Tourist Visa (Exemption!?)

zeitgeist

I arrived early September on the 30day tourist visa exemption.

1.Can I extend this by 30 days?

2.Without leaving the country?

3.If not what do I need to do/apply for?

4.What do I need for the above?

5.And where exactly (address please, soi will do...) do I do it?

Sorry, I'm sure the answers are here already but I've read so many posts without ever getting a definitive answer that I thought I may as well ask.

Thanks for helping a dummy.

Z

No, no extension on an exemption. And if you leave the country and return by a land route you only get a 15 days exemption.

You have to apply for any sort of visa outside of Thailand, the Thai consulate/embassy in your country would be a good start.

If you want to start your visit with an exemption then upgrade to a tourist visa you'll have to head to the Thai Embassy in a nearby country and apply for a tourist visa... 60+30 days last time I looked.

No, no extension on an exemption. And if you leave the country and return by a land route you only get a 15 days exemption.

You have to apply for any sort of visa outside of Thailand, the Thai consulate/embassy in your country would be a good start.

If you want to start your visit with an exemption then upgrade to a tourist visa you'll have to head to the Thai Embassy in a nearby country and apply for a tourist visa... 60+30 days last time I looked.

Hi

Iam going to Thailand next year for 31 days.Would i need to get a visa before i left the uk?

You could pay the one day overstay fine when you leave the country but personally I don't like to do this.

Other than that you could do a "visa run" to one of the border crossings in the second half of your stay which would give you an extra 15 days from that date.

I believe tourist visas for longer periods are fairly easily obtained from the Thai consulate at Hull in the UK.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

All my Brit friends seem to go to Hull for an easy visa, though one of them did it at Cardiff. The UK consulates seem to be pretty "kind" when it comes to even lengthy non-immigrant visas.

If you are here and your visa exemption is about to expire, the options are overland and back (Cambodia or Laos) for 15 days, or a flight to Penang or Laos for a tourist visa. Either one if fine. I enjoy Georgetown or Wiengchan for a few days. Makes for a pleasant and relaxed change. Stay at a cheap hotel and unwind a bit.

p.s. Malaysia gives you a free 3-month visa on arrival. Laos makes you pay US$35.

I certainly feel more at home in Laos. I can get by in the language (unlike Malaysia), but Lao feels more like upcountry Thailand. Malaysia really is different. Plenty of good Indian restaurants and a good place to load up on cheap batik souvenirs and gifts - though the muezzin waking you up with his call to prayers around 5am isn't so cool. :(

And the beer in Laos is--as they say--"almost free" (seriously--200 baht for a 3 litre tower of Beer Lao draft? FUUUUuuuuuck!!), as opposed to the massive sin tax they lay on your Great Satan ass in Malaysia...

Archived