Worst Hotel In Central Bkk ?

gobbledonk

I've never stayed at the Grace (thank God...), but there is an equally rundown shocker at the top of Soi 3 that I spent 2 nights in back in 2008 - it drove me back to the Nana pronto. Other than the reception area, this place was seriously showing its age - cracks in the walls, creaky plumbing and staff who looked at you as though they just stepped in a steamer you laid on your way into their magnificent hotel. I still dont know what possessed me to stay there - any 'savings' were offset by the fact that I had to be dead drunk just to get any sleep. I suspect that it was a simple desire to see if I was missing anything in the 'Arab quarter' - I wasnt, but dodging them on the sidewalks was an experience I gladly forfeited upon my return to the Nana.

I suspect there are worse joints on Khao San Road and elsewhere - fire away.

Why not add the Alanta (78 Sukhumvit Soi 2, Bangkok)?

This institution opened in 1952, and not a skerrick appears to have changed since then. It's still a bit of a shame as the foyer promises mystery and charm but the rooms themselves are dreary. As it is, the Atlanta is often full, with people seduced by the foyer, quirky pool and eclectic notices around the place posted by founder Dr Max Henn. The rooms are rundown and every mattress in the place should be burned, but still, the crowds come.

The Atlanta is located at the very end of the soi. When you reach the church it's the abandoned-looking building on your right. It's the quietest soi in the neighbourhood, but borders the freeway, so front facing rooms are a bit quieter. Their strict anti-sex tourist policy extends to those who look like sex-workers, so travellers with Thai boy/girlfriends take note. :beer:

My worst hotel stay was the Sukhumvit Crown on Soi 6 with the walkway opening to Soi 8.

Tubifex worms coming out of the taps.

Cracked mirrors on the ceilings.

Dirty Dirty Dirty.

But things may have changed in 20 years since then...

Did it have a name? :dunno:

Yes it did, but years of therapy have erased it from my memory. It was right next to the train line, where the cabs get airborne on the rare occasions when Soi 3 isnt bumper-to-bumper gridlock.

This place looks familiar, but I dont think this is it:

http://www.cityphotoguide.com/node/241

One of the real joys was that it was my introduction to the lives of BKK slum dwellers - a vacant lot across the road housed a series of makeshift shanties, complete with a pack of Soi dogs which enjoyed fighting with one another at 3am. As I said, dead drunk was the ticket for a nights sleep at this particular hellhole.

My worst hotel stay was the Sukhumvit Crown on Soi 6 with the walkway opening to Soi 8.

Tubifex worms coming out of the taps.

Cracked mirrors on the ceilings.

Dirty Dirty Dirty.

But things may have changed in 20 years since then...

Ah, no.

It is still the same, not that I have stayed in it since my first few trips back in the early nineties ...

I went in there last August, pretending to look at the rooms, but even the usual house staff could not be bothered trying to convince you it is anything else then what it is :beer:

Stayed above a bar once when I misjudged flight or bus times and found myself somewhere at about 4am after a 18 odd hour bus ride after a flight.... can't remember why but a bar was open and they remembered me from a few weeks back (only stopped there because I remembered they would be open 24hrs) - they let me sleep in a dreadful room with a thin mattress on the floor. No air cond, no fan, one window... an experience anyway - the girls were good though, could see I was knackered and showed concern when I only bought 4 beers

Stayed above a bar once when I misjudged flight or bus times and found myself somewhere at about 4am after a 18 odd hour bus ride after a flight.... can't remember why but a bar was open and they remembered me from a few weeks back (only stopped there because I remembered they would be open 24hrs) - they let me sleep in a dreadful room with a thin mattress on the floor. No air cond, no fan, one window... an experience anyway - the girls were good though, could see I was knackered and showed concern when I only bought 4 beers

I made the mistake of spending a night above a bar (one of those English-style 'pubs' with a jolly looking pig on the sign) on Soi 6 a couple of years back, ostensibly to be 'right near the action'. Really bad idea - said action in Pattaya seemed to go till dawn, and I found myself needing to collapse well before then. On a later visit, Soi 6/7 seemed to be dark and dead from 2am on, so I must have been especially 'lucky' that night ...

Archived