Apartment Room Fire - Travel Insurance

ozpharlap

I am staying at an apartment block in Pa-ram 9 area and yesterday (Sunday), at about the ungodly hour of about 8:00 AM, what sounded like a Chinese travel group started running up and down my floor. I thought, bloody stupid group tourists. Well, they keep this up for about 15 minutes, I was going to go out and tell them my considered thoughts but thought the better of it ... memories of that old 70's song Kung Fu Fighting came to mind.

Well, next thing, the fire alarm goes off, and I thought "dickheads". It sounded as if it was on another floor, so I just turned up the TV and watched my aussie rugby league on the internet. Next thing, the fire alarm is twice as loud. It was clearly my floor now. I thought, are they running up the stairs tripping all the alarms.

I did by this stage open the door, and had a look down the hall, there was no one or no drama.

Anyways, after 3 minute the alarm goes off, it has disturbed me enough to say, "heck, I am off to the bar for an early drink".

I walked down 5 floors, as the elevator was on the top floor, I walk out the front, and there is about 60 people waiting outside. I thought, "hmm, maybe something did happen". I inquired with one young Chinese girl who said there was a fire on the 6th floor.

It turned out that the fire was started by one of those water boilers, which had run dry, caught fire and half burnt the room. All walls and ceiling where charcoal black, half a wall was cindered, and the air-conditioner unit above where the fire was had half melted.

The damage would have been 10-20,000 dollars.

I asked the manager who would be responsible, and he said the tenant unless we can attach blame to the product.

I thought then, it is good that I do get travel insurance, as you never ever know what innocuous or little thing that happens could cause serious property damage, let alone personal medical costs :beer:

I am staying at an apartment block in Pa-ram 9 area and yesterday (Sunday), at about the ungodly hour of about 8:00 AM, what sounded like a Chinese travel group started running up and down my floor. I thought, bloody stupid group tourists. Well, they keep this up for about 15 minutes, I was going to go out and tell them my considered thoughts but thought the better of it ... memories of that old 70's song Kung Fu Fighting came to mind.

Well, next thing, the fire alarm goes off, and I thought "dickheads". It sounded as if it was on another floor, so I just turned up the TV and watched my aussie rugby league on the internet. Next thing, the fire alarm is twice as loud. It was clearly my floor now. I thought, are they running up the stairs tripping all the alarms.

I did by this stage open the door, and had a look down the hall, there was no one or no drama.

Anyways, after 3 minute the alarm goes off, it has disturbed me enough to say, "heck, I am off to the bar for an early drink".

I walked down 5 floors, as the elevator was on the top floor, I walk out the front, and there is about 60 people waiting outside. I thought, "hmm, maybe something did happen". I inquired with one young Chinese girl who said there was a fire on the 6th floor.

It turned out that the fire was started by one of those water boilers, which had run dry, caught fire and half burnt the room. All walls and ceiling where charcoal black, half a wall was cindered, and the air-conditioner unit above where the fire was had half melted.

The damage would have been 10-20,000 dollars.

I asked the manager who would be responsible, and he said the tenant unless we can attach blame to the product.

I thought then, it is good that I do get travel insurance, as you never ever know what innocuous or little thing that happens could cause serious property damage, let alone personal medical costs :beer:

Don't leave home without it ......

Well, next thing, the fire alarm goes off, and I thought "dickheads". It sounded as if it was on another floor, so I just turned up the TV and watched my aussie rugby league on the internet.

(Puts on safety hat...) It's an alarm. We're trained/ conditioned to evacuate. Why? Because perhaps the situation is getting out of control.

Next thing, the fire alarm is twice as loud. It was clearly my floor now. I thought, are they running up the stairs tripping all the alarms.

A fire on your floor, you're five floors up, and you're still in your room??!!

You never take an elevator when there is a fire. I was in Singapore in 1972 when eight people died in a department store fire. They were trapped in the elevator.

All walls and ceiling where charcoal black, half a wall was cindered, and the air-conditioner unit above where the fire was had half melted.

Could have been the rest of the building too.

Should be the last of your worries if you did not survive the fire. As an aside, my brother escaped Santika by the skin of his teeth that night.

P.P.S. A lot of apartment blocks have very poor safety equipment, I'm surprised that the fire alarm actually worked.

Sigh. Without trying to sound facetious, some places even chain their fire escape doors shut...

I have been drunk the last day, so I am a bit late to reply.

Yes, your sentiments are logical and correct, but at home, I am subject to 3 false fire alarms a week, and you just get blaze about it (but at least in Oz the fire alarms do work).

I guess it is just because you are in LOS, you just fall into a sense of surrealism.

Two days after the fire and the 5th floor still smells of smoke, I wonder, if you are in a savy western country, and you have claims of economic lost that a 1 room fire bill turns into 2/3 floors of lost income damage, making it up to $500,000 damage ... it makes you think :beer:

Archived