Gobble's Epic Countdown Thread

gobbledonk

If I had to choose between life in Udon and life in Chumphon, I'd definitely choose Udon. It might not be Farang Party Central, and the average age of the Farang I saw in 2008 was about 110 (!), but there is an airport and cheap flights for those occasions when small town life all gets too much. Chumphon, by contrast, is either 5 hours on a bus or about 12 (seemed like it ..) on a train - no thanks.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, and Chiang Rai are tops on the 'need to fucking visit' list next time around. They might be quiet and a little detached from the great metropolis -- but that's where the path is going. And I want to take the train - just to see. It took me awhile to realize that a province and a city could be named the same thing, I made an ass out of myself a couple times pressing people on what 'city' or town they came from (didn't know that Udon was also a city). Yep, I am/was that flat-out ignorant.

I hear ya on being a little confined if on an ED Visa, but don't mind -- obviously have enough to learn about LoS. Maybe in 2014 I'll start looking broader. The only decision I have is - do I got to a reputable Bangkok University program and spend the time there, or, use another program (not a shady one, but not at the University level) that would allow me to bounce between BKK and CNX.

I don't know what it is about Chiang Mai, but if I were one of these retiring guys.....

Anyway sir, t-6.

BB, I'm sitting here wondering what it must be like to go from LOS back to a Belgian Winter - I marvel at your fortitude, sir. Its bucketing down rain here and has been for days, the rivers are rising and I have had about 4 hours sleep - these things are sent to try us, but right now I'd give anything for a time machine.

BB, I'm sitting here wondering what it must be like to go from LOS back to a Belgian Winter - I marvel at your fortitude, sir. Its bucketing down rain here and has been for days, the rivers are rising and I have had about 4 hours sleep - these things are sent to try us, but right now I'd give anything for a time machine.

Its never really winter here, except for a few short periods like right now.

No snow and open skies, last night driving back it was -11 C, pretty cold......

And going probably back to LOS in july for 3 weeks.....and again in december for 6 weeks.

C'est la vie.

BB

And going probably back to LOS in july for 3 weeks.....and again in december for 6 weeks.

C'est la vie.

BB

That's the part where I could never really man up - knowing that each trip would be separated by 6 or so months of life back in the Land of Endless Tedium. I know - its what you make it yada yada - but I cant think of another experience as depressing as the cab back to Swampy. It would be even moreso if I had to go back to -11 temps (and the long nights that go with that) - anyway, I'm sure you can look forward to your next sojourn a mere 6 months from now.

Archived