If Anne Pettifor Is Right, We're Screwed.....

gobbledonk

None of this is being helped by our fucking media. Despite good fundamentals, including proximity to a strong set of Asian economies, the bastards started the day with a headline that reads 'Global Markets Collapse'. I used to feel sorry for journos when they were set upon by Lebanese outside a courthouse - in future, I'll be cheering the Lebanese on. Bastards.

It's no wonder that a lot of people in many of the Western European countries with strong currencies / economies did NOT want to move to the Euro. Seem to recall referendums in Germany, Denmark and France all voting against the Euro. Of course the politicians went ahead with it anyway.

You are wrong and confusing the Lisbon Treaty with the Euro, 2 totally different things.

BB

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In 2003 she correctly predicted the bursting of the credit bubble

Considering the credit bubble didn't burst for another 4 years, it's misleading to call this a correct prediction. There's an axiom in the business that says "If you're too early, you're still wrong." Many people got wiped out shorting the dot com bubble too early. Although they were eventually proven right, many were no longer around to reap the rewards of their foresight.

In 2003 she correctly predicted the bursting of the credit bubble

Considering the credit bubble didn't burst for another 4 years, it's misleading to call this a correct prediction. There's an axiom in the business that says "If you're too early, you're still wrong." Many people got wiped out shorting the dot com bubble too early. Although they were eventually proven right, many were no longer around to reap the rewards of their foresight.

One of us has clearly misread that - in any case, if the doomsayers are right about the Euro disintegrating, we can all kiss our arses goodbye. Thats one prediction I'm happy to see proved totally wrong.

• 1 month later...

Free Market doesn't work. Because at the end of the day, one person ends up controlling everything. How many governments are dictated, hmm... I mean have suggestions given to them by companies that have a higher turnover than the countries GDP?

Some form of regulatory control needs to be there. Given that what made us what we are is Society, we should regulate companies to ensure that Societies interests are met, as well as them making shit loads of cash.

Too many company directors hide behind the "I must maximize shareholder wealth" mantra. If governments did one simple thing, modify corporations law such that the environment and local social structures each had an equal weighting to shareholder wealth, companies would still make shit tons of cash, but the type of global financial collapse would never be able to happen again.

The next time a company goes to offshore, mine in a national park, or destroy a small local competitor, they would have to demonstrate to the regulator that they were meeting their three directives.

Growth would not stop, it would slow down, but given we have finite resources, isn't this a good thing?

Or it could be just too much beer tonight....

I suspect that there would be Conservative politicians right across the 'free world' who would happily have you shot for that post, freefall, but I agree with the spirit of what you say. The problem is implementation - I suspect that Singapore is one of the few countries where the government has a finger in almost every pie without totally screwing up entrepreneurship. I don't know anyone who wants the economy Russia had in the 80s, with the exception of some old relics from the Communist era.

Archived