Thai Women Who 'dont Drink' ....

gobbledonk

An old mate of mine, not shy of the odd tipple, was often heard to proclaim that he just couldn't trust an adult who didn't drink. The implication was that their innermost feelings were locked up tight and that made him nervous.

Not sure if there is a stigma attached to a Thai 'good girl' admitting that she occasionally enjoys alcohol, but I'm surprised by the number of women who have 'Dont drink' in their profiles. I know alcohol scars a lot of lives in Thailand, as it does virtually everywhere else, but to me logic would dictate that single women well into their 30s would be drinking at every opportunity, particularly those who claim to have no kids. Hmm - if you cant trust someone's internet profile, does that mean there really is no God ? ;)

(btw, I do realise that women outside the Farang bar scene arent the same as those in the bar, but I'm not talking tequila shots night after night, as entertaining as that can undeniably be)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most see their dads die in an alcohol related incident, either driving, gambling, stupidity or health problems, usually before they turn 40 ... I can imagine why they don't want to drink :beer:

And also, the reason for the break down of the family by being out drinking with other woman or the boys, no sleep, no job etc etc

It would be interesting to compare the per-capita intake of alcohol between Thailand and Oz. I'm sure binge drinking happens all over the world, and we've all seen Thais get completely trashed at those places that sell whiskey by the bottle, but I suspect that Australians are heavier drinkers overall.

True - big difference between having a couple of beers and drinking Mehkong until the sun comes up. I very rarely drink here in Oz - if my brother-in-law didnt offer me one, I could easily go for 6 months at a time without a single drink. Different story in Asia though, and its getting expensive to drink in Farang/Bule-oriented establishments.

Err... that article isn't exactly what you said.

In fact is says... Individuals who experience the alcohol flushing reaction may be less prone to alcoholism

It's also poorly researched, what percentage of Asians "suffer" from it as opposed to Westerners?

I'm usually a big fan of Wiki but that's a load of shite.

I am most sorry, my comment "genetically unable to handle alcohol." was intended to mean:

My wives and a lot of their families have a reaction to alcohol that means they don't drink a lot. This is genetic and well known.

Here is a link to google that shows a lot of results about what I am talking about. link

Cheers

Coss

Archived