A Newish Beginning

sayjann

i like phuket/patong but it has gone downhill in the years i have visited.

in all my time visiting i have probably not been in more than 20 bars altogether,i like my regular places and feel comfortable in familiar places.

i can't be doing with going in a bar and getting harrassed all the time by the ladies,if i see one i would like to talk to/buy a drink then i will make the first move and then decide later if she's the one for the night.

but so many changes which has to be expected,bars close and bars open,but i gave many of the new soi's off of bangla a miss as i could'nt be bothered to go through the hassle.

my fave go-go went years ago and i still miss the place but 'playschool' in soi seadragon is still there and i like to go there and see my friends i have known for years.

tiger disco is undergoing a renovation and at the moment looks a vast disco is on the make.

bangla still full of people still trying to get you to buy their wares but i just ignore unless there is something i want,which is normally just DVD's.

in my bar during the day i was harrassed by certain vendors allday/everyday and why the fuck can they not understand me telling them politely 'no thank you' and bothering me every 20 minutes with the same wares and me keep telling them NO...... :cussing:

there was one girl(probably about 11/12)who i adored as she was lovely and never bothered me after i told her the first time i did'nt want any of her flower garlands but i always got a huge smile from her every time she walked past me.

she took great delight in putting her fingers around my wrist and laughing/smiling when her fingers encircled my wrist.

she was also a minder to me by telling other thai's to leave me alone if she saw them bothering me and i would buy her a bottle of water everyday if she wanted.

at the end of my stay i bought all her garlands and presented them to my friends in the bar and after chat between her and my gal a price was agreed and we were both happy and she gave me huge hug and a big kiss on my cheek and the girls in the bar loved her reaction and cheered and clapped her.

i told my gal that my little friend would be back with more flowers and within 30 mins she was back walking up and down bangla.

i rarely visited bangla at night as it has gone downhill and i know of better places to go but i do like being able to walk down the middle of the road at night and avoid much of the hassle of the bars.

many freelancers who i avoided as i was normally with my gal.

but i used to hate the top end of bangla towards tai-pan at closing time because the ladyboys appeared in droves and while i have no thoughts of them in a sexual way many were just a real nuisance when approaching me and my gal.

i stll like bangla as it has it's good and bad points but it's a place i have no need to visit everynight like i did in the past.

but to a newbie/group of fellas/couples i can see the attraction of a night out.

i think if this had been my first visit i would have been overwhealmed by what is on offer.

but my friend who has lived on phuket thinks that bangla will be a ghost town in less than 3 years,he and his thai wife/friends see the writing on the wall.

but i must make things a bit more interesting by telling of what happened to me on a personnal view.

am i wasting my time returning in a few weeks time?

it depends on your lifestyle.

if i was like i was 10 years ago i would have had a good time getting attention from many ladies and shagging myself silly.

ir you're a party animal then it's even more fun then before,you can have a ball.

but i've changed and prefer a quieter life when i'm awake.

but i STILL had a great time because i have cultivated friendships over the years and liked to spend time with them.

i liked lazy days on the beach(something i had no interest in before),going out to thai places with friends and having sociable meals in places where the tourist would never find.

i was in thailand and it was good to get away from the tourist areas and mix socially with the locals.

if you want to hit the nightspots then nothing to stop you.

i made many new friends and even though i was often asked for a LD i just hit on a system of playing a game with a different lady everyday for a reward and that way everyone got a fair chance and my company.

when i was with my gal i was rarely bothered by others as they knew we were an item and whilst friendly others respected my wishes of being left alone unless i wanted to get them involved.

a very good thai restaurant had vanished which was a real shame but i enjoyed eating street meals with the ladies who worked in my hotel's spa,a great bunch of ladies.

my last 2 visits have seen me interested in spending more time with the locsls outside the bar scene.

i can have a drink anytime but being with people who just liked to have me around with no hassles was great for me.

had planned to make a few more daytrips but that never really happened but enjoyed one which was a great day out.

when i go in december i will do more as i found about others the day i was leaving and they look fun.

what made it a happy holiday for me was seeing my gal have a good time and really enjoying herself and her words of thanks for letting her have a good time was good for me.

i had one bad night but i expected at least one during my trip,par for the course i've found over the years.

only downfall was the last 4 days when i was a little unwell and made me a little unsociable and i was often in bed my midnight.

but i think something was going around as a few of my friends felt unwell the same time as me.

but overall i had quiet and i had raucous nights,i just decided at the time what i fancied doing during the nights out.

i really enjoyed my visit that made me book to go back in december.

made 3 really good falang friends and we would just have a quiet drink and a good laugh at all hours of the day.

but what made it special to me was meeting someone who was great to be with and looked after me when i was pissed and unwell.

i had a slight problem when i was there and everyday she would treat a nasty cut on my foot and would buy all the medication out of her own pocket and often she bought the food for our late night suppers.

she showed me things i had never seen and introduced me to some good people who became firm friends.

she had a great sense of humour and was fun to be with,a real darling and she has e-mailed me everyday since i left and i will see her again in december if she is still around.

but a couple of her friends made it clear they wanted to spend time with me so i might expand my horizons.

i have all intentions of having busy nights out on xmas eve/new years eve like i do in the uk but otherwise no plans made.

a holiday is only what you yourself make of it.

Thanks Sayjann - this is the first positive report I've seen on Phuket in a very long time, and I'm not just talking P4P. A lot of Aussie tourists are majorly disappointed with the attitude of local Thais atm, despite the cheap airfare/hotel deals, and I've seen reports that some are going back to Bali instead. Based on my last visit to Kuta and surrounds, that puts Phuket in a very dim light indeed.

Thanks Sayjann - this is the first positive report I've seen on Phuket in a very long time, and I'm not just talking P4P. A lot of Aussie tourists are majorly disappointed with the attitude of local Thais atm, despite the cheap airfare/hotel deals, and I've seen reports that some are going back to Bali instead. Based on my last visit to Kuta and surrounds, that puts Phuket in a very dim light indeed.

maybe a positive report?,but only from my POV.

i've been going for 11 years and have seen things improve and go downhill at the same time.because i have long-time friends i know i can get away from the tourists and sample a bit of local life.

but i look around and i see tourists getting ripped off left,right and centre,but not for me to interfere.

the go-go's are the prime example where men are delighted with the attention thay get from the ladies and don't realise how much they are spending and often just walk away thinking they had a good time.

as i say i have calmed down and like a quiet time but when the occasion arises i can certainly splash the cash and KNOW i have had a good time because the rewards will come later that night(after work)or another day.

so many tourists just cruise the bars and spend much cash without really having a good time.

after all i can get drunk in my country with mates and then go home and fall asleep,whereas in thailand just keep it steady and you can end the night with a sex crazed woman,i know which option i prefer.

women in thailand can be very aggressive when they work in bars(i have no idea if it's different in a place like bali)and they certainly know how to work a man for his cash.

on earlier trips i certainly fell into their traps but know i know how the system works and am able to be the master.

i normally start off my evenings in a quiet area of patong and many,many bars but was always quiet at night,maybe low season to blame.

from my bar i could see at least 18 aussie themed bars but no custoners,i presume many more around as i could only see a small amount of bars in the area.

i would often turn up around 10pm and over half had closed for the night.

but i suppose bangla also has a bigger attraction for the lad/s about town.

i wonder if i see a difference over the christmas period?.

....the go-go's are the prime example where men are delighted with the attention thay get from the ladies and don't realise how much they are spending and often just walk away thinking they had a good time......so many tourists just cruise the bars and spend much cash without really having a good time.....

Sorry, but how do you know that they haven't had a good time? :confused::dunno:

Guest lazyphil

it depends on your lifestyle.

if i was like i was 10 years ago i would have had a good time getting attention from many ladies and shagging myself silly.

ir you're a party animal then it's even more fun then before,you can have a ball.

but i've changed and prefer a quieter life when i'm awake.

but i STILL had a great time because i have cultivated friendships over the years and liked to spend time with them.

i liked lazy days on the beach(something i had no interest in before),going out to thai places with friends and having sociable meals in places where the tourist would never find.

i was in thailand and it was good to get away from the tourist areas and mix socially with the locals.

if you want to hit the nightspots then nothing to stop you.

i made many new friends and even though i was often asked for a LD i just hit on a system of playing a game with a different lady everyday for a reward and that way everyone got a fair chance and my company.

when i was with my gal i was rarely bothered by others as they knew we were an item and whilst friendly others respected my wishes of being left alone unless i wanted to get them involved.

a very good thai restaurant had vanished which was a real shame but i enjoyed eating street meals with the ladies who worked in my hotel's spa,a great bunch of ladies.

my last 2 visits have seen me interested in spending more time with the locsls outside the bar scene.

i can have a drink anytime but being with people who just liked to have me around with no hassles was great for me.

had planned to make a few more daytrips but that never really happened but enjoyed one which was a great day out.

when i go in december i will do more as i found about others the day i was leaving and they look fun.

what made it a happy holiday for me was seeing my gal have a good time and really enjoying herself and her words of thanks for letting her have a good time was good for me.

i had one bad night but i expected at least one during my trip,par for the course i've found over the years.

only downfall was the last 4 days when i was a little unwell and made me a little unsociable and i was often in bed my midnight.

but i think something was going around as a few of my friends felt unwell the same time as me.

but overall i had quiet and i had raucous nights,i just decided at the time what i fancied doing during the nights out.

i really enjoyed my visit that made me book to go back in december.

made 3 really good falang friends and we would just have a quiet drink and a good laugh at all hours of the day.

but what made it special to me was meeting someone who was great to be with and looked after me when i was pissed and unwell.

i had a slight problem when i was there and everyday she would treat a nasty cut on my foot and would buy all the medication out of her own pocket and often she bought the food for our late night suppers.

she showed me things i had never seen and introduced me to some good people who became firm friends.

she had a great sense of humour and was fun to be with,a real darling and she has e-mailed me everyday since i left and i will see her again in december if she is still around.

but a couple of her friends made it clear they wanted to spend time with me so i might expand my horizons.

i have all intentions of having busy nights out on xmas eve/new years eve like i do in the uk but otherwise no plans made.

a holiday is only what you yourself make of it.

thanks alot for the info. i've not lost faith in patong and i know we'll (dad going with me) will have a great time. as long as theres beer bars and girls its all good. renting a toyota vigo 4x4, so can your about to phang nga, promthep cape etc in the day and do the bars by night. i cant wait. beats the hell out of the shitty nightlife here lol

Sorry, but how do you know that they haven't had a good time? :confused::dunno:

it's only an assumption i admit.

but my thoughts are that if a group of lads are out on the town in a place like bangla rd on phuket then they are looking to have a few beers and find some female/male company.

i would find it hard to believe that all they wanted was to get pissed and then go home alone after the offers they might well be offered.

as i said it's very easy for me to go out and mix with friends,have a few beers and then go home with a special friend,but these days sometimes i do go home alone as after all if i wake up at 4am i know i can find some company out on the street if i want.

i find it hard to believe that men out for the night will not be tempted by what they see and experience and then regret that they missed out on company.

in the past i have certainly regretted waking up alone when i had my choice of all sorts of women throwing themselves at me.

i assume that a lot of men go on a holiday like that because they have heard of the good times to be had.

i just think that someone spending £30-£40 on LD's and then rebuffing all offers of company can have that good a time.

throwing money away like that is no fun in my in my eyes.

Archived