Toshiba Saterllite L750

Guest baldrick

Wired of course.

Whilst wired is faster than wireless how much speed is actually required?

Wireless 802.11N can hit speeds of 300Mbps which is a damn site faster than my ADSL connection, range of approx 70 Meters indoors and 250 Meters outdoors.

On my home network I currently have 3 laptops, a netbook, Internet TV, Printer / Scanner / Fax and 3 smart phones, the router is located next to the balcony and I can still get 7500kbps on my Macbook Air whilst seven floors up poolside on a TOT Homeplus account (9 dl / 1 ul) I have no problems watching movies stored on my time capsule via wireless on the Internet TV.

Wired may be faster but wireless offers far more flexibility for a basic home network.

Guest lazyphil

ok ta. question about antivirus. this brand new toshiba had mcafee installed that in 30 days would needupgrading, i deleted and put avg from the internet on. i've used before and hear a good system but now wonder why being such a tight wad a bad idea???....is avg a desent antivirus program?

So far it has caught every single virus that tried to infect my computer, except for the one that did. :)

Yup - we sell Norton here, and I am repeatedly tasked with removing AVG Free, disinfecting the computer and installing Norton. End of the day, they are only as good as the team providing the virus definition updates, but as long as you update Windows and your virus suite regularly, you should be OK. Unless you are hosting files on behalf of the FBI, most of the attacks against your machine will come from 'script kiddies' - its very unlikely that you will attract the attention of serious crackers from people like the Russian mob or hardcore 'hacktivists'. That said, paranoia is a good thing - I don't store my bank details anywhere on my machine, and I have my browser set to delete cookies everytime I shut it down.

Guest lazyphil

gee, avg hard to remove?...i guess i better just stick with it now. its said to slow computers down?...mine seems ok, so far. toshiba loaded this machine with mcafee and i had to meddle with it and now i'm wishing i just left it be thats despite no obvious problem. with 6 jiggers of RAM it shouldn't slow me down???..........pure paranoia kicking in now. it hurts :surprised:

Archived