Thai Citizenship?

khunsanuk

could my daughter get dual nationality?if so i could buy a house in her name in years to come if i can scrape enough money to do so :surprised:

Your daughter is Thai already by virtue of her mother being a Thai citizen. You can get her a Thai birth certificate and passport at the Thai embassy in London

Register a Birth (Thai Birth Certificate)

You can buy a house in child's name, but there are some issues with that and it is likely would not be the protection you are looking for. A judge in a divorce could still give control of the proerty to the wife. Also the property cannot be sold until the child is 21.

TH

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

Your daughter is Thai already by virtue of her mother being a Thai citizen. You can get her a Thai birth certificate and passport at the Thai embassy in London

Register a Birth (Thai Birth Certificate)

You can buy a house in child's name, but there are some issues with that and it is likely would not be the protection you are looking for. A judge in a divorce could still give control of the proerty to the wife. Also the property cannot be sold until the child is 21.

TH

thanks (and deans post) i think its time this was sorted, good for her to have a thai passport--as for the property thing, well its just a dream :elephant: but dreams keep me moving forward :surprised:

I'm not sure if the child has to be born in Thailand or not to have Thai citizenship (I'm sure other Thai 360 members would know). My 4 year old son was born in Thailand and has dual citizenship. I still have a house just outside of Chiang Mai and the plan is to have it put in his name at the earliest possible time, when he turns 15 years old. With a mother that still speaks pigeon holed English (I've just about given up on her applying for U.S. citizenship because she would probably not pass the English part of the test) and 3 older step brothers/sisters, he is speaking both Thai and English. I plan on him learning how to read and write Thai. I can't predict whether he will want live in LOS as an adult but, if he does, I expect him to have the best of both worlds living in LOS.

Well if he decides to live in Thailand before he's 40 I think he will get to enjoy serving for a couple of years in the armed forces, likely a good long stint as a grunt in the South.

My son will have about as much chance to serve in the military as the Thai well to do, which means absolutely no chance. When the time comes, I'll find out who to make the right payments to to insure that. I had this discussion with a Thai that I have known for 14 years and she claims that there would be no discrimination against him in the thai military, even though he looks western. I highly doubt that. His step brother, who is 17 and live in the U.S. with a P.R. card, is another matter. At present, he has no desire to live in LOS but does want to join the military when he graduates form High school in May, 2013. I think that he will find out that, unlike the video games that he plays for hours on end, in the military, the opponents bullets do hurt.

Tell him to join the Air Farce or the Navy - lots of jobs that offer real training and next to no danger. My primary Military Occupation Specialty was a combat engineer, secondary was infantry. The "civilian job equivalent" on my discharge is marked "none". Well, I could be a mad bomber or a mercenary, I suppose. :hmmm:

Even if the kid insists on the Army or USMC, there are plenty of occupation specialties that teach you something useful - besides fun things I learned like setting up ambushes, making assault river crossings, field fortifications, mines and booby traps, combat demolitions and such. Go for electronics, aviation, photography etc.

My son will have about as much chance to serve in the military as the Thai well to do, which means absolutely no chance. When the time comes, I'll find out who to make the right payments to to insure that. I had this discussion with a Thai that I have known for 14 years and she claims that there would be no discrimination against him in the thai military, even though he looks western. I highly doubt that. His step brother, who is 17 and live in the U.S. with a P.R. card, is another matter. At present, he has no desire to live in LOS but does want to join the military when he graduates form High school in May, 2013. I think that he will find out that, unlike the video games that he plays for hours on end, in the military, the opponents bullets do hurt.

Sounds like the right plan. I consider the same approach but not sure if it would be realistic for me. The guy next door has paid to have his son ruled unsuitable but it cost, 7 figures and the first was not a 1 as he told me. Well it's something to save for at least.

Right too, no discrimination, they all do time in the south.

Conscripts into the Thai Army invariably go to combat arms, unless they can fiddle something. That means infantry, artillery, armour and combat engineers. Figure two years of tough work plus you are very lucky if you even make lance corporal. It makes more sense to enlist in the RTAF or RTN.

I don't know about serving in the South. The Thais I've talked to who were conscripts all served either on the Burmese or Cambodian borders.

• 1 month later...

I know of one 100% farang family that is also 100% thai citizens. They acquired it in the 80's though.

I know of two.

One is fairly high profile due to the majority ownership of the listed company wit many well known subsidiaries.

The other family is much less well known due the business focus on a specific industry except for the ownership of very well known pub.

TH

Archived