Too Many Katoeys On Asian Dating Sites

gobbledonk

Several years ago, I signed up to a dating site. Although I rarely go there, they email me whenever someone has sent an email or whatever - usually scammers from Nigeria but occasionally some desperate lass from China. I occasionally scan the Thai 'girls' on the site, and its obvious that quite a few are Katoeys. At least its obvious to me - some poor sod in Dogpatch, Iowa might think he has hit the jackpot when he comes across a tall, articulate Thai 'lady' with good English and nice clothes.

We've played 'spot the katoey' several times on the board, and I dont think any of us get 100% every time (?), but the individuals on this site have clearly spent a lot of time and money on makeup designed to present them as 'Barbie Dolls'. In some cases, they admit they are ladyboys, but in many they omit that little detail. I dont want to deny them their fun, but what is the world coming to when you cant trust someone you meet online, particularly a transvestite from Thailand ? ;)

I don't see why khatoeys should be banned from the sites, but they should definitely be identified as "women of the second kind". One problem is that if they have had the chop, the khatoeys seem to think of themselves as real women. Usually easy enough to spot them in real life, but maybe not from a photo. :p

I've only had one real-life encounter where I didnt pick up on the fact that I was (apparently) talking to a Katoey, and I was quite drunk that night. Of course, the cynics would argue that I could have talked to hundreds of them and never known it without asking to see their IDs : I guess we'll just have to settle on a figure around 80-90% ;)

I might be going out on a limb here, but I dont consider post-op katoeys to be 'women'. The only situation where I view gender reassignment differently is when it was done at a very early age, esp in cases where the child had an abnormality which required the surgery. I'm not an expert on transexuals, but its not what I'm looking for in a 'woman' : they should have their own section on such sites.

post-98-0-31131800-1314783678_thumb.jpg

Item in today's Bangkok Post about the transsexuals complaining that they are described as "psychotic" on their exemption from military service. The Army says only cross-dressers should be called khatoeys, not the guys who've had their balls whacked off and their willy turned inside out. :p

Archived