Northern Thai Greeting?

gwanoy

Right, but it is only used when adressing little children.

You may well be right.

I did ask some Thais though, they said any age group can use it.

There's also a scene in the Thai film à¹à¸«à¸¢à¸¡à¸¢à¹‚สธร (2005) I saw recently where the lovers SOI สร้อย and THAWNG ทอง (both in their 20s) use it with each other. :dunno:

You may well be right.

I did ask some Thais though, they said any age group can use it.

There's also a scene in the Thai film à¹à¸«à¸¢à¸¡à¸¢à¹‚สธร (2005) I saw recently where the lovers SOI สร้อย and THAWNG ทอง (both in their 20s) use it with each other. :dunno:

Well, lover`s language is often close to the infantile :)

I have heard this expression regularly over the years. I have kids, my friends have kids.

And it was only used with them when they were babies or little children.

But of course I bow to the knowledge of your thai friends.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

About half of the people in Surin can speak Northern Khmer, though the latest census shows this to have declined from 63% in the previous census. (Khmer speakers are moving to Bangkok and not passing the language on.) Another 27% in Buriram speak Northern Khmer. The Surin Khmer tend to get very pissed off at Phnom Penh Cambodians claiming the ancient temples in the region, since the Northern Khmer figure their ancestors are the ones who did the labour, not those yahoos far to the south. If you want to get a Surin or Buriram Khmer fighting mad, just bring up Preah Vihar temple and Hun Sen. :cover:

• 4 weeks later...

Interestingly enough, just came across this video of a Thai girl using JA-EH, before having a car crash. I think it's used here as a kind of exclamation, to get your attention, a bit like boo!:

She opens with:

จ๊ะเอ๋ ! จะไปพัทยาคะ รถใหม่ รถป้ายà¹à¸”งด้วย...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gmVqGyyzrI

Interestingly enough, just came across this video of a Thai girl using JA-EH, before having a car crash. I think it's used here as a kind of exclamation, to get your attention, a bit like boo!:

She opens with:

จ๊ะเอ๋ ! จะไปพัทยาคะ รถใหม่ รถป้ายà¹à¸”งด้วย...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gmVqGyyzrI

i like that clip..... :snowlaugh

reminds me of the dangers of getting a gaggle of ladies together and they just chat/laugh and have no idea of what is going on around them.....

i try and avoid the situation.

Archived