Best Thai Language Cd ?

gobbledonk

Well, I see I am not alone in overly verbose posts.

Although there is much I don’t agree with in the post by "panadolsandwich", there are also bits of valuable information sprinkled in it too. :confused:

Personally, I dunno how much weight I put into the following statement:

SNIP Anyhow - you've got to love someone, love their culture, love who they are, before you can ever truly be fluent in their language. SNIP

I'm not particularly enamored with, enchanted by, or endeared to either this culture or these people. I also can't say I've ever "loved" a Thai, but that's just me. <_< Don't get me wrong, I totally know what Thais perceive as their "cultural identity". For me, knowing how Thais will react (within their cultural norms) in given situations can be used turned to my benefit most of the time.

I also seem to be able exist here with little problem, yet have voiced vexation, confusion, consternation, displeasure, and down right unhappiness with things to Thais in Thai. It's just never turned into anything more than my opinion versus theirs sort of interaction. It would also appear (on the surface) I am able to converse in Thai with Thais just fine. Now how I've managed to do all this without being "in love" with either Thailand or the Thais is completely beyond me.

Maybe it's like my grandfather told me, "Tod, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while..." :surprised: While off topic, on his death bed, my 89 y/o grandfather also told me, "Tod, fuck every woman you get the chance to, because when you're my age you'll only remember the one's you didn't fuck..." He was a veritable fountain of wisdom, my grandfather...

I know plenty of foreign businessmen who were transferred here by their corporations, and subsequently sent to Thai language classes. They all seem to speak Thai with a very high degree of both fluidity and fluency; especially where it concerns their given trade. This is almost the direct opposite of the plethora of foreigners (some who've been here since Hector was a pup) I've run into who speak horrifically mangled "phrozen-phrase" or "2-word-tourist-Thai". Both forms of Thai I would rate as "effluent" rather than fluent. :closemouth:

I will agree if you don't understand the parameters and/or rules which any culture (even your own) operates under, you're never gonna "get" what's really going on. Be it here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" or anywhere in the whole wide world for that matter. :biggrin:

Still quite the interesting post.. :unsure:

I will go forth and search out other posts by "panadolsandwich" to see what "gems of wisdom" I can glean from their mountainous "pile 'o rocks" posting history. :applause:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still quite the interesting post.. :unsure:

I will go forth and search out other posts by "panadolsandwich" to see what "gems of wisdom" I can glean from their mountainous "pile 'o rocks" posting history. :applause:

Well it's always nice to make a new friend - go take a reccie if that is what you want - you will only find a fount of wisdom lol. I'm unusual in the fact that all my posts have some point - or usually some ending - usually prosaic with unrelenting honesty - since 2005 I've been rescinding myself and most people just don't get it - just don't mention the ahem "General".. I left that last full stop there solely to provoke a certain member of the board - so please ignore it.

Okay I'll do you a favour and I won't try to insult your intelligence.

My gems of wisdom are hard earnt, I share them freely - nobody seems to notice. Anyhow less then 500 posts (I'm already regretting this reply) over a seven year period is hardly a 'mountainous pile of rocks' ha! just look at Gobbledonk the OP!!!!

You've invoked a kind of nostalgic trip - and maybe we can read those old posts together - let's walk arm in arm down memory lane if that is what you want. I'm not quite a philosopher but I like Epicurus and his drudge like pronoucements. What a sham! He liked fucking and sucking just like you and I.

Now do me a favour, and fuck off.

My gems of wisdom are hard earnt, I share them freely - nobody seems to notice. Anyhow less then 500 posts (I'm already regretting this reply) over a seven year period is hardly a 'mountainous pile of rocks' ha! just look at Gobbledonk the OP!!!!

Now do me a favour, and fuck off.

1. I resemble that remark.

2. With infinite pleasure, even if that was directed at someone other than me.

PDS, I think you have made more sense in this post than anything else I've seen over the last few months - clearly, the blue pills are far more beneficial than those nasty green ones.

PDS, I think you have made more sense in this post than anything else I've seen over the last few months - clearly, the blue pills are far more beneficial than those nasty green ones.

Yeah sorry - that barb was too overt wasn't it? I thank you to remind me that I'm losing my finesse.

Anyhow gobble don't get stroppy - we are just having an adult conversation here - you should know better by now, lol.

I like you btw. I don't want you to be upset at me - and no that comment wasn't directed at you - but something tells me you wish it was. A cry for attention maybe? Well okay you've now got my full attention. This is a familiar play by Asian girls - and I'd usually say something like 'There, there' in a low tonal voice while caressing the area near her ear and stroke her hair. But man you've lost me... Surely you are not such a big girl's blouse? I would hope not but - but Christ! - it's all written there, plain for the world to see - now I've got my dreaeded suspicions...

You should be more careful - despite being obviously fucked - I've still got the clear upper hand. And I know when to leave and when to stay in. I never waive bye bye you fucker lol. Far from it - I'll see what the next hand has in store - and I suppose that's something you will never understand.

I get my drugs, pharmaceutical drugs from work. It's not illegal. I make my own difference at the hospital - you need people like me, serious yet tragic - I suppose you'll never understand. This year I've saved about 200 lives. Comparitively small I suppose - but there is a part of me that wonders what proportion of them were worth saving? I'm not going to say any of them deserved to live. Like bowie I had visions of swastikas in my head - I'll give you eyes of blue - my nordic genes were ascendent and It was eternal...

:confused:

Sometimes I wonder if you're really the full bob PS.... I truly hope you are - really.... you're either 11 tenths Superman or simply sad.... I'm hoping the former... really.

G'nite

:shakehead

I apologise for that last post. Yeah I'm the full bob alright. Even that story about the General was based on a true story. I'm just not that creative you see. I can't make anything up. I would love to be a novelist but I don't have the, the fucking patience or time.

Basically everything I've written about here is based on something that's happened in my life. I come here to blow off steam. Sometimes I do feel like superman with the wind behind his back - I'm a surgeon and you just know when you save somebodies life - you just know - you can simply wash your hands and confidently say there's another ten years in that bloke. Obviously I never present unfit for work. I don't want to give away my identity obviously so I won't be more specific then that. I pick up languages like most people eat breakfast. What I do when I knock off work is nobodies business except mine. I like to fly to Asia meet girls and fuck them. I'm not that interested in Western girls that much anymore. I take some pharmaceuticals but its all above board like I say, I'm not even a doctor now I'm a Mr as deemed fit and correct by the Royal College of Surgeons.

You may not like people like me - but I know I pull my own weight and then some and sometimes if I take a high handed manner, then you should know I don't suffer fools lightly and that's all part of the job really. I don't come here to slum it - I just come here to feel normal. If that is sad - then I suppose it is. Yeah am I sad - maybe. I've got a mansion in Krabi and a villa in Manilla - some tenements in Bangkok, I need a gps just to keep track of all the property I own. Don't even ask me why I bought them - I suppose you've got to park your money somewhere...

Archived