Best 3G And Wifi Servie

Gadfly

I tried using True's 3G WiFi with my 3G enabled (MBK assisted) service and was sorely disappointed. The 3G was patchy at best even the central district (between Sathorn and Silom) and the WiFi didn't work half the time. AIS WiFi with the Triple B (the WiFi service you can use at Au Bon Pain, etc.) is much better, but they don't seem to have as much coverage.

What do others recommend fro someone with a 3G enabled iPad and computer (Mac) with WiFi capabilities? I noticed Starbucks has a service, but it doesn't have much coverage. Is there any site that does a comparison of the various providers and their coverage? Many thanks in advance.

I see nobody has responded to your question and indeed even my post will be more question than answer I suspect however; my GF has a True 3G + Wi-Fi sim, I bought it for her together with an aircard for her laptop since this was the only viable option at the time to get her online such that we could chat on Skype. It has worked very well for about 6 months and indeed still does. It doesn't get moved about so only coverage where she lives is relevant but the connection is good and the speed good enough for reasonable video calls.

I just bought her a new phone, a nice shiny HTC incredible S, ideal since I also use an HTC device so can easily answer queries and make any changes she's not sure about. The problem with this is that we wanted to fit the True SIM card and it works fine but no 3G. This is because the HTC does not have 850MHz operation and the True 3G service is at 850MHz. The new properly sanctioned services such as AIS 3G are running at 900MHz and/or 2100MHz I think. As of now we are considering a change from True to AIS but only because of this, no other complaints with the True service.

I'm interested to know what the AIS 3G service coverage is, can't seem to find anything sensible on their website but haven't tried calling them yet.

I see nobody has responded to your question and indeed even my post will be more question than answer I suspect however; my GF has a True 3G + Wi-Fi sim, I bought it for her together with an aircard for her laptop since this was the only viable option at the time to get her online such that we could chat on Skype. It has worked very well for about 6 months and indeed still does. It doesn't get moved about so only coverage where she lives is relevant but the connection is good and the speed good enough for reasonable video calls.

I just bought her a new phone, a nice shiny HTC incredible S, ideal since I also use an HTC device so can easily answer queries and make any changes she's not sure about. The problem with this is that we wanted to fit the True SIM card and it works fine but no 3G. This is because the HTC does not have 850MHz operation and the True 3G service is at 850MHz. The new properly sanctioned services such as AIS 3G are running at 900MHz and/or 2100MHz I think. As of now we are considering a change from True to AIS but only because of this, no other complaints with the True service.

I'm interested to know what the AIS 3G service coverage is, can't seem to find anything sensible on their website but haven't tried calling them yet.

Thanks. I also want to know what coverage AIS 3G will provide. DTAC is also officially rolling out 3G service. My experience with True has not been good so if I can switch to AIS or DTAC I will do so.

On other issue. With an iPad you need a micro-sim card for 3G. I know they "make" these at MBK, but it would be nice (and I would pay a bit more) for get officially sanctioned 3G service for my iPad. Again, this is based on past bad experience with the MBK gray market.

Also, you don't have to pay for Wifi, it's free almost everywhere and Stick lists a lot too http://www.stickmanweekly.com/WiFi/BangkokFreeWirelessInternetWiFi.htm

Everywhere, except where I go. Its true there are is plenty of free WiFi, but I would still be willing to pay a small amount if I can get coverage where it isn't free. For example, AIS has a deal with Triple B where you can use its WiFi by paying an extra 100 Baht a month. This works well for me because Triple B has WiFi spots at a few places where I tend to spend a fair amount of time, although I would like the coverage to be even more extensive.

What do others think of the KSC Hotspot service? I see signs saying that is available at Starbucks. I have always thought Starbucks WiFi was way too expensive, but good. If I only have to pay 500 Baht for monthly unlimited WiFi at Starbucks and other locales here in Thailand, it might be worth it, since, as far as I can tell, there is no free WiFi at Starbucks in Thailand (unlike the US). WiFi and Starbucks (or any other place offering caffeinated beverages) go well together since I am more likely to more productively use the internet after a cup of coffee (than, say, a few glasses of wine). Also, I see plenty of other people using computers at Starbucks, and I cannot imagine they are paying by the hour at the rates Starbucks charges here for hourly service.

Thanks in advance for any feedback anyone can provide.

On other issue. With an iPad you need a micro-sim card for 3G. I know they "make" these at MBK, but it would be nice (and I would pay a bit more) for get officially sanctioned 3G service for my iPad. Again, this is based on past bad experience with the MBK gray market.

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/how-to-make-your-own-ipad-or-iphone-4-micro-sim-681020

Archived