Random Sports Stories

Steve

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/entire-national-championship-chess-team-bolts-for-new-university?urn=top,wp394

The Texas Tech coach and her seven chessmasters who won their second straight national championship this month will all return next year to defend their title. But they'll be doing it at a different school.

In an unprecedented move in the world of college competition, Texas Tech's entire team will transfer to Webster University in the chess hotbed of St. Louis, home to the World Chess Hall of Fame. The private university promised more funding for the team and access to a new, 6,000-square-foot learning center in the city.

Unlike athletes who play college activities governed by the NCAA, chess players can transfer without sitting out for a year.

• 1 month later...

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201205/blurry-line-between-sports-and-assault

Earlier this month, when Phillies ace Cole Hamels threw a 93 mph fastball directly at Nationals rookie Bryce Harper, and later admitted he had done so intentionally, he wasn't just acting "old school" and "welcoming" the 19-year-old Harper to the big leagues. He was technically committing a felony.

What the f*ck?! Have we become such pansy asses that we're gonna start applying criminal law to routine sports actions? Bob Gibson made a career scaring hitters with his 'brush back' inside fastball and beaned numerous hitters who pissed him off (as a side note, no one wanted to charge the mound since he was a former golden gloves boxer...lol).

Pitchers have also beaned hitters for payback for all kinds of things. Ice hockey has fighting which is part of the sport. I'll admit to harshly fouling the opposition star player in a few basketball games when I was a kid. Throw him off his game, get him pissed off. Not proud of it but its what we did.

No one does any of this stuff with the intention of hurting or killing the person. They need to stay the eff out of this stuff. Okay, today's pitchers have the power to seriously hurt someone. Not saying that. The leagues have dealt with overaggressiveness with fines and suspensions. Let them handle all that. Let the MLB decide it for itself and not some court. My goodness. We're raising pussies these days. Trophies to ever one so no one has to lose. My brother is a youth soccer coach and he does not participate in any league that has that. Kids need to learn the same thing I did. You can try your damndest and still lose. Its called life. I sucked my first season in little league. I tried as hard as I could but I sucked. I worked on my game in the off season. Improved and got a most imoproved trophy. If I had gotten some trophy just for trying, I never would have worked at being a better player. At 8 or 9 years old at the time I would have thought I was good enough already.

In Pop Warner football we were taugh to play fairly but weren't coddled. You got right back up if you knocked on your ass. I was small for my age and weight class and got knocked my ass plenty. Taught me a world of good that I took later on in life.

What the f*ck are we doing with kids and sports these days.

Archived