Bangkok To Have Alcohol Free Zones

Coss

link

BANGKOK, 31 August 2011 (NNT)-Bangkok will have alcohol free zones across the city with the move determined to curb violence that often stems from binge drinking.

Deputy Permanent Secretary for Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) MD. Peerapong Saicheua will sign the memorandum of understanding with MD. Narong Sahamethapat, the Deputy Permanent Secretary for Public Health, to enforce an alcohol free zone on every public park, government building and police station.

Selling, drinking and advertising alcohol will be prohibited in these places. Alcoholic drinks can only be sold in a shop or a club. The legal age to drink alcohol is 20 years and over. Sales of alcohol will be limited to two periods. From 11.00 hrs – 14.00 hrs and from 17.00 hrs – 24.00 hrs.

_________

Damn, there goes an end to my public park/government building/police station drinking binges....

They already have alcohol-free zones. There are signs in all the Buddhist temples. Think there have been signs up at all the government buildings and police stations for a while now.

The parks seem to be the new thing.

Not that anything will change.

Every public park I've ever been to in Bangkok has signs prohibiting alcohol beverages, and they have for years.

I love how sleazy Thaivisa.com treated this announcement: in their "update" e-mail designed to get as many people as possible to their website, they used the misleading title "Bangkok to become alcohol-free zone," knowing it would send the worried farangs to their site in droves.

So where is the legal basis for this? WE SAY SO, therefore you will do it. So if you get arrested and go to court, what are they going to charge you with? A lawyer could have fun with this ... or rather could in any normal country. :p

What will they decide next, that short skirts cause sex crimes and all women under 50 years of age will have to wear mumus? Sounds like the early 1940s, when Pibunsongkram declared that all Thais must wear hats when outdoors. No hat and you'd be arrested.

Archived