New Board Vs Old

khunsanuk

25 members have voted

1. 1. How is this new forum software in relation to the old one?

• A lot worse
    • A little worse
    • About the same
    • A little better
    • A lot better

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

1) Forum Index in the boxes makes the eyes bounce, if your eyes are like mine, need to refocus into each box.

Hmm, had not thought of this. Is this something others are unhappy with as well, as we could easily remove those boxes.

2) White background and type is two small, not comfortable.

This has been brought up before and we have increased the fontsize already. I am quite certain it is the same size as on the old forum, so not sure why it is harder to read.

One thing we might be able to do is reduce the contrast by changing the post background from white to light grey. Would that help?

For reference, here is the support forum of the old forum software. They use the same font size we used on the old board. It is most definitely not larger than the font size here.

3) Jump to, Not Yet Read, is very big,unless a extremely interesting thread, not going to thumb the post to find out where I left off.

Sorry, don't understand what you mean here.

4) Bland, hard to explain, but less character, just another board.

Tough one as well as this is obviously personal preference.

I think you will see this in reduced traffic over time. If you do not see it already ?

Traffic is down, but has been down for quite some time already, well before we moved to this new board.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Hmm, had not thought of this. Is this something others are unhappy with as well, as we could easily remove those boxes.

This has been brought up before and we have increased the fontsize already. I am quite certain it is the same size as on the old forum, so not sure why it is harder to read.

One thing we might be able to do is reduce the contrast by changing the post background from white to light grey. Would that help?

For reference, here is the support forum of the old forum software. They use the same font size we used on the old board. It is most definitely not larger than the font size here.

I went to the URL, type face, boldness or contrast, is different, a bit easier to read.

Sorry, don't understand what you mean here.

UNREAD - Going directly to the posts not yet read in a thread.

Tough one as well as this is obviously personal preference.

YES, for sure, but to me, the old one, was more pleasing, richer format, easier to follow threads, not just another one of the many Thai Forums.

Traffic is down, but has been down for quite some time already, well before we moved to this new board.

Sanuk!

All rolled together, for me makes for a less pleasurable casual read.

Hi,

I think I understand the unread issue now. Looks like I have not yet updated the links on the 'View New Content' and 'Today's Active Topics' lists yet. I'll have a look at this tomorrow.

In the meantime, if you click the little orange icon in front of the link you will get the desired effect (i.e. it takes you to the first unread post in the thread).

Not sure what the difference is with the font though, as checking the stylesheets the font family (type face) is the same - Arial for both.

Anyway, let me try adding a slight background color to the posts and see if that improves readability.

Sanuk!

Hi,

I think I understand the unread issue now. Looks like I have not yet updated the links on the 'View New Content' and 'Today's Active Topics' lists yet. I'll have a look at this tomorrow.

In the meantime, if you click the little orange icon in front of the link you will get the desired effect (i.e. it takes you to the first unread post in the thread).

Not sure what the difference is with the font though, as checking the stylesheets the font family (type face) is the same - Arial for both.

Don't want to seem like a smart ass, but not all Arial at the same pitch (point size), are created equal, or Adobe would not be in business today. As you may have guessed, I have background in the computer print industry, as an engineer and sales manager. (Worked as a field engineer for Centronics,Data Products and Versatec), as a regional sales manager (east of the Mississippi) for AST Research, exclusive sales of the Richoh Laser Print Engine, at $5K, declared in indrustry news media, as the best in the industry for less than $50K. Use to think much of it as horseshit, listening to Adobe's Print Phsycologists at seminars, yet graphic arts people, newspaper layout and print managers did not. Its kinda funny, with young eyes, I did not understand it, as well as, I do today

All in all a lot of bull crap, but I can tell you not good to look "me to" (same as others), format and layout, ease to the eye keeps readers, if they know why or not.

Anyway, let me try adding a slight background color to the posts and see if that improves readability.

Sanuk!

[/quote

BTW, unrelated, but found out something new just now. If you click on the number of replies in a thread (on the thread listing page, in the Stats column) it shows a list of which people posted in that thread, and how many posts they made in it. Not sure what use this is, but well...

There is no linkable text there for me.

Stats

------

6 Replies

Nothing shows any links here.

The old board had quite a lot of posts whereas the new board board really doesn't. The turnover of posts / threads is painfully slow and to be honest there aren't really many threads of any real interest. :dunno::sad:

Ah transition, it can be painful, however, I recall a 3 month period when 4/5 posts were merely a copy to a link from [#$%@].

I think the malaise in the board is simply a reflection of how the west (which should now include affluent Asian countries) is feeling in general ... most cannot afford to travel, local expats are thinning out ... but hey, at least this board still ticks over, like the Mars rovers "Spirit (:rip:) & Opportunity (taking 2 years to get to a Mars crater, but it is still chugging along) ... glass half full :beer:

Archived