One And A Half Newbie Fishermen

Redbaron

Took Red junior (4yo boy) for a spot of fishing the past two weekends. Freshwater, looking for redfin, carp, or anything which will bring a smile to his little face. :up:

Weekend 1, I did a bit of googling, looking for somewhere not too far from home (Melbourne's West), lest he lose interest on the way. He'd never been before, but got pretty excited when I showed him his new rod, and mini tackle box. :spin:

"Cobbledicks Reserve" - (it's very easy for vandals to turn a C into a G) between Werribee and Melton. Not one nibble, although he did have an awesome time, which is the main thing - even though the first cast got caught in the trees. Used soft plastic grub type lures. Even though it was sunny, the river was very murky, as we'd had a lot of rain and it was flowing quite quickly. We fished a little clearing on the river itself, after walking around before we left as he was slowly falling asleep on his feet, I saw the spot we were probably better off starting at.. Nevermind. :(

Weekend 2 - Melton/Exford Reservoir. A couple of the lads at work recommended this place, the "pond" at the bottom of the dam wall. Big clearing, beautiful waterfall, and a sunny day. I *think* he got a couple of nibbles, but it seemed every time we bought our lines in they were snagged.. Spent a lot of time re jigging both our rods before switching to floats in an attempt to avoid snags. Of course every time he got snagged, he thought he's caught Moby Dick!

As advised we were using live worms, corn as well as trying to "bounce" soft plastics of the bottom using those hooks with the weight on the top of 'em.. (Sorry - told you we were beginners). Did a bit of spinning as well...

Yesterday, dropped into our local tackle shop (shameless plug: Hook, Line and Sinker, Old Geelong Road - fantastic service - near Bunnings), and asked for a bit of advice. I don't want the little guy to lose interest simply because he hasn't caught a thing. He advised us to head down to Barwon Heads (just over an hour away) for a spot of flathead fishing using pilchard fillets - reckons I'll get sick of re baiting the hooks... I'll be happy with that. Might try Werribee today (15 mins away - haven't got the boy, so will have a try myself, and if successful will take him next time).

Thanks for reading lads - happy fishing

Good luck for this venture

I've found over the years that fishing has kept me sane, it's a magnificent pastime and don't worry about not hooking fish too much, become part of the surroundings - at one with nature etc.

My uncle used to take me trout fishing when I was a kid, I never caught one until I was 25, but those trips as a nipper were magic.

I remember pure bush streams we could drink from.

Instant powdered soup that tasted like ambrosia, and seeing the wealth of wildlife in situ, great great trips...

Cheers

I've found over the years that fishing has kept me sane, it's a magnificent pastime and don't worry about not hooking fish too much, become part of the surroundings - at one with nature etc.

Thanks coss, hopefully by Feb I'll have a few bragging stories to tell. To be honest, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if I go all day without a nibble. Spending quality time alone, or with my son is golden for reasons you outline above. I just don't want the boy to get bored constantly not catching fish. At the moment he's having a ball though.

lol - my dad wears socks and thongs! Sis always stirs him up about it, especially as he won't throw socks out until there are more than 2 holes on EACH sock!

Great looking fish there J2, if I can tear myself away from the bars this Feb I may give it a crack

Archived