Sending Money Back To Thai Partners

spirit_of_town_hall

I marvel at the ability of Farang teachers to live in BKK AND make visa runs etc on 30k a year. Then I see posts about the pay scale the Thais consider appropriate for English teachers from PI : truly scary.

I've never been in a "visa run" and wonder how they did it year after year. Can't do it anymore though; the govmt stopped those unlimited tourist visas. I've also always known that someday I will inherit quite a bit. Without that, I'd have been back in the world long ago.

Dear old Thaksin loved to preach about the value of education and how Thailand needs foreign teachers and lcturers. But the SOB never once suggested increasing their pay from what was determined appropriate in 1992!

Thaksin also established his own private university and modestly named it after himself. He said he wanted only the top quality Thai lecturers with foreign earned PhDs and was willing to pay these "top lecturers" the magnificent sum of 40,00 a month! (If his university is so good, why didn't he send his own kids there?)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not trying to crash this thread as it is relevant but what is the best way to send money to Thailand?

I occasionally do a little business for friends and they send me $$ accordingly.

Say for the sake of argument it's B100K, because my bank has nanny state rules I can only draw out B20K a day by ATM which gives me 5/50km round trips to draw it all out not including the bizzo.

Suggestions I've had are...

Open a Thai bank account and do transfers.

Use something called the Forex Desk at Bangkok Bank.

I never really found a good way. I wired money from the States to my Mrs a couple of times in the 1990s, and the damned Bangkok Bank sat on it for weeks. So what was the point of wiring it?

I've mentioned before the colleague who has a Bangkok Bank account in Bangkok and another in London. He simply transfers money from one account to the other, gets whatever the rate is that day.

Archived