last 5 minutes 2 weeks ago are where United lost the momentum.

I am from a "Split Family" all my fathers side are Reds and my mothers side are Blues and I have not got so much stick from the Blue half since Denis Law's Backheel in the 73-74 season, but after giving it to them for the past 25 years it's time to take it from them also. To be honest City are my second team, as a kid I would stand on the Stretford End one week and then on the Kippax with my cousins the next, my parents would not allow me to travel to United's away games, so Best Law & Charlton one week followed by Summerbee & Bell the next the glory days of football then picking up a copy of "Pink Final" on the way home.

So Congratulations to City, as I said over 38 games you deserved it and I think that Manchester will be the stronghold of English football for the next few years to come which can only be good for the area, hopefully both teams can push on further in Europe next season and make Manchester the football powerhouse that Milan was in the Late 80's early 90's.

OK, I don't live in Manchester Bangkok actually now but I was originally from Gorse Hill Salford about 300 yards from Old Trafford, a born and bred Salford Red, some of us still exist.

Unfortunately I can't congratulate a club who just went shopping to Harrods and bought a title.

There's a reason they didn't do anything for 44 years....they were rubbish. Then along came an Arab with a billion quid and hey presto 2 years later the title is secured! :shakehead

And even then they could only win on goal difference against, as CS said, possibly the poorest EPL competition in many years!

I never said that over the 38 game season that you Berties did not deserve it, I was merely pointing out to Steve that the comparison between United's CL victory in 99 was a bit far fetched.

If I was bitter I would point out the Ferdinand "Non Penalty" awarded against Ben Arfa which cost United two points, but I am a realist and I know the home defeat to Blackburn at New Year and allowing Everton back to 4-4 from 4-2 down in the last 5 minutes 2 weeks ago are where United lost the momentum.

I am from a "Split Family" all my fathers side are Reds and my mothers side are Blues and I have not got so much stick from the Blue half since Denis Law's Backheel in the 73-74 season, but after giving it to them for the past 25 years it's time to take it from them also. To be honest City are my second team, as a kid I would stand on the Stretford End one week and then on the Kippax with my cousins the next, my parents would not allow me to travel to United's away games, so Best Law & Charlton one week followed by Summerbee & Bell the next the glory days of football then picking up a copy of "Pink Final" on the way home.

So Congratulations to City, as I said over 38 games you deserved it and I think that Manchester will be the stronghold of English football for the next few years to come which can only be good for the area, hopefully both teams can push on further in Europe next season and make Manchester the football powerhouse that Milan was in the Late 80's early 90's.

OK, I don't live in Manchester Bangkok actually now but I was originally from Gorse Hill Salford about 300 yards from Old Trafford, a born and bred Salford Red, some of us still exist.

Cheers Mekong for your honesty ,not having a go at Utd.I respect United for the record they have in football as one of the most successful and best supported clubs in Europe.Also a lot of my friends who are Utd fans have been the first to congratulate City on winning the league.I also hope Manchester becomes a powerhouse in football

Unfortunately I can't congratulate a club who just went shopping to Harrods and bought a title.

There's a reason they didn't do anything for 44 years....they were rubbish. Then along came an Arab with a billion quid and hey presto 2 years later the title is secured! :shakehead

And even then they could only win on goal difference against, as CS said, possibly the poorest EPL competition in many years!

Not looking for congratulations.Was your Success in the 90s and 00s due to investment by Danny Fiszman .What is your excuse for not winning nothing for seven years?Shopping at Lidl will not win you anything .

I know City fans don't care how the title was won (the money). I certainly understand that. Were I a long suffering City fan I may not care either. I get that.

This is gonna sound mean and bitter but its not meant to be. Just trying to be honest about my view. To me Man City are the only club in the EPL that literally anyone on this thread could manage and could win the title in probably 5 years or less. Okay, it sounds like I'm talking complete and utter shit. lol..but I truly believe that. Spend a billion pounds and I could win it as manager. I'd need a staff of course and as little as I know about tactics, I could play championship manager. I know who the great players, that's easy enough. Everyone knows the best players at each position. I could win it and so could you. You have a blank checkbook. Its the same as winning the Olympics with the NBA players. Those guys praactice for a few weeks and then win it. Why? They're the best.

I couldn't do that within the money and framework I would have at Man Utd, Chelsea (if Roman continues to curtail spending) or Arsenal (although I'm starting to think I can do a better job than Wenger).

As for as Arsenal, the success in in the late 90s and '00s was Wenger with Dein. Fiszman's money wasn't the reason. Wenger made a profit in the transfer market most years. He found a bunch of great, mostly French, unknown young players. That story is well known. I don't think Arsenal would be a guarantee to win a title if there were no Roman or Sheikh. I think Man Utd would have dominated frankly. Also, what made the '90s and '00s remarkable for Arsenal is that we were building a stadium as well so there were no funds to buy. Player transfers were made via big money sales such as Anelka, Petit and Overmars.

Oh, forgot, manager of the year. I know its customary that EPL champion manager wins it almost always. However, I actually think Mancini has been underperforming the last couple years given the amount of money he has to spend. Man City did not seem to have any strategy to their buying other than buy for the sake of buying.

For me the clear cut and unequivocal manager of the year has to be Newcaste's Alan Pardew. The Toon were 7 points off relegation last season. 12th overall I think. They were a hair from a CL place and will be playing in the Europa cup (old UEFA cup/cup winners cup). Phenominal. I'm no big fan of Pardew but credit where credit is due. Swansea's manager next I think and then Redknapp. If a manager of the year was given for half a season then possibly Wenger. In Septempber a CL place seemed very very unlikely and we were flirting around relegation zone but I never thought it was a possibility. To get 3rd after the poor start (self induced) is phenominal and to be way behind the scum in points at the start of 2012 and finish ahead of a Tottenham side that were deemed as outsiders for the title at one point is phenominal.

For me the most awaited thing isn't if Man City can sustain it and win again, its how they will manage with the new financial rules. At present, no way they can maintain that squad.

As far as Manchester dominating the English football scene, its the best bet but I wouldn't count out London. If Roman spends big as expected to replace aging stars Drogba, Lampard, etc., Tottenham continue to be competitive and Wenger adds M'Villa or another good CM, Wilshere coming back as well as Podolski who is already there, then London can break up that Manchester duo. London clubs finished 3rd, 4th and 6th respectively.

then London can break up that Manchester duo. London clubs finished 3rd, 4th and 6th respectively.

Forget the league positions and look at the points on the board.

Arsenal were 19 points behind "The Worst Ever Manchester United Team"

On Average City and United 89 Points GD 60

London Teams 67.66 Points and GD of 31.33

A 20 point gap or a 28 GD is not going to be overcome overnight, London is back where is belongs in the shadows of Manchester!

on a side note,Sky Sports have announced their 20 Year celebration awards.

for those who do not know who Sky Sports are,well they have the biggest contract for showing the PL games and certainly bought it to the masses by televising so many games each season.

watching games in Thailand i see they often have the coverage and same 'experts'.

anyway they have just finished announcing their awards to celebrate 20 Years of the PL.

i imagine a lot of arguments will reign as people disagree with the awards,but remember one thing.

the awards were a WORLDWIDE on-line poll and not just by a committee of 10 people.

PLAYER OF 20 SEASONS--Ryan Giggs.

MANAGER OF 20 SEASONS--Sir Alex Ferguson.

SEASON OF ALL SEASONS--2011/2012.

TEAM OF 20 SEASONS--Arsenal 2003/2004.

MOST MEMORABLE QUOTE--Kevin Keegan,for his 'love it' interview.

BEST GOAL IN 20 SEASONS--Wayne Rooney for his goal against Man City.

BEST MATCH--Man Utd 4,Man City 3 in the 2009/2010 season.

BEST GOAL CELEBRATION--Eric Cantona for his pose after scoring against Sunderland in 1996.

BEST SAVE--Craig Gordon for Sunderland v Bolton 2010.

no votes for the next 2 awards as they stand alone by themselves.

MOST PREMIER LEAGUE GOALS--Alan Shearer,260.

MOST CLEAN SHEETS--David James,173.

and the category which will cause the most eye-rolling amongst people.

PUBLIC vote of best fantasy team over 20 Years.

Peter Schmeichel.

Gary Neville.

Tony Adams.

Nemanja Vidic.

Ashley Cole.

Cristiano Ronaldo.

Paul Scholes.

Steven Gerrard.

Ryan Giggs.

Thierry Henry.

Alan Shearer.

thoughts anyone?.

...A 20 point gap or a 28 GD is not going to be overcome overnight, London is back where is belongs in the shadows of Manchester!

I don't give a fuck about cities, I just support The Arsenal. Your post is just posturing, so now it's all Manchester, you're liking both clubs? Maybe when Man C start winning the league every year you'll be supporting both clubs?

PS Where are we having that drink?

on a side note,Sky Sports have announced their 20 Year celebration awards.

for those who do not know who Sky Sports are,well they have the biggest contract for showing the PL games and certainly bought it to the masses by televising so many games each season.

watching games in Thailand i see they often have the coverage and same 'experts'.

anyway they have just finished announcing their awards to celebrate 20 Years of the PL.

i imagine a lot of arguments will reign as people disagree with the awards,but remember one thing.

the awards were a WORLDWIDE on-line poll and not just by a committee of 10 people.

PLAYER OF 20 SEASONS--Ryan Giggs.

MANAGER OF 20 SEASONS--Sir Alex Ferguson.

SEASON OF ALL SEASONS--2011/2012.

TEAM OF 20 SEASONS--Arsenal 2003/2004.

MOST MEMORABLE QUOTE--Kevin Keegan,for his 'love it' interview.

BEST GOAL IN 20 SEASONS--Wayne Rooney for his goal against Man City.

BEST MATCH--Man Utd 4,Man City 3 in the 2009/2010 season.

BEST GOAL CELEBRATION--Eric Cantona for his pose after scoring against Sunderland in 1996.

BEST SAVE--Craig Gordon for Sunderland v Bolton 2010.

no votes for the next 2 awards as they stand alone by themselves.

MOST PREMIER LEAGUE GOALS--Alan Shearer,260.

MOST CLEAN SHEETS--David James,173.

and the category which will cause the most eye-rolling amongst people.

PUBLIC vote of best fantasy team over 20 Years.

Peter Schmeichel.

Gary Neville.

Tony Adams.

Nemanja Vidic.

Ashley Cole.

Cristiano Ronaldo.

Roy Keane.

Paul Scholes.

Steven Gerrard.

Ryan Giggs.

Thierry Henry.

Alan Shearer.