Thai Citizenship?

khunsanuk

Hi,

Followed a Google Ads link to this page: http://www.tilalegal.com/thai-citizenship.php

It mentions they can help foreigners obtain Thai citizenship, not permanent residency, but full citizenship incl land ownership.

Has anyone ever heard of this before as it is definitely news to me. The requirements also sounds awfully similar to those for permanent residency.

Sanuk!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only Farangs (other than half-n-halfs) I've ever met who were Thai citizens were western women married to Thai men. That seems to make it much easier. Thai chauvinist logic says a woman should be with her husband. If a Thai woman marries a foreigner, she should go live in his country! I recall that you have to adopt a Thai name and cannot vote for many years after you become a citizen.

And their Permanent Residency page somewhat contradicts the Citizenship page.

Quote.

Second step

Once the application date is announced Tila will submit your application along with all documents required to the Thai Immigration Bureau. The result of the application will normally be announced in May and the residence permits will be issued in December. Thai residency permit will never expire, except it has been revoked. However, if you plan to leave the country, you need to apply for re-entry permit. After you live in Thailand for FIVE consecutive years with permanent residence permit, you will be eligible for applying for Thai citizenship.

So here it says after 5 years of PR you can APPLY. Given you need 3 before applying for PR my rusty maths says that should be 8 years total before you can apply for citizenship.

And what's this on the PR page that says:

A permanent resident has the privileges as following:

• Able to buy a condominium in Thailand without being required to transfer money from bank account abroad;
  • Can apply for naturalization citizenship in accordance with the law concerned.
  • Children born in The Kingdom will be granted Thai nationality.
  • Can be a director of a public company in Thailand.
  • Able to apply for an extension of stay or permanent residence for non-Thai family members.

The one about children born in The Kingdom will be granted Thai nationality. DO they mean to parents who are both non-Thai, hmm seems unlikely I would think. If one parent is Thai then they are automatic Thai whether the other parent has PR or not.

For 'experts' they seem to have some issues.

A permanent resident has the privileges as following:

• Children born in The Kingdom will be granted Thai nationality.

The one about children born in The Kingdom will be granted Thai nationality. DO they mean to parents who are both non-Thai, hmm seems unlikely I would think. If one parent is Thai then they are automatic Thai whether the other parent has PR or not.

No, it is not automatic. Had to go through loops with the Amphur, seems that the kids *should* be given the father's nationality unless otherwise advised, even if the wife is Thai.

The only Farangs (other than half-n-halfs) I've ever met who were Thai citizens were western women married to Thai men. That seems to make it much easier. Thai chauvinist logic says a woman should be with her husband. If a Thai woman marries a foreigner, she should go live in his country! I recall that you have to adopt a Thai name and cannot vote for many years after you become a citizen.

The only farangs I know with Thai citizenship are both highly successful businessmen that have renounced their home country citizenship. One is a well known American; the other is a Brit [from London].

Their children (none have Thai mothers) are dual citizens.

TH

No, it is not automatic. Had to go through loops with the Amphur, seems that the kids *should* be given the father's nationality unless otherwise advised, even if the wife is Thai.

Okay, that's interesting. Both of my kids were born in Bangkok, Bumrungrad, both received Thai birth certificates at birth, both are on the Tabien baan, both have Thai passports (and UK ones). Never a question but I wonder if the Amphur you refer to was other than Bangkok. When you say 'unless otherwise advised', by who, either or both parents?

Cheers

Archived