A Thought Or Two On The Upcoming Ios 5 And Icloud

Coss

I've a thought, yes I know, smoke coming out my ears...

The so called streaming that IOS 5 and the iCloud are going to do for music and movies etc, is likely to be interesting.

It transpires that it's not gonna be real streaming, the content will still be stored on the local device ( in a user non-accessible cache of some sort ), but the download of it and access to it will be controlled from the cloud.

What this means, I think, is that you wont be able to access the content locally, you'll have to go to the cloud to get at it ( if you want to use iTunes et al ). It also raises the possibility that Apple could remotely delete it, much like Amazon has done on a few occasions with the Kindle and it's books.

I think this means that along with the "simplification" the user experience for the non tech minded, in IOS 5, some of the easy "pirate" use of media, will be that much more difficult to attain.

You will be able to faux "load" you own content into the cloud (whilst the files still reside in the local cache) but access to it will be from the cloud and ergo Apple will know what it is.

I think this is a triumph for copyrights holders, and a bunch of hurdles for the "fair use" fellows like me.

Presumably the interesting folks that do JailBreaks and Unlocks for the iPhone will find a way around this, but it take be some time and be an imperfect solution

I may have this all wrong.

Any thoughts? - discuss...

Archived