Best Thai Language Cd ?

gobbledonk

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

marry one, the little Thai I've picked up in 20 years has helped me quite a bit in learning Lao :)

Thanks guys - I had the Rosetta Stone CD a few years back and I take Flasher's point re its limitations. I know that the best I can hope for is to learn a few stock phrases, but at least you can hear the correct pronunciation with a CD.

I do like the Rosetta Stone CDs for a refresher though, since they speak at normal speed - good practice for listening to real people.

There's a "Talk Now" series that is very basic - good for vocabulary and learning the numbers. Only a handful of short sentences and expressions though. I've seen the CDs all over Bangkok, pirated of course.

I'll never forget Archan Suphat, the head of my PC language training. After a couple of weeks, he told the guys to go pick up a girl. That was the way to practice your language. And he was right. :)

Its all good - anything that elevates me from the stock bargirl-inspired gibberish has to be an improvement. Too many years of travelling around Asia with nothing more than a simpleton's smile and the ubiquitous 'OK' : start to feel like the 'GI' extra in a war movie who communicates by shouting 'Ditty Mau !' at everyone.

In "The Kliing Fields" I was one of the few "US Marines" who spoke English. Most were Dutch, Danes etc. :)

I also had to point out to them that they had me wearing an Army uniform!

You might give this a try:

http://download.cnet.com/EasyThai/3000-2279_4-10468987.html

Thanks Flash - you are one of the last true gentlemen. Fortunately, I'm the other one ! :clown:

Archived