Girlfriend Hassled By Philippine Immigration

walletss

It seems that many filipino women go overseas to either willingly or unwillingly work in prostitution - so this is the government's response.

That doesn't gel with my own understanding of how things work in PI, unless there is some kind of crackdown in place atm to appease the Church. Every Filipina I've talked to, from Australian-born-and-educated professionals to KL freelancers, makes it clear that the government's biggest export is people : anyone who goes to another country and sends money back to their family is, effectively, 'foreign export earnings'.

What surprised me is how easily the girls in KL claimed they could get things like student visas to extend their 'working holiday' : I thought it was a condition of such visas that you actually attended a certain number of hours each week ? Singapore is another country where its difficult to imagine the Immigration officers dont have a mental stamp that says 'Orchard Towers' every time a young Filipina woman appears in the queue, yet they seem to have no problems getting in.

I agree with Flash that the stories of abuse in Saudi, HK, Sillypore and elsewhere (including Australia) are horrific, but this is the first time that I have heard of a girl not being allowed out of PI, but I lead a sheltered life.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"

It seems a bit strange to me, punters in the PI used to cart their hooker girlfriends all over Asia, and further, and as far as I know still do.

"

I agree. I never heard about any problems till it happened to me. I had taken another girlfriend to Thailand previously with no interference from Philippine Immigration.

" "

I agree. I never heard about any problems till it happened to me. I had taken another girlfriend to Thailand previously with no interference from Philippine Immigration.

Would be interesting if next time you took a Thai girl to the PI - not sure how many would be up for it, but interesting nonetheless. They love Bali, so I guess you would just need to show her pics of the beaches.

Boracay, Cebu - there are probably hundreds of places in PI with scenery like that. One of the girls told me that there is (rideable) surf on some of their beaches and, afaik, that is something you are unlikely to see in Thailand. Those of us who grew up near surf beaches take all that for granted, but for someone who has never seen surf, much less splashed around in it, I expect it would be a blast.

Yeah, there's surf on the Pacific coast of Luzon and I'd think there would be on Eastern Mindanao.

They list both on various 'surf nazi' sites, and I'm sure there are hundreds of secret spots all over the islands. Its easy to look at a map and say 'wow, they must get swell there !', but impossible unless you know about reefs/currents etc : I lived in Rocky for years and knew guys who would drive down the highway to Agnes Water on spec but that's about as hardcore as I can imagine any surfer getting. The guys who spend a day on a boat, then have to shit through a hole in their elevated hut for a week while they wait for waves .....

http://www.worldsurfaris.com/surf-travel/surf-trips/Sumatra/

At least one of the Sumatran camps lost a tourist to a wild animal, presumably a tiger, when he stupidly left the hut at night.

• 4 months later...

Back in the 1980s a lot of Filipinas were working as maids in Saudi Arabia. There were some horrible stories of rape and even near slavery. As a result, the Philippine government banned women under 50 from working in Saudi. I hadn't heard about them stopping women from going other places though.

Never heard of this ban when did this take place..?? I have been working in Saudi since the early 80s and their are Thousands of Filipina's here under and over the age of 50..??

Archived