Gobble's Epic Countdown Thread

gobbledonk

Sitting in Soi 7/1 Sukhumvit having a nice cold San Miguel Light (with ice) ... shock horror the Boosa Bar is no more, it is being ripped down and another Go Go Bar is being erected ... it is quiet in the soi but hey, it is only 2:30 PM :beer:

A gogo on 7/1? That should be interesting. I stayed at the Maxim hotel down at the end for a couple days once, and my friend and his very conservative wife gave me a lift there. Anyway, she did not like 7/1 and gave me one of those 'what the hell are you staying down here for' looks with some subtle questions. :) Actually, their family is good people and kindhearted. She was very approving when I moved to the Darjelling hotel on soi 18 (always seem to end up there, it's the Dave32 spot) to "get away from the riff-raff" on 7/1. :grinyes: (the real reason, some greedy weasel at the reception desk tried to charge me a joiner fee on my second night).

Envy you going to Korea. Some of the most attractive women I've met, anywhere, have been Korean, and they are fiery. Also, right there at the top of the favorite food list is a good korean BBQ with all the sides and a big bottle of Hite. Much higher cost of living there though, yeah?

Arrive in LoS on 11/11/11 (note: if you run those numbers in the Kabbalah and then translate them to language it comes out: Póg mo Thóin). :) There for 3 weeks, scouting trip, some R&R, meet up for a week with friends, and do a little prep for the big one (stay for a year) coming in July 2012.

Right. In other words, none of it means fuck all except this --> good luck and best wishes. That goes for all you bastards making a journey.

:beer:

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had an apartment in Miller Indiana off of Lake Michigan (early 90s). Sub zero was the norm in January. Had a diesel Jetta which required an electronically heated dipstick in the evening to prevent the oil from becoming sludge. Had to start car half hour before work and let it run, before even thinking about attacking the ice caked on the windows.

One night I'm out with my friends, I'm the designated driver, they have their cars parked at my place. 3am go to head home and it's a blizzard, it's ugly. I tell them that when we get back they should sleep on the floor rather than try and drive home. Anyway, we get back to the apartment (a small cottage behind a large property), and the door lock is frozen and jammed. Tired and cold so I ram the door with my shoulder and break it where the dead bolt goes in. Crap. Once inside the gas heater doesn't work nor does the faucet (frozen). Anyway, we wedge the door shut and I hand out a couple extra sleeping bags and blankets, then wrap myself like a cocoon and pass out.

A couple hours later I hear a loud BANG, then whoosh, whoosh, whooosh. And muffled cries from the front room "hey, the door broke open." I yell back "well shut it." Fall back asleep.

I had a scarf around my face and was completely covered. But a little later I can sense daylight and pull the scarf down. There is snow everywhere, completely covering the floor, my bed, clothes, kitchen, everything. My friends are wound up in sleeping bags that are covered in snow. FUCK ME!!!!!

So we grab a shovel and a broom and clean it out. Glue the broken piece back to the door frame. And I drive an hour to get to my parent's home and some heat.

Yeah, I don't miss that. :)

Hi,

Right, my wife was amazed that my sister had to scrape the ice/snow of her car before she could go home.

Sanuk!

True, but I'm assuming she didnt have to take on BKK traffic tho ....

(Jakarta is worse, but its a little like saying Stalin was worse than Hitler - people suffer either way)

Hi,

"(as I have never lived in the snow)"

Snow is utterly fantastic the first few days AND if you don't have to go anywhere.

After a few days it gets really jucky and you WILL curse it if you have to go to work every day.

Sanuk!

I don't really have to work, but if I get a job there I may take it, as it is the best way to meet girls. Whilst it can be done the language barrier is a problem, even despite the fact that maybe 20% of them do speak English :beer:

If it gets to cold or miserable I can always shoot over to the Philippines on Cebu Pacific, they always seem to have cheap flights between the two countries :beer:

A gogo on 7/1? That should be interesting. I stayed at the Maxim hotel down at the end for a couple days once, and my friend and his very conservative wife gave me a lift there. Anyway, she did not like 7/1 and gave me one of those 'what the hell are you staying down here for' looks with some subtle questions. :) Actually, their family is good people and kindhearted. She was very approving when I moved to the Darjelling hotel on soi 18 (always seem to end up there, it's the Dave32 spot) to "get away from the riff-raff" on 7/1. :grinyes: (the real reason, some greedy weasel at the reception desk tried to charge me a joiner fee on my second night).

Envy you going to Korea. Some of the most attractive women I've met, anywhere, have been Korean, and they are fiery. Also, right there at the top of the favorite food list is a good korean BBQ with all the sides and a big bottle of Hite. Much higher cost of living there though, yeah?

Arrive in LoS on 11/11/11 (note: if you run those numbers in the Kabbalah and then translate them to language it comes out: Póg mo Thóin). :) There for 3 weeks, scouting trip, some R&R, meet up for a week with friends, and do a little prep for the big one (stay for a year) coming in July 2012.

Right. In other words, none of it means fuck all except this --> good luck and best wishes. That goes for all you bastards making a journey.

:beer:

It is still being built, but word on the street it is being rented from the previous owner by the French outfit that operates Magic Table, the bar adjoining it.

Boosa Bar use to have that old charm about it, if somewhat considerably worn ... but you could always get a Samsung and soda all day and night for 60 baht :beer:

post-17667-0-19459100-1315445748_thumb.jpg

Archived