Increasing Traffic

khunsanuk

Hi,

Been reading a book on running forums and it made some suggestions on how to increase / retain traffic. Figured I'd bring 'em up for discussion and see what we can do to increase traffic here.

Facebook / Twitter

This software allows integration with both of those apps. Not familiar at all with Twitter (in that I've never used it) and not sure how much integration there would be with either app. I think it would allow for 'liking' threads to your Facebook homepage though.

Anyway, would this be something you'd like to use?

Photo Contests

Now that we have a fully functional - and fully integrated - photo gallery again should we start monthly photo contests again? Might draw Old Hippie back :)

RSS feed

One of the things suggested in the book was using an RSS feed to pull in content from another site (for example The Nation or Bangkok Post) and turn that into threads. We've tried this before though and it didn't really seem to work I think. I guess we already have our own RSS feed in Flashermac anyway :)

Awards

This one I am not really sure how to make work. The suggestion was to have awards to 'promote / reward' members by having a monthly 'Member of the Month', as well as by doing yearly awards like 'Thread of the Year', 'Member of the Year', etc. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Member get member

In order to increase the number of members maybe each of us could see who in his circle of friends might be interested in joining us here and invite them?

Sanuk!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, go for it KS -

Facebook/Twitter: plenty will say they won't use FB or Twitter in conjunction with this board because of real names etc, but some will and that may drive traffic. Some of this is offered at the bottom of each post though.

Photo Contests? Why not. That generated interest in the past. Plus my new camera is itching to get a run! I'd make the first few topics relatively simple though, to encourage as many entrants as we can from both LOS and farangland. I'll even shout a prize (will be back in Feb - Aussie RED wine anyone?)

RSS feeds. If you think they work, why not?

Awards and prizes I can only see good things in relation to driving traffic.

Hi,

Have just sent out a couple of emails to regular posters who have been absent recently. Quite a few of the emails bounced though, so if any of you are in contact with people on this list, please drop them a line to see if everything is okay, and invite them back of course :)

Lord Toad, elef, Pescator, devils reject, drogon, BKKanalist, Weird, FAT_AUSSIE, teddy, sfinkz, Bhat_Man, longwoodguy74, the_numbers, loner w/a boner, Falang, USVirgin, AhTeckLim, Mentors, Pom_Jao_Choo, JaiGuruDev, BJ_Blackowitz, Neon Ninja, SUZIBANDIT, MisterBlonde

Sanuk!

I knew a forum whose admin that shamelessly headhunted members of other forums. ;)

Facebook is a good idea, you can put the best posts on it once a week and link to other users by becoming friends with them.

Check out ThaiVisa's page.

I was surprised to see the Federal Hotel in Bangkok started a page.

I think most of us have already recommended Thai360 to any friends who may be interested.

US Virgin is all right, just not spending much time on line. I haven't heard from Lord Toad in several years - hope he is in good health. Last I heard he retired to the Philippines, but I've seen him checking the board now and then. Drogon had been badly injured in a car accident a couple of years ago. He reappeared a while back, but has vanished again. I'll see if I can find a valid email for him. We all know about elef's problems. Hope he is recovering.

Hi,

"I knew a forum whose admin that shamelessly headhunted members of other forums."

I think that might actually work counter-productive, and would certainly cause some bad blood with the admins of the other sites. Not worth it, not to mention it seems like a rather sleazy move to make.

Sanuk!

I would recommend regular mailings with links to interesting posts (the outside LOS sub forum aside). I think many members who are not that much into LOS might just have forgotten about the board or thought that it had closed, when they tried to enter during the many downtimes before installing the new forum software...

It might be even possible to generate those emails automatically, like every second month or so.

Also I would do one initial and more personal mailing in regard to moving to new software, photo forums, contests, e.g. - after the questions in this thread had been decided.

It is also worth remembering that the Global Economic Crisis has/had a big effect on people's lives, and the main thrust of this board (nightlife) is discretionary to most people.

I see people coming back after long absences, and I know others who are absent as they have fallen onto interesting times and find mongering a financial negative for the moment.

I haven't been to LOS for several years now, and If I hadn't had a plan to conquer the very gently rising peaks of MyLaoGirl's breasts, I'd have given up on the board by now.

As a special interest group we are by nature, I think, transient.

But this new board software will bed in over the next months and from tech point of view it is an improvement on the old board.

If links like "http://www.thai360.com/fbb/store/thailand_books.php" and :http://thai360.com/fbb/thailand/recipes.php: worked it would make a difference.

Archived