China Driver Fatally Runs Over Meter Maid

Flashermac

SHANGHAI (AP) — A man determined to escape paying a parking fee in downtown Shanghai ran over and killed a meter maid in the latest in a spate of road rage incidents in China.

The uniformed parking attendant was standing in front of the man's car trying to prevent him from leaving when she was run over, the Xinmin News and other local reports said Thursday. Parking in the area costs 15 yuan (about $2.35) an hour.

The reports said the man drove into the woman and that she was dragged under the Audi sedan until he stopped a short while later, and that passersby pulled her from beneath the car. She died after she was taken to a nearby hospital.

Police, who reportedly took the man into custody, did not respond to phone calls after office hours Thursday.

A search for the vehicle involved in the incident in a police traffic website revealed 22 records, including for speeding and parking and other alleged violations.

Reports of road rage and drunk driving incidents in China have been on the rise, reflecting the boom in auto sales. Many drivers hit the streets with little more than cursory training and show scant regard for traffic lights and other basic rules.

Last week in Beijing, a prominent singer associated with the military apologized publicly after his son attacked a couple in their car when they blocked his way while he was driving a BMW reportedly given to him by his father, although he was too young to have a license.

Sounds like LOS.

The new generation of Chinese are better then the previous generation, IMO, from what I have seen up close.

The previous generation...we were driving and the Chinese man driving was going up a ramp to get on the expressway when his cell phone rang...he stopped the car in the middle of the ramp blocking all traffic while he chatted on the phone for several minutes :dunno:

Red lights...just a suggestion!

Hi,

So, the wanker can afford an Audi, but is too stingy to pay a couple bucks in parking fees? And KILLS someone over it???

"Many drivers hit the streets with little more than cursory training and show scant regard for traffic lights and other basic rules."

Exactly the same here. Our secretary got her license after 6 lessons (driving on an enclosed parking lot), then didn't even bother to take the other 4 lessons she had paid for. Never seen her drive, but can imagine :(

People here seem to be unable to understand that knowing how to operate the vehicle is just a - very small - part of being able to drive.

Sanuk!

My Mrs is a very good driver now, but I'll never forget how she was issued a licence before she even knew how to drive ... because she was an archan!

Back in my PC days I observed how the system for Thai archans (and all civil servants) worked: 1) get a licence, 2) buy a car and 3) learn to drive. :p

Hi,

I think that is still how it works for many people. My wife too wanted to buy a car first and didn't think she needed lessons. Told her flatout that that was NOT an option.

After her first lesson she came back all full of herself that it was easy and she had no problems driving etc. After her second lesson though she was a lot more subdued, so I asked her how it went. She replied rather timidly "Uh... we went into traffic today".

First lesson was just her driving on an empty parking lot. No shit it was easy!

Sanuk!

Archived