Flights I Dont Turn Up For ...

gobbledonk

I know - what kind of whacko pays for flights on a low-cost carrier only to see the date come and go, right ? Without going into the details, I have paid for a couple of Air Asia flights that I have no intention of catching and everything I have read indicates that the best I could hope for would be to get the airport taxes back in several months time. For the hassle involved, I cant be bothered, but I wondered if anyone has ever tried this with one of the low-cost carriers ?

On the plus side, they were insanely cheap fares ;)

From what i understand, and I took a LOT of cheap flights when I was living in the UK, one reason they are cheap is because they are not flexible. With my Thai Air flights (MEL_BKK_LON return) I made countless changes for free, but with my budget airline flights within Europe ANY changes were either not possible, or incurred a fee which basically raised the price to the equivalent of a Qantas/BA flight.

That is my understanding, too, RB - you are basically paying for a seat on a given 'bus', and if you dont turn up then thats too bad. Given the money that I spent rejigging a return flight to Oz a couple of years back ('rebooking fee'), thats fine with me, particularly as airport tax ex Swampy isnt a patch on what we pay at Oz airports.

I missed a Thailand domestic Air Asia flight this year when one of my connecting flights went tits up in Australia.

I was a day late and got into Swampy about midnight and was waiting at the Air Asia office when it opened at four.

I explained the situation and the girl apologised and said I had booked a promotion flight and had to make up the price of the full fare, about 50 bucks, to get the flight that day.

She then gave me a receipt and a ticket showing considerably more than that, which I later presented to Virgin Blue, the airline that fucked up the connection.

Which they ignored, but the thought was there.

I missed a Thailand domestic Air Asia flight this year when one of my connecting flights went tits up in Australia.

I was a day late and got into Swampy about midnight and was waiting at the Air Asia office when it opened at four.

I explained the situation and the girl apologised and said I had booked a promotion flight and had to make up the price of the full fare, about 50 bucks, to get the flight that day.

She then gave me a receipt and a ticket showing considerably more than that, which I later presented to Virgin Blue, the airline that fucked up the connection.

Which they ignored, but the thought was there.

Its the part about 'got to the airport at midnight and had to wait till 4am for AirAsia to open' that struck a chord with me - my deepest sympathies. I loathe hanging around airports at any hour of the day (5 hours at the Bali 'bus shelter' tops my list), but that particular timeframe would annoy the hell out of me. Please tell me the food and drink outlets on the lower level at Swampy are 24/7 ....

I had to wait about 7 hours for an Air Asia flight back from Penang once. No one said a word of explanation, and the boards told us to change gates twice! The Malaysians actually turned the lights off on us at midnight, which loud screaming and protesting perusaded them to switch on again. Nowhere to get even a cup of coffee though. The 6.30pm flight finally boarded at 1.30am. Turned out the flight had been delayed in Bangkok, though it would have been nice if they told us WTF was going on. I arrived home at about 3.30am and had to be at work at 7.30am. :p

Still, that was the only fark up in the 5 flights I've made with Air Asia.

I often put an 8 hour shift in at Swampy now, time I get through immigration and have to check back into domestic for an early flight it's hardly worth me going into town, I'm not going to sleep for 3 hours anyway.

There's plenty open, I usually have bowl of Kao tom gung at the Chinese then breakfast at Burger King in Domestic.

• 2 weeks later...

I've received the airport tax fees back from Air Asia with no problems.

You have to 'phone them AFTER the flight has departed without you on it and they will process it automatically. They're not interested in you calling boforehand and cancelling the booking even though they could make extra money by reselling it?

You have to 'pone them for both sectors.

Archived