Thai Citizenship?

khunsanuk

I spoke to a guy who has been waiting for his PR all that time. He said the good thing about it is that he doesn't have to do 90 day reports or extend his visa. He has been living all the time without having to do any of the visa hassle.

p.s. Bill Heinecke - Thai citizen. Didn't know he'd renounced his US citizenship. Why would he? (Except maybe it was when the Thais wouldn't recognise dual citizenship. They do now.)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, that's interesting. Both of my kids were born in Bangkok, Bumrungrad, both received Thai birth certificates at birth, both are on the Tabien baan, both have Thai passports (and UK ones). Never a question but I wonder if the Amphur you refer to was other than Bangkok. When you say 'unless otherwise advised', by who, either or both parents?

Cheers

The Amphur was in Bangkok. If you are a citizen of an ASEAN country, dual citizenship is not allowed. This was almost twenty years ago, so comments by Flash re not recognising dual citizenship may also have applied at the time.

Re 'unless otherwise advised', it was expected that the child would take the citizenship of the father; this (initially) came from the staff at the hospital (another well-known private hospital in Bangkok) where the child was born. The embassy later confirmed this. You had to ask for the citizenship of the mother if she was Thai.

Okay on all the above. Seems that these things change over time, like the Thai woman losing her right to own land when marrying a foreigner also no longer applies. I never did get the no dual citizenship thing, hard to enforce when as in the case of UK if born of UK national parent then you will always be considered a UK national by UK. Even if you vehemently denounce such and then go back and ask for a UK passport you will still get it. Essentially can't ever be lost even if you throw it away. Same thing in Thailand I understand, children born of a Thai parent would always be considered Thai.Why bother even arguing about it.

Thai women didn't lose any property they already owned when they married a foreigner, but they could not buy any more. I know several Farangs who had to divorce their wife so she could buy a home for them. It became so common that the police might be sent around to see if they were still living together. Nowadays, I understand a woman may own something like 1/4 acre of land. Not much ... but it is something.

p.s. You are right on UK citizenship. You can't get rid of it! That's what did in "Lord Hawhaw" after WWII. He had renounced his UK citizenship and become a German citizen before the war, but the UK hanged him for treason anyway.

• 4 months later...

I'm sure I've known Thai women married to farang who continued to buy land....

Edit... ah, no they didn't the penny just dropped, they bought it in another family members name. B)

I am not sure about the Laws in Thailand. My wife and I got married in Australia and only had a traditional ceremony in Thailand. She uses her married name in Australia but her maiden name in Thailand. When purchasing property, she has never had any issues.

I am not sure about the Laws in Thailand. My wife and I got married in Australia and only had a traditional ceremony in Thailand. She uses her married name in Australia but her maiden name in Thailand. When purchasing property, she has never had any issues.

A Thai woman married to a farang, even with her husband’s surname, can buy all the property she wants. The only requirement is the farang husband must sign an affidavit stating the money used to buy the land is not marital property. I know this for a fact as I have signed the affidavit several times. One time for 20 rai upcountry as well a freehold townhouse in Bangkok.

The law changed in 1997 or something. For some reason this one of those Thai urban myths that just won’t go away, even in some Land Dept offices.

TH

Guest lazyphil

The only Farangs (other than half-n-halfs) I've ever met who were Thai citizens were western women married to Thai men. That seems to make it much easier. Thai chauvinist logic says a woman should be with her husband. If a Thai woman marries a foreigner, she should go live in his country! I recall that you have to adopt a Thai name and cannot vote for many years after you become a citizen.

could my daughter get dual nationality?if so i could buy a house in her name in years to come if i can scrape enough money to do so :surprised:

I'm not sure if the child has to be born in Thailand or not to have Thai citizenship (I'm sure other Thai 360 members would know). My 4 year old son was born in Thailand and has dual citizenship. I still have a house just outside of Chiang Mai and the plan is to have it put in his name at the earliest possible time, when he turns 15 years old. With a mother that still speaks pigeon holed English (I've just about given up on her applying for U.S. citizenship because she would probably not pass the English part of the test) and 3 older step brothers/sisters, he is speaking both Thai and English. I plan on him learning how to read and write Thai. I can't predict whether he will want live in LOS as an adult but, if he does, I expect him to have the best of both worlds living in LOS.

Archived