Easiest Place To Get Off And Get Back On Tollway In Bangkok Near Sukhumvit

torrenova

I need to drop someone off near Sukhumvit in Bangkok when driving from Hua Hin to Buriram this week and want to know which is the easiest place to do so and get back on the same tollway.

Google maps has the quickest route coming into Bangkok and up past Ploenchit but I can't visualize coming off the tollway there and getting back on easily. Now if I come off at Klong Toei, that seems easier but I have never driven off there and rejoined. The best maps I have seem to indicate it is a simple drop down from the tollway and then a run up again, though you would have to negotiate Rama IV.

My head says to get off near where I know best, around Sukhumvit and get to Bumrungrad as I'll need to get back onto Soi 3 to be on the right side of the tracks to rejoin the tollway again (if my memory serves me right).

Would that be easiest ?

If not, please suggest an easier way.

I need to drop someone off near Sukhumvit in Bangkok when driving from Hua Hin to Buriram this week and want to know which is the easiest place to do so and get back on the same tollway.

Google maps has the quickest route coming into Bangkok and up past Ploenchit but I can't visualize coming off the tollway there and getting back on easily. Now if I come off at Klong Toei, that seems easier but I have never driven off there and rejoined. The best maps I have seem to indicate it is a simple drop down from the tollway and then a run up again, though you would have to negotiate Rama IV.

My head says to get off near where I know best, around Sukhumvit and get to Bumrungrad as I'll need to get back onto Soi 3 to be on the right side of the tracks to rejoin the tollway again (if my memory serves me right).

Would that be easiest ?

If not, please suggest an easier way.

If it were me, I would stay on the Bangna-Chonburi expressway until you reach At Narong junction and then take the Ramintra - At Narong Expressway until you see a sign saying Sukhumvit Soi 50. Drop your friend at Tesco Lotus (which is right at the exit and has a skytrain link, and then rejoin the expressway where you got off.

Follow the expressway signs for Din Daeng and then you will be back on the Don Muang Expressway which is where you need to be heading.

It's a route that takes you "two sides of a triangle" but it is the easiest way to get off and back on again the expressway if you're not sure of the area.

The quickest way is Sukhumviy Soi 3 exit. You will actually get off on Phetburi Road (not Sukhumvit) and will have to make your way to Sukhumvit from there. A few U-Turns will be required to get you back the right way to the expressway.

Hope that's clear as mud.

Cheers for that.

I realised I would not be coming off at Sukhumvit coming in that way but thought that even if I didn't know exactly where I was, it should (ha ha) be a relatively simple task to locate Bumrungrad and from there, my idea of getting back via Soi 3 would be plain sailing.

I'll study your Soi 50 idea this evening but just to clarify, can I still get back onto the correct tollway from Soi 3 and then turning right and driving on the wrong side of the road so to speak going past Soi zero ?

Maybe exit on to Rama 4 heading north, brings you out near Klong Toey, crawl along Rama 4 a little until the U turn under the fly over at Sathorn then back up Rama 4 to join the expressway across the other side of Rama 4 from where you exited. Easy enough but for the crawl along Rama 4 but not too bad a diversion for such a long journey.

NB. Do NOT try this between 5 and 8pm! You WILL go mad!

Cheers for that.

I realised I would not be coming off at Sukhumvit coming in that way but thought that even if I didn't know exactly where I was, it should (ha ha) be a relatively simple task to locate Bumrungrad and from there, my idea of getting back via Soi 3 would be plain sailing.

I'll study your Soi 50 idea this evening but just to clarify, can I still get back onto the correct tollway from Soi 3 and then turning right and driving on the wrong side of the road so to speak going past Soi zero ?

Yes you can. When you come off the expressway at Phetburi Road, turn left (it's the only way you can go). Get into the right hand lane and go for about 500 metres or so. Turn right at the lights and you are now on Sukhumvit Soi 3. Get in the far right hand lane, and when you get to the lights opposite Nana Hotel you can turn right on the correct side of the road to join the Expressway

• 1 month later...

use rama 9 (rama ix) which will avoid any traffic at all & your drop off will only be a few red lights or mrt stops from sukhumvit/asoke.

basically as u exit keep right & turn right into the 'uturn lane' which will bring u directly back onto the expressway back to din daeng/northbound where u come from & need to go ;)

anyway dont tell anyone else!!

actually if you wanna save a few bahts (re entry toll fee) there's a 'secret' free uturn option at the sukhumvit (soi 1) exit which may work even better in this case (more or less the same distance/detour to drive).

then u can drop your friend off delicately as u complete the uturn...

keep right at the exit & as u approach there is a small uturn to the right not far from the exit!

then you're on you're way back to din daeng & tollway (most expensive & boring option north) or chang wattana/bang-pa-in expressway (slightly longer but more scenic way)!

enjoy the ride :D

Archived