Full Moon Party Gets More Oz Headlines

gobbledonk

As usual, they arent headlines which paint Thailand in a good light:

http://www.news.com.au/national/afl-stars-campbell-brown-maverick-weller-held-in-thailand-for-assault/story-e6frfkvr-1226137391602

FOUR Gold Coast Suns players, including deputy vice-captain Campbell Brown, were detained and handcuffed in Thailand after allegedly being involved in a fight during an end-of-season trip.

Brown, along with first-year players Maverick Weller, Joel Wilkinson and Jacob Gillbee were taken into custody by Thai police after the altercation.

The club confirmed an incident last night, saying it would grill the players when they arrived back in Australia at the weekend.

They were detained early yesterday morning on the Thai island of Koh Phangan, which is famous for its Full Moon Party.

They were among thousands of tourists who had descended on the island for the booze fest, described as a "schoolies on steroids".

But the party, where three Australians have been killed in the past six years, ended with the players spending time in custody after they were allegedly involved in a scuffle.

The Gold Coast Bulletin reports first-year player Weller, 19, was the victim of an unprovoked attack by a man who it is believed may have recognised the AFL players.

The man is believed to have launched a verbal and physical attack on Weller before Brown, Wilkinson and Gillbee jumped into the fray to help their young team-mate.

Police later intervened.

Other reports suggest the altercation may have involved a plain-clothes Thai police officer.

The players were detained and handcuffed but later released without charge.

-------------------------------------------------------

Its a storm in a teacup - 'no charges laid' suggests (to me, anyway) that a few baht may have changed hands, and it probably would have been more if the Thais realised these guys were 'big stars', at least to those who follow AFL. If their version of events is true, its typical dickhead behaviour on the part of their attacker : especially stupid in someone else's country.

Having undercover Police at the FM parties also suggests that the image of a 'party where anything goes' is less than accurate, even if this guy was only there to see shakedown the odd drug user. There is a lot of talk here and elsewhere about the seedy reputation the Farang-oriented sex industry has given Thailand, yet 'no rules' parties for 20-somethings are allowed to continue on Koh Phangan. TiT.

I used to deride the Full Moon Party as senseless fun for the uncouth and brainless.

Now I thank god for these events. Mainly, as is gives the uncouth and brainless somewhere to go, like Rugby League, a pastime for the feckless.

cover.gif

Cheers

Coss

I always marvel at how the backpackers can get their hair plaited, balloon pants purchased, little colorful corded bags, nose rings and dirty, unwashed, unkempt appearance down so pat, on the council estate in Britain (or elsewhere) before they even get to Asia.

Cheers

Coss

I always marvel at how the backpackers can get their hair plaited, balloon pants purchased, little colorful corded bags, nose rings and dirty, unwashed, unkempt appearance down so pat, on the council estate in Britain (or elsewhere) before they even get to Asia.

Cheers

Coss

You need to visit the annual Summernats in Canberra if you want to see seriously feral people in action. Until 'Copperhead Road' came along, I swear their anthem was the theme from Deliverance .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em-8uiKTqyw

Canberra has a surprisingly large number of whores, professional and amateur, and this event seems to attract pretty much every one of em. I have nothing against people building nice cars - its the dickhead element that spoils events like this.

Seriously, you would think some of these people have never seen a pair of titties. I repeatedly asked myself where the hell these people came by the entrance fee, much less the vast quantities of grog that are consumed over the course of the event.

I used to deride the Full Moon Party as senseless fun for the uncouth and brainless.

Now I thank god for these events. Mainly, as is gives the uncouth and brainless somewhere to go, like Rugby League, a pastime for the feckless.

cover.gif

Cheers

Coss

They were Australian Rules players, not Rugby League players, get it right Coss, for feck sake :beer:

Archived