Random Sports Stories

Steve

The playing field is still far from level though, I suppose the idea is to educate this generation with as many breaks and freebies as possible and we'll worry about total integration when we're dealing with the children of educated people in the next generation.

I hear the same criticism in Australia over special treatment of Aboriginal students but if it can break them out of the cycle of drugs and crime then society has to benefit in the long run.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I understand, whites weren't being excluded from what are called HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities). The problem from what was alleged at many predominantly white universities was that certain minorities were excluded, both in students and faculty, as a practice. The HBCUs didn't show any such exclusion. Whites simply didn't want to go there, and the few that did were accepted. So, all things being equal, yes, they should have been made to but at the time from my understanding there was a difference. They were addressing schools that had proven discrimination.

Too many men just keep playing the woman

The sexist put-down says it all about the men who still use it.

ONE of the ugliest and most persistent perpetuators of gender inequality is the resort to sexist innuendo to put a woman ''in her place''. This happens all the time in private, but every now and then an example of these highly personal sexual put-downs surfaces publicly. The latest target is Age journalist Suzanne Carbone, and not for the first time the perpetrators are high-profile football identities.

The trigger was Carbone's article about former footballer and AFL player manager Ricky Nixon charging $1500 for people to join him in a corporate box at the football. Derryn Hinch then took to Twitter about this and Nixon phoned to complain. That's fair enough - good journalism respects the right of reply - and Hinch asked him to identify any inaccuracies in the story, the information for which came from Nixon's website. The broadcaster told Carbone: ''I asked him to point them out and I would correct them on air, and he couldn't/wouldn't.''

Nixon's response to Carbone was tellingly different. He took to Facebook and Twitter to abuse her. Male friends responded, including TV personality and former AFL star Dermott Brereton. One suggested Nixon may have ''knocked her back at some stage, now she wants to get even. Poor girl just needs a good shag!'' Nixon: ''I vote Dermott do that on our behalf ha ha.'' Brereton: ''I don't do charity like that…!'' Nixon: ''Haha … now that was the funniest thing I have heard all day.''

All this took place on a Facebook page open to all. In the past, Brereton responded similarly to another Age journalist who put him on a ''worst dressed'' list. ''This girl,'' he said on radio. ''I think I actually slept with her, but didn't call her back so that's…'' Predictable blokey laughter ensued, but sexist put-downs and smears are no laughing matter.

Football personality Sam Newman earned notoriety for his televised groping of a lingerie-clad mannequin that had a picture of The Age's chief footballer writer, Caroline Wilson, stapled to it. When five female AFL club directors wrote a letter of complaint to Channel Nine, Newman said female board members ''served little purpose'' and described them as ''liars and hypocrites''. That cost Channel Nine almost $750,000 in a defamation action brought by Western Bulldogs director Susan Alberti. She hoped this would embolden other women to take on prejudice in the AFL. ''I am not intimidated by [Newman] one bit,'' she said.

Unfortunately, sexist smear and innuendo is intimidating and is meant to be. Many women are not in a position to stop it, let alone seek legal redress. The steady drip of sexism can be demoralising, although many women succeed in spite of it. The perpetrators often claim to ''love women'', but their gibes betray an attitude that does not accept women as equals who have a right to be judged solely on their abilities and achievements without gratuitous sexual commentary.

Some public figures, such as Kyle Sandilands, do suffer a backlash against their vitriolic talk of ''slags'' and ''sluts''. Yet the oppressive impact of such attitudes cannot be underestimated. In her celebrated work, Damned Whores and God's Police, Anne Summers examined the reasons for the apparent absence of women from Australian history. Four decades on, sexist attitudes continue to deny women an equal professional and social standing. Even the terms in which Julia Gillard is discussed all too often reek of sexism that goes beyond disapproval of her work as prime minister.

The Age will not let public incidents of sexist smears and innuendo pass without condemnation. The AFL, in which Nixon, Brereton and Newman all found fame and fortune, does promote respect for women in a program that recognises the need to tackle sexual discrimination and violence.

When people like Nixon, Brereton and co leave the door ajar on their locker-room chats, they remind us of the scale of the challenge.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/editorial/too-many-men-just-keep-playing-the-woman-20120222-1to3a.html#ixzz1nA6FvDM2

The one thing I don't like on some discussion forums I am on is that they will refer to a woman's gender in an argument. Its irrelevant. On one of my Arsenal forums there are two women who post regularly and are very, very knowledgeable. More than I (but most are...lol). Whenever guys disagree with either of them they often make some remark such as 'go bake some cookies' and the worst of it is their being calld c*nts.

They know my nationality (easy to figure out by the words I use) but not my race on that site because I don't want it used in a tirade when I disagree with someone.

This is a story about Terrell Owens financial problems:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/buy-one-terrell-owens-foreclosed-homes-dallas-223140748.html

Gotta admit I feel guilty saying this but I get somewhat of a morbid pleasure in his issues. He, Iverson, Randy Moss and a few others who had a reputation for talking sh*t and making life tough for their coaches are either in finanical trouble or can't get a game.

I hated seeing those guys act above the game and seeing their antics. I'll be lying if I wasn't a bit more upset than most in that they were black men and acting like brats and reinforcing some stereotypes. A bit hypocritical of me since I go on whoring jaunts in SE Asia..lol.

But just being honest. Play the friggin' game with some dignity and humbleness. I'm old school though.

• 2 weeks later...

Jurrah: a man caught between countries

WHEN I went to Yuendumu in 1987 - two years before Liam Jurrah was born - it shocked me. I was both in my country and in another country.

The occasion was a desert footy carnival, which 32 Aboriginal communities were scheduled to attend. In the event, only 26 appeared because the Pitjantjatjara were initiating their young men and where the dreaming paths crossed roads, it was the roads that closed since the Pitjantjatjara were accompanied by a traditional lawman, the much-feared kadaitcha man.

Western culture had well and truly arrived in Yuendumu - I saw a man with a row of ritual scars down his chest play the electric guitar like Jimi Hendrix - but the strongest impression I came away from Yuendumu with was the power of what Aboriginal people call "the Law".

The grand final that year was between Yuendumu and Papunya. The game was scarcely under way when a child ran into the crowd saying he had seen the kadaitcha man. Within minutes, the community was deserted. Everyone - including the teams - had fled.

In traditional Aboriginal society, events which cannot be explained by other means can be attributed to sorcery. This impacted on the Yuendumu football team in the 2000s when an older player, a stalwart of the side, retired and his guernsey was passed on to a newcomer. Great significance is attached to players' guernseys. When the newcomer to the Yuendumu team fell ill with cancer and died, the belief grew that the person responsible for the death was the player who had formerly worn his guernsey.

This dispute, fuelled by alcohol, was the backdrop for the knife fight in the Alice Springs town camp in late 2010 which resulted in the death of one young man and the wounding of two others. All involved, both the three assailants and the three assaulted, were Yuendumu footballers. They were also Liam Jurrah's teammates when the Yuendumu Magpies were premiers and the pride of Yuendumu. They had been teammates all their lives.

I met Sebastian Watson, the brother of the man who was killed, when he came to Melbourne in 2007 with Liam Jurrah and another Warlpiri man. Jurrah and Watson were members of the Jaru Pirrjirdi (Strong Voices) group, which sought to use their status as members of the high-flying Yuendumu Magpies to mentor young males in the community.

Jurrah was star of the team. At the time, Yuendumu counsellor Brett Badger said: "Football is now the format by which the warrior men of the tribe express themselves. When Liam tells young men to eat better food or not sniff petrol or treat their wives more kindly, it has more weight than if someone like Nathan Buckley said it.''

The Yuendumu Magpies didn't train and had no concept of individual awards. No footballer from a remote Aboriginal community had ever made it to the AFL - no one had even considered the possibility. English was Jurrah's third language.

When Jurrah was selected for his first game by Melbourne in 2009, Badger said that for the people of Yuendumu "this was more important than stepping on the moon because someone had already stepped on the moon".

Jurrah's AFL career had the full support of his Warlpiri elders - he was in Melbourne "on Warlpiri business".

His career highlight was winning the AFL Mark of the Year in 2010, catching the ball as he toppled to earth from an impossible height. But there is an element of fate to the story of Liam Jurrah as there is to all great sporting dramas. The night he returned to Yuendumu with his award was the night the Watsons - the family of the young man killed in Alice Springs - also returned, aggrieved at not being permitted by the white authorities to punish the offenders with the ritual spearings demanded by "the Law".

Rioting began. Jurrah was barricaded in a close friend's house. The close friend gave Jurrah the keys to his car, saying it had enough petrol to get him to Alice Springs, that he had to think of his AFL career and what it meant to the community. Jurrah drove half-way to Alice Springs, then turned back. His mother's and grandmother's houses were being attacked.

The dispute escalated into a virtual civil war and more than 100 people were relocated to Adelaide. Jurrah endeavoured to walk what an onlooker called a path of "active neutrality". He spent more of his free time in Hermannsberg, the home of his Arunda girlfriend, Shijara.

But in Yuendumu tensions kept rising.

At the Melbourne Football Club, Liam Jurrah is a popular figure. He has a quiet grace and is a practical joker with his teammates. In the world defined by sport and popular culture, he has been a rare (indeed, perhaps the only) good news story coming out of remote Aboriginal Australia.

Often, watching him play last year, I wondered if he were depressed. He now stands at the centre of a national drama.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/jurrah-a-man-caught-between-countries-20120309-1uq1f.html#ixzz1ofGLKcNW

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/star-footballer-denies-central-role-in-assault-20120309-1uq1g.html

Jail the son of a bitch. He obviously has anger issues. No remorse about it, if his attitude is the same as his friends and family, then jail the SOB. Times sure has changed. I remember at Pop Warner football practice, fathers (as well as my brothers) standing there watching the coach berate us, shove us, grab us by our face masks and drag us around. Running laps was the least of it. Mr. Pasceri (I still hate my coach..lol) used to punish me specifically by choosing me to enter the bull ring against the linebackers and linemen (I was a scrawny running back and they had me by at least 10 to 15 pounds). HS football was worse. Fathers in those days thought it toughened you up. They went through the same and if the coach had been around long enough, he had coached your older brothers or even fathers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/indiana-basketball-father-knocks-coach-unconscious-because-forced-150533694.html

Ind. basketball dad knocks coach unconscious because he forced daughter to run laps

According to WSBT, Yackus had punished Miller's daughter and another player who argued with each other during practice. Yet the only punishment that Yackus meted out was making the two girls run laps in the school's gym.

It appears that pushed the elder Miller over the edge. When he went to pick up his daughter later, she told the elder Miller about her punishment and he immediately attacked Yackus and punched him in the face.

That first punch apparently leveled the assistant coach, knocking him to the ground, where Miller climbed on top of him and repeatedly punched him in the face and head until he was completely unconscious.

…. Incredibly, those who accompanied Miller to his arraignment defended his actions to a WSBT reporter on site.

"If the coach is [expletive] with your kid, what are you to do?" Wynter Goodwin told the station. "You can't talk to him."

I just read "Bleachers" by John Grisham which is like nothing else he has written.

It's the story of a long serving high school football coach and some of the boys he coached.

If you haven't read it look for it even if you don't like Grisham.

I suspect I may be able to email you a copy, I'm sure I have one somewhere. B)

Archived