Football Season 2011-2012

sayjann

what is going on in mancini's head.

he talked about rooney waving his hand indicating a foul by the man city player which got the city player sent off.

to me a good tackle and not even worthy of a yellow card,the ref was maybe unsure of what happened.

but in the 2 games since he has waved a card when he see's a foul against one of his players.

but he's said it's a different situation when someone on the touchline does it.

so he's allowed to do it because it makes no difference to the ref's decision?.

so why jump up and down in his techinical area and do it?.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate Scholes (and Giggs) obviously as a gooner but its not to take away from their careers which was/is immense. They deserve the plaudits fully.

I don't know if its accurate to suggest Scholes was underrated. He was always rated in the UK and highly respected in world football. In fact, I'd suggest it was his club play that kept him in the England team since his scoring droppped off considerably in the England side compared to his club scoring record. My knock (and you know I'd have one if its a Man Utd player...hehehe) are the referees who let him wouldn't book him and the commentators/pundits who made excuses for him about his tackling. I never bought the 'he's a bad tackler' tag. I thought he knew exactly what he was doing. Even if he didn't there is no way a central midfielder who 'can't tackle' shouldn't have been red carded more or at least gotten more yellows. Vieira was a much better tackler and got booked far too often. I believe it when Gooners said Vieira got booked more because he was French and he showed up Keane (Vieira in his prime was better :applause: ).

That aside, Scholes was one of the best midfielders in world football for a number of years.

Huge game for Arsenal against Man Utd on Sunday. Even though Arsenal are home, Man Utd has to be the faves based on our current injury issues, form and poor home record. As the saying goes, I'll hope for the best but expect the worse.

interesting and entertaining afternoon of football.

city/spurs really kicked off in the 2nd half with 4 goals in around 10 minutes and it looked like going either way to the very end.

defoe missed the chance of a winning goal and that that prick balotelli earns and scores the winning penalty.

not that balotelli should have been on the pitch after his deliberate on a spurs player,however could the officials not see that?... :confused::banghead::dunno::angry::blink::yikes:

it will be interesting to see wether he gets charged with the offence in the next few days.

the arse finally put a little faith in youth and had utd reeling for a while and missed some great chances,i certainly was sweating.

a quietish sort of game though compared to so many in the past.

but i was in heaven when welbeck scored..... :yay:

the winners over the weekend turn out to be the 2 manchester clubs as spurs,arsenal,liverpool and chelsea all dropping points.

After being carved open, credit to sperz for coming back. For a couple years they have a belief they can come back against any team save Man Utd...snicker...they always roll over for them.

I can't see them being out of the top 4 this season and see the last remaining spot a fight out between Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Man Utd targetted Arsenal's full backs as their tactics. Good move, obvious move considering we have all our first team full backs out injured. Djourou who played RB was the most exposed and had a horrid time with Nani or anyone on that side. It didn't help he had Walcott as the winger as he is not the best cover for a full back. Subbing Djourou was a no brainer at half time. Where Arsenal lost the game after a great 2nd half was the subbing of Oxley-Chamberlain for Arshavin. It was bizarre and it cost Arsenal the game as it was him who lost his man for the Man Utd winner. Only Wenger thought it was wise. The fans booed the substitution and our captain RvP was obviously against it. Wenger's esoteric and unique thinking and tactics worked for years but the last half a dozen years have seen him make decisions with regards to personnel, etc. that have failed but he's held on grudgingly, even angrilly even when they have not worked.

RVP's reaction to "The Ox's" substitution said it all, I am sure I lip read RVP said "What the fuck is he doing?", and I think the crowds reaction was justified. In my 40 odd years of following football I have never heard such a negative reaction to a substitution.

As for Arsenal being a footballing team lets just look at the stats.

Possession 49%-51%

Corners 0-5

Shots on Target 3-6

Fouls 15-6

Yellows 5-2

Score 1-2

Koscielny on Nani was a cynical one, Nani was running rings around your lot all afternoon, so if you can't stop him kick the shit out of him to injure him and get him substituted, it was the only way you could stop him.

I am surprised nothing more has been made of Szczesny tripping Wellbeck when Mertersacker cleared off the line, not a Red since Mererasacker had it covered but a deffo Penalty IMHO since Wellbeck could have made Merasacker's clearance more difficult or even blocked it and put the rebound away.

Only positive for Arsenal was seeing "The OX" get a chance, he looks like he will be some player, but he wont stay at Arsenal soon he will be off to a Club with ambition and the chance to win silverware.

One last word.

Arshavin "Worse Russian Sub since The Kursk"

Kong

RVP's reaction to "The Ox's" substitution said it all, I am sure I lip read RVP said "What the fuck is he doing?", and I think the crowds reaction was justified. In my 40 odd years of following football I have never heard such a negative reaction to a substitution.

Kong

Robben being substituted by Advocaat during Euro 2004, Advocaat substituted Robben in the 66th minute to defend a 2–1 lead over the Czech Republic. However, the Czech team then scored two goals and won 3–2, which led to criticism about Advocaat's decision. The reaction of the crowd was also pretty loud. I still can't stand Advocaat up to this day because of this action.

yesterday I switched off the TV and went to bed after the 0-1. Fed up with poor displays by the Arsenal.

Limbo,

I don't recall that incident, not being Dutch myself it is not an incident that stands out in my mind but I can emphasize with your comments.

Wenger made it easy for Fergie, he was forced to bring on Rafael when Jones got injured and as much as I like Rafael he still has that hot headed Latino temperament and is prone to the frequent rash challenge. (Trust me I lived with a Chilean Bird for nearly a year so I am well aware of how hot headed Latino's are)

The Ox was doing to Rafael what Nani was doing to the Arsenal defense all afternoon, Rafael was walking a tightrope having been booked at the end of the first half for a rash challenge and every time they were one on one my heart was in my mouth "Stay on your feet son, nothing rash" but we needed him for his pace.

As soon as The Ox was replaced it was easy for SAF to sub the potential Red Card sub with Park Ji Sung on the right and drop Valencia to Right Back based on his Arshavin's renowned lack of tracking back. Valencia was playing wing back when he skinned Arshavin before the one two with Park before setting up Wellbeck for the winner.

Now that was what I call an excellent tactical substitution, but the ball from an out of retirement 37 year old Ginger Ninja to Valencia was something that Brett Favre in his Cheesehead heydays would have been proud of (Favre was the best QB in American Football at his peak IMHO)

The 70 year old manager and his 37 year old out of retirement CM player shows there is still a bit of nonce in the oldies.

A Couple of "Interesting Sports facts" for Steve.

When Scholes decided to come out of retirement against city, rather than rely on sponsorship the club or his reputation went to JJB Sports (Dave Whelan owner of Wigan sports shop chain) and paid 70 Quid for a new pair of boots out of his own pocket.

Against Bolton when Giggs (38) replaced Scholes (37) the combined age of the change was 75 years, that in itself is a premiership record.

First time in the premiership a game ended with 2 Parks on the Park.

but on a personal note,i've heard great news.

my american cousin(dual american/british citizenship)has been invited to have trials/train with birmingham city football club in the next couple of months.

he's a goalie and bloody good and can also play at centre-half and centre-forward.

he's just turned 16 and beefed up and is certainly a robust young man.

he's played football in the usa for many years and often in teams in an older age group.

when i last saw him when he was around 13 i used to play football with him and he was a wonder between the posts.

saw him play a couple of competive games and he certainly stood for no nonsense from opponents or teammates.

i hope to get to birmingham and see him and watch him train under professional coaches.

i don't know how well his progression has gone but i wish him well and hope that the experience will help him.

further to the story of my cousin.

he's actually having trials at WBA and arrives in the uk feb 8th.

he's actually coming with a friend of his who he's being playing football with since they were 6 years old and that will be a help to both of them as they will be travelling into the unknown together.

i've rang up WBA and while they do'nt know the exact details it seems the trialists normally train hard for 5 days a week and then get 2 days off.

hopefully we can take the 2 boys to old trafford for a tour as they are both fanatical man utd supporters and it will blow their minds.

Mekong, I don't think even many Arsenal fans claim we are still a great footballing side. Any Arsenal forum you go to will complain about the pitty patty stuff that we do in the final 1/3 of the opponents pitch. Arsenal's biggest problem isn't Wenger. He can only do what the club's owner lets him do and my view is the current owner (or majority stakeholder), Kroenke is the worst thing to happen to Arsenal in years. He has no ambition and thinks Wenger walks on water. No way to dislodge him from Arsenal as he's making tons of money. Its a depressing time for many Arsenal fans. My fear is any success is in spite of not because of the current owner. Its why I am emotionally distant from the team. I watch but take defeats and wins without much emotion. Love the club and always will but don't see much hope for the future.

Sayjann, as for Scholes, not denying he's a nice guy and definitely not his footballing prowess. I'm biased obviously. But what I don't see any bias in saying referees have given him free reign to foul and not get booked. As I said, someone who even his own manager says 'can't tackle' gets so few bookings as a central midfielder is mind boggling and can't be explained in any other way that he gets a pass. It happens with great players in every sport. Michael Jordan fouled incessently but referees were loathe to risk seeing the world's best basketball player, possibly, ever be ejected from the game. MJ himself admitted as much. Same was said about judges shading even rounds to Ali when he was at his greatest. Vieira was a better tackler than Scholes (albeit overly aggressive) but got sent off far more. I've seen some clear studs up Scholes tackles that got warnings when it would have gotten others booked for sure, sent off in some cases. Still, that FACT doesn't mean he wasn't a great player, as it doesn't make Jordan or Ali less great.

Sad to see the state of football as well. The British media never mention how much Man City's wealth plays the biggest role in their current success. Its stating the obvious but it still needs to be said. They are far more ostentatious than Chelsea were.

Archived