Sunee Grand/tower Hotel - Ubon Ratchathani

zeitgeist

Just done the first and all important visit to the future inlaws in Ubon (I'll post more details about that in the relevant area). Stayed in the aforementioned Sunee Grand Hotel. Found it online, Agoda I think, was one of the better looking hotels available while still being inside the town/city. 1500baht per room per night.

Didn't book online, got the better half to ring up and reserve. Requesting 2 rooms for 2 nights, 1 with double bed and 1 with 2 singles. Rooms on the same floor and preferably next to each other and if possible a smoking room (all of which their website said was available). This was some 4 months before the date of arrival. Also wanted to check-in early but we were told to call 1 week before the date to confirm.

Before I start moaning, the good bits...hotel was in very good condition/clean and the rooms were spacious and better than expected. The price had been lowered to 1300baht per and the location was good for what we required. Plus the free taxi to and from the airport was convenient.

Called 3 days before arrival to confirm early check-in and booking conditions were all ok. All confirmed. Hotel said they had a free taxi service from the airport to the hotel.

Arrived at Ubon airport on time and had taxi (minibus) waiting. Whisked off to hotel and all was looking good. Entered the hotel with a chorus of 'Suay' (beautiful/pretty) from my accompaniment. Then it all started to go down hill.

Unable to check-in early as no rooms available until 14.00 (we wanted/notified the hotel that we would be arriving at 08.00 which they confirmed)

Change; room suddenly available but only 1 room was left in the hotel and the 4 of us could share for the first night

Change; 2 rooms available but only 1 until 14.00.

Change; but not on the same floor

Change; 2 rooms, same floor but 1 now and 1 at 14.00.

Ok, fine. I was getting bored with this conversation and was happy we could get into 1 room now, the fact they weren’t next to each other wasn’t a problem.

Change; the rooms are no longer on the same floor.

Change; we can have both rooms now, on the same floor but they have no rooms in the hotel that have 2 single beds. Why they waited so long to say this I have no idea.

This was the same check-in conversation, with the same member of staff. Who was constantly checking her computer. No translation difficulties as she spoke English, my other half speaks Thai and passable English and me, vice versa.

Up we go to the rooms. Unpack. I look around no ashtray. I call reception. All rooms are no smoking. The no smoking and no single beds is not an issue, the fact they say they have/do all these on their website and on other websites is.

Late that night, after returning from the farm, we ordered room service. A total of 400 baht. The smallest note I had was 500 so I said the he could keep it. Now, 100 baht isn’t much to me coming from the UK (2GBP) but I doubt he’s on more than 300 a day, but not even a thank you. Unfortunately this was a common theme with the hotel. Only the door greeters said ‘sawadee krup’. All others were lacking in courtesy. No Ka’s or Krup’s, no thank you’s or excuse me’s/sorry’s. I was brought up to mind my P’s and Q’s (before anyone say’s I’m a miserable old fart, I’m 33…so a miserable young fart) and I and my better half are trying to do the same with her 2 youngsters, so this not only really annoys me but undermines what we are trying to teach them.

No matter what you asked the staff they never gave the true answer the first time. Even asking where the swimming pool was located we were directed into the supermarket next door.

I had paid in advance when checking-in for the rooms so on departure only had to pay for any mini-bar items (2xPepsi @ 20baht), at check-out a bill for 180 baht was presented. After 10 mins of the receptionist calling everybody and anybody it was amended to 40baht. But there was no apology.

Many might say what I’m moaning about is trivial but I’ve stayed in many hotels in Thailand ( and Asia) some much more expensive, some a lot cheaper but all have had the common courtesy to be polite even when problems or mistakes have occurred.

I would recommend the hotel only if they retrained or replaced 99% of the staff.

Yours moaningly

Z

Archived