Sending Money Back To Thai Partners

spirit_of_town_hall

Whats the most you have ever heard of anyone in farang land, REGULARLY sending back to their Thai partner or girlfriend. I am aware of one case who regularly sends £1000 per calender month back to Thailand, another who sends £400 per month.

I am not talking about wealthy people here, but people with regular jobs. One case is particularly horrific.

STH

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"And most of them blow it as quickly as they can."

Yep, and it is impossible to make them understand that they should save some of it.

I guess they 'earn' the money too easy and therefore it loses its 'value'.

The girl I mentioned above would easily spend 5-6K Baht on an evening out, sometimes double that.

Sanuk!

To put this into perspective, remember that Pheu Thai has been babbling like a brook over a 300 baht a day minimum wage, plus a minimum of 15,000 a month for every new BA grad who manages to get a government job. So what makes these morons think that their favourite BG needs 50,000 to 100,000 a month not to "go work bar"? Hell, it's a damn good month when I make 50,000 and I've got 3 university degrees. My Mrs is a PhD and is lucky to make 35-40,000. :p

To put this into perspective, remember that Pheu Thai has been babbling like a brook over a 300 baht a day minimum wage, plus a minimum of 15,000 a month for every new BA grad who manages to get a government job. So what makes these morons think that their favourite BG needs 50,000 to 100,000 a month not to "go work bar"? Hell, it's a damn good month when I make 50,000 and I've got 3 university degrees. My Mrs is a PhD and is lucky to make 35-40,000. :p

That does put it in to perspective, I suppose the equivalent would be someone in the US or UK receiving a headmasters salary for not working in a pub. In some cases the senders themselves are living below the poverty line, or very near to it in their home countries.

STH

Stickman years ago told me about a guy who had been sending something like 60,000 baht a month to "his girl" for several years. When Stick found out - surprise - that she was working in her bar and going out with men anyway, the poor bugger was crushed. He was just some working class guy and was having a tough time getting by on what he had left. Would the BG care about his problems? Yeah, sure she would. :shakehead

Unfortunately, many Thais still think all foreigners are filthy rich. Taxi drivers sometimes ask me how much I make, and they almost always start by guessing several hundred thousand. I do know a few expats who make in the 200,000 baht range - but they work for big international countries that pay them western wages here.

Taxi drivers sometimes ask me how much I make, and they almost always start by guessing several hundred thousand

Bear in mind Flash, you are an extremely distinguished looking gent.

Most Thais, when talking income give me that "poor lad, nice but obviously doing it tough" look, and slip me a few hundred.

There's so much variation here that it gets hard to generalise. I agree 50k is a dumb amount to be giving anybody every month, unless you live with them and they use that money to jointly. Here's the thing though, I know plenty of Thai's working for Thai companies making 50-60k a month, these are bachelor's degree positions nothing fancy. A good Thai friend who worked for a US company as a department manager was getting 100k+ a month. Another friend who is a mid level EGAT manager makes 100k+ Okay, not shop floor workers and not what most TG's chancing it with foreigners are going to be getting but the money is there if you are qualified and competent.

Heard the one about the teacher who was taking a class of mature students and quizzing them about how much they needed a month to get by on. Most totted up food, accommodation, utilities a little saving and something for a treat. All in all they were coming in around 14-16k baht a month. All but the one girl, the obvious tart in the room, who stated a minimum requirement of 50k. When questioned what for her response was, 'for my shopping of course'!

Guess its a TG thing.

Archived