Tourist Visa - Any Recent Experience ?

gobbledonk

There is a lot of hoo-ha on Thaivisa over the 'changes', particularly the requirement for check-in/check-out dates and flight details, which Thai Consulates are supposedly going to enforce. Its fairly obvious that they are trying to crack down on the number of Farang living in Thailand on tourist visas, but I'd be keen to hear if anything has changed at the Penang Consulate. I went in early July last year, had my paperwork but didn't need any of it, didnt even have to go to the Consulate : gave a guy a couple of hundred Ringgit (and my passport) at the hotel and he gave me my freshly stamped passport the next night. He was the Concierge at the (1 star ..) hotel, but clearly this was a nice little earner for him/his mates, and presumably someone at the Consulate.

I dont have a particular issue with any published requirements, but it seems to come down to how each Consulate wants to interpret the rules. Happy to hear from anyone who has applied for a visa, esp tourist, in the last 3-4 months.

Ta,

Gobble

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most hotels can take care of your visa, even a nonimmigrant if you have all the paperwork. They have a thriving trade with the Georgetown consulate. A friend even got a visa issued and stamped on a day the consulate was officially closed! :)

p.s. No idea about a tourist visa. I've never had one for Thailand.

Usually these visa bruhaas are temporarily. They get enforced a couple of months and then it is back to normal. Will see what happens this time.

I suspect that you are right, just as I suspect that many of the most bitter complaints come from people who have rorted the system for years. Many still dont get that the 'visa-on-arrival' is actually a visa exemption : they need to fly to Cambo or Bali to experience a 'visa-on-arrival' : the Thai system *for one-off tourists* is much easier for most of us.

Flash, I dont know that I'd be entrusting a Non-Imm visa to my friend at the hotel - what if your documents werent what they were expecting ? I guess its all tick-in-a-box for anyone sufficiently corrupt to do the deed at the Consulate, but there were some unhappy faces when we got our passports back in Vientiane in 2008. By far the best experience I have had was at the Laos Embassy in BKK - they recognise that even 2 nights in VT puts money in the local economy.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to hear from anyone who has applied for a visa, esp tourist, in the last 3-4 months.

Ta,

Gobble

Tourist Visa in Cambodia - My experience yesterday.

Hi.

Yesterday I went to the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh to apply for a 60 day TV.

I was told, I must submit my air-flight information showing my exit from Thailand,

a document from my hotel in Thailand showing the dates I will be staying and

my Bank statement showing my current income. When I questioned her about

the Bank statement, she stated I am staying a long time and they want to verify I

can cover my expenses. I mentioned to her the past 2 years I did not need these documents

and was approved a Tourist Visa in Phnom Penh. She stated things now have changed.

I didn't have my bank statement or hotel conformation, but she stated, she will

submit my TV application. But could not guarantee it would be approved by her manager.

I opted out since the date I would get it processed (Sept 29th) conflicted

with my leave date from Cambodia.

Went back to my hotel and the hotel staff mentioned a travel agency in Phnom Penh who are connected with the Thai immigration in Phnom Penh and could get me a 60 day TV stamp for $50.00(which includes the application fee).

No extra documents required and I will get an express return and approved the next day.

So I'll try this since it's only $15.00 extra from what I would have paid if I did this myself.

Update - I did get an express Tourist Visa today from the agent associated with the hotel I am staying. My only concern is whether the visa stamp is not fake. Will find out in a few days.

TC.

Flash, I dont know that I'd be entrusting a Non-Imm visa to my friend at the hotel - what if your documents werent what they were expecting ? I guess its all tick-in-a-box for anyone sufficiently corrupt to do the deed at the Consulate, but there were some unhappy faces when we got our passports back in Vientiane in 2008. By far the best experience I have had was at the Laos Embassy in BKK - they recognise that even 2 nights in VT puts money in the local economy.

I made sure I had all the required documents. I got a 90-day nonimmigrant and as soon as I got back to LOS worked on converting it to a marriage visa. I was told at Penang that they could no longer issue multi-entry visa. Had to do that in Bangkok now. Once upon a time Penang was easy for a 12-month multi-entry nonimmigrant visa. Not any more.

I made sure I had all the required documents. I got a 90-day nonimmigrant and as soon as I got back to LOS worked on converting it to a marriage visa. I was told at Penang that they could no longer issue multi-entry visa. Had to do that in Bangkok now. Once upon a time Penang was easy for a 12-month multi-entry nonimmigrant visa. Not any more.

It seems that they are always messing around with the rules, and Stick makes mention of the 'clampdown' on TVs, with a suggestion for a better approach to stopping 'tourists' residing in the Kingdom on tourist visas:

Want a prediction for the next step in the crackdown on those residing in Thailand long term on various visas, usually back to back tourist visas? I am surprised that the authorities have not yet implemented a limit on how much time can be spent in the country on such visas over a 12-month period. The easy thing to do would be to set a policy where no-one can stay in the country for more than 6 months in a calendar year / 12-month period on tourist visas. Of course one could argue that those remaining in the country on such visas bring money into the country - which is true.

I thought the govmt limited tourists visas several years ago - not more than 3 one-month visas within a six month period.

The Malaysian government has a very sensible policy - 3 month visa free on arrival, plus unlimited (as I understand it) renewals without even having to leave the country. As a Malaysian explained it to me, "You come here, rent an apartment, eat here, go shopping here ... you spend your money here. We want you to stay." The Thai government for whatever paranoid reason seems to view foreigners with suspicion. Wonder why. :hmmm:

I renewed my non-Immigrant B this year and was talking to the Consul in Australia and said I may change to a marriage or retirement visa in the next few years.

He said "keep the Non-Im B as long as you can, it's miles ahead of anything else for someone like yourself".

:dunno:

I dont have a particular issue with any published requirements, but it seems to come down to how each Consulate wants to interpret the rules. Happy to hear from anyone who has applied for a visa, esp tourist, in the last 3-4 months.

Ta,

Gobble

Hi Gobble

I had to get a tourist visa in June, my non-imm O was expiring and since I am going through a divorce my soon to be ex was not going to assist me in applying for a subsequent 12 month extension to stay. I did it in Singapore due to free flights using air miles and the fact I have mates there who I stayed with for free.

What a performance, same as another poster mentioned they wanted confirmation of hotel reservations and onward flight details etc. I had with me my Ta Bien Ban (Thai Housebook) and certified copies land registry department documentation and old passport copies, why do I need a hotel when I have records of over 20 years living in Thailand and had owned an apartment in Bangkok for over 12 years.

They were still adamant about onward flight ticket even though I had no intentions of leaving Bangkok whilst divorce proceedings were ongoing so I nipped to a Travel Agent at Orchard Towers explained my plight and she agreed to sell me a single ticket to Siam Reap for day 60 and refund 80% of the cost once I had my visa and returned the ticket to cash back in.

Got the visa the next day. The 30 day extension at Chaeng Wattana Immigration office was a doddle, I had to apply earlier than the 60 days were up due to public holiday / weekend but the 30 days was calculated from the expiration date of my existing 60 day visa rather than application date so that wasn't to bad. Meanwhile I have now set up a Thai subsidiary of my European Company and am now back on a non-imm B with a work permit so that's the next 12 months taken care of. With accountants fees, ghost employees social welfare payments etc plus my own income tax on declared earnings it's costing about 6,000 THB / Month to be totally legal and being VAT registered, I may cut corners and fly close to the wind on certain issues but I stay 100% legitimate when it comes to Thai Immigration issues.

This experience did get me thinking though, how the hell is a non Thai under the age of 50, therefore not eligible for a retirement visa, supposed to stay in Thailand to contest his divorce once his non imm O 12 months extension of stay has expired. If I didn't have trustworthy friends I have known for many years who have assisted me in setting up Thai subsidiary company I would now be classed as Illegal and once divorce case got to court I would have been arrested for overstay, case thrown out, a few nights in IDC before deportation and the ex would get everything. The system is screwed. One thing I have learned is that if the Thai woman can keep the case out of court for 12 months she is granted immediate divorce and 100% ownership of all joint assets.

Kong

Archived