Random Sports Stories

Steve

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Former-Ravens-DB-Chris-McAlister-is-already-brok?urn=nfl-wp7151

Former Ravens DB Chris McAlister claims he is already broke

Three-time Pro Bowl cornerback Chris McAlister(notes) has only been out of the game for a year, and already, he's telling the court system that he's broke.

McAlister is locked up in a child support battle with his ex-wife Marlene, and is trying to get his child support payments lowered. He currently owes her $11,000 per month. In documents filed to the court, claims he can't pay her because he doesn't have any money. From TMZ:

In the docs, Chris -- a 1st round NFL draft pick in 1999 who played in the league for 10 years -- states, "I have been unemployed since 2009. I have no income."

He adds, "I live in my parent's home. My parents provide me with my basic living expenses as I do not have the funds to do so."

This is a guy who's only been out of the game for one year. Who's giving him financial advice, Ric Flair? McAlister's not even officially retired. He spent 10 years with the Ravens, and was once considered one of the best corners in the game. He was with the Saints, in 2009, but didn't see a lot of playing time before being released.

In 2004, he signed a seven-year, $55 million contract. Now, some of that was money that he never saw, and he was released after five years of the contract, so it wouldn't be accurate to say he completely squandered $55 million.

But he did squander plenty. The signing bonus was reportedly $10 million, and it also included a $7.5 million roster bonus for 2005. The year before he signed the contract, he made almost $6 million. The last two years of the $55 million contract, which McAlister didn't see, were worth $8 million each.

As the Baltimore Sun points out, it wouldn't be surprising if McAlister was "broke as a joke" given his hardcore partying habits.

If the name Marlene McAlister sounds familiar, it's because her and Chris' marital issues found their way to TMZ once before. In April of last year, Marlene claimed that Chris kicked her out of his home when she refused to have an abortion.

Roger Goodell can probably go ahead and cross McAlister's name off of his list of guys to invite to speak at the rookie symposium.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Sporting-KC-player-professes-his-love-for-Hope-S?urn=sow-wp4949

If you're easily embarrassed by people reciting love poems to strangers, you might want to look away now. If not, prepare to enjoy.

The U.S. Women's national team will play a friendly against Canada on Saturday and they've been preparing at MLS side Sporting Kansas City's training complex. So, Sporting KC striker C.J. Sapong decided to seize this opportunity to tell Hope Solo how he feels about her. In front of a few cameras and a several members of both their teams.

After introducing himself and telling her about his body fat percentage, C.J. makes her blush by revealing that he has a "poem/rap" for her. It starts a little slow, involves C.J. touching himself and when he gets to the part about wearing each other's clothes on the beach, she starts laughing and he says he "messed it all up." With a little reassurance from Hope and the growing crowd, C.J. started over with a little more confidence and found his rhythm and a friend beatboxed for the rap part of his performance highlighted by the line "angels really do exist and girl you are the proof."

His closer: "Hope Solo, Hope Solo, can you make my dream come true? There are no beaches in KC, but a hug from you will do." And it worked. Not only did he get the hug, but a surprise kiss on the neck that caused him to collapse on the ground.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Arkansas-power-leads-team-29-0-before-it-can-tou?urn=highschool-wp5870

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/walter-payton-expose-leaves-bittersweet-taste-092911?GT1=39002

New book about Walter Payton and it brings out his demons. Addiction to painkillers and supposedly infidelity. The author the article, like me, is not sure he'd like to read a book that shows the not so great side to our heroes.

Walter Payton was a hero to football fans in general. Even if you hated 'Da Bears' as Green Bay fans did, they respected him. I hate the NY Yankees but respect Mickey Mantle and he was no saint. He was an alcoholic, but he was baseball. I never wanted to read about his alcoholism or his repuation for being aloof which was really just a shy kid from Oklahoma who couldn't understand the fuss about a guy who plays baseball.

I like this one, it applies to all codes.

Basically a couple of years ago Collingwood appointed a former star as number two to their aging coach on the agreement that the old guy would retire in 2012 and get a nice job upstairs in the club. (Current school of thought is that coaching is a young man's game).

Then last year he won the flag and this year, on Saturday, they have to be favourites for their second.

What's best for Bucks? A Geelong flag, surely

DEEP in the last quarter of the AFL grand final, the Cats are a point up, and the Collingwood coach's box is frozen with morbid tension. Lips are thinned, fingertips splayed on cheeks, expletives abandoned as invalid, replaced by silence. Like the cabin of a storm-tossed yacht, the box trembles and heaves with the roar of the beast outside. And these men in here, these shapers of time and space, these men of valour and strategy, these brothers-in-arms, are suddenly helpless in the suck-ebb of hope and dream as James Kelly kicks long to the Geelong goal square.

A pack rises and the ball spews to Stevie J, meow's last dancer, gimp-Nureyev from Wang, who tags it with his left toe. Goal. And from just behind Malthouse's right ear someone whispers, ''Yesss …'' What sudden leak of treachery is this? The siren sounds as Mick turns to look into the eyes of the Judas.

Good God. Bucks. Nathan Buckley. Our Bucks. His face is camouflaged with the same heartbreak that covers all the nearby faces now. But for the rest of his days Mick Malthouse will wonder if he heard what he thought he heard … Bucks, barracking for the Cats. Team sport attempts a suppression of a hideous truth. For all the "team" rhetoric, for all the talk of brotherhood, and the linking of arms and citing of mates in the trenches, ambition, like every story, begins and ends in a mirror you can hold in your hand. Teams that can suppress the mighty pull of "self" for a brief season will suddenly be invincible. But it won't last long.

The lone moondog of ego howls in the back of many heads as the coach gives his address. That howl was orchestrated by evolution and is the soundtrack of our survival.

"Run for the hills," it says. "Eat your fill. Drink deep. Forget your brothers. One of them's got your spot at full forward. Another winked at your lady at the B&F. Promote your own interests. Save yourself. The future needs your DNA."

So ever since Nathan Buckley was appointed, Dalai Lama-like, untried and untested, but recognised by the High Lamas at Collingwood as the reincarnation of Jock McHale,(A club legend) that little piece of hard-line self that saved his ancestors from bears and his grandfathers from Germans must have been hoping Mick Malthouse would fail. Because if Mick retires with consecutive titles, where does that leave Bucks? From the platform of Perfection all trains head elsewhere.

Even if, against all odds, he was to ride a loop and get the club back to Perfection and a third premiership, people will say he's just driving a train Mick built. The kudos will go to the superannuated genius. So how can Bucks show his brilliance when the team he is inheriting has already become folkloric; splattered with Magpie tattoos inked in the aftermath of ultimate success? Where to for Nathan but down if Mick gets up? Nathan Buckley is a lean and hungry man, make no mistake. He chased success as a player from club to club until he set down roots in a place that seemed teetering on the brink of bliss. He got it wrong then. But if ultimate victory as a player escaped him, it wasn't because he didn't do everything possible to get it.

Everyone I've spoken to who knows Nathan Buckley has told me my musings on his predicament are wrong. That for another man they might be right, but that this man is different. He's matured, and his personal ambition has been subsumed by a greater love.

Maybe so. But I'm writing here about Everyman; and guessing Bucks isn't the only guy since Jesus, Gandhi and Mandela not to be one.

So I suspect while lying awake in the night, in moments of deep solitude, while Tania sighs in her sleep alongside him and airbrakes sigh across the suburbs, Bucks worries about Mick's success and what it means for him. Because a loss this weekend is a motivational bonanza to Bucks in his first year as coach. The one that got away. A fire burning in this gifted team's belly. Whereas a win could marinate his men in a complacency that will make gravity a little stronger for them and distance a little deeper and their opponents a little harder and the bay just that bit colder.

Black thoughts these, I know. Bucks wouldn't wish ill on the Pies. That would be wrong. But a canny photographer might do worse than train the lens on him at the final siren of a close game this weekend.

If the Cats win, that photographer might catch a nano-second of guilty relief as it crosses Nathan Buckley's face. If the Pies get up, he might snap a passing cloud of despair. And if this seems just a sly way of calling a man a self-interested cad, it is. And that man is you and me.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/whats-best-for-bucks-a-geelong-flag-surely-20110929-1kzdc.html#ixzz1ZOyTNjxx

Guest lazyphil

random sports storys?....1987 i was picked to bowl for the school cricket team, i was quite good-however the first game clashed with the glorious 16th (june, coarse fishing season opening date) so had to decline the honor, made the sports teacher and other team members mad lo.....hey i'm an anti social loner!

Al Savis Dies. Far be it for me to speak ill of the dead but some other owners would have borrowed his phrase and say 'Die baby die'. I was a fan of the team but not the man.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_al_davis_respect_100811

In August, one NFL owner was asked to discuss Al Davis’ place in NFL history. The owner, who asked to remain anonymous, looked at the ground uncomfortably before answering.

“Obviously, Al is important, nobody would ever say that’s not the case, but … ,†the owner answered and paused for almost 10 seconds before finishing. “Sometimes you just wondered if he really had to do it the way he did.â€

Davis, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and one of the icons of the modern game, died Saturday morning at 82. He was considered a driving force in turning the NFL into the nation’s most popular game, as well as turning the Raiders into a three-time Super Bowl champion. He did that with an uncompromising and bold sense of competition that often pushed the boundaries of what some people thought was acceptable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jordan may be the greatest player ever but he's not likeable according to a few folks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Stephon-Marbury-lays-into-Michael-Jordan-once-ag?urn=nba-wp10394

Stephon Marbury lays into Michael Jordan once again, calling him a ‘sellout’

Jordan, who is said to be leading the charge to not only roll back the NBA's offer of a 50/50 split of basketball-related income with the players in their current negotiations but to possibly vote against any reconciliation with the players should the Players Association take the NBA's current offer, is under harsh criticism for what some see as a hypocritical turn as team owner. Especially considering Jordan's notorious rants against ownership from the other side of the table during the 1998 lockout.

Archived