Yep, I'm An Idiot ....

gobbledonk

2012 will mark 10 years on the board for people like lazyphil and myself, and I have spent far too much of that time hanging around this board. At various times, I have assumed that the timings on each post were 'screwy', and must line up with the timings of a server under KS' bed or something. It was no biggie and I am a phenomenally lazy individual.

I went in to my settings today to find that my timezone was 'Abu Dhabi, ...'. A quick change and, voila, the post timings now approximate my current position in time and space. Its a bit like cleaning out the fridge and finding that leftover lasagne that seems to predate the war on terror - no amount of shaking one's head can make it any less glaring.

Toodles.

Hi,

"This is one of the few sites where time zone has to be set independently of computer clock"

Actually this is very common for forums. I think pretty much every one I have ever signed up for has a setting for your timezone.

Sanuk!

Surprisingly, you arent able to (reliably) retrieve the timezone of a client computer with either Javascript or PHP - my muddled brain thought it was possible, but clearly I *am* an idiot. :eek:

Screw this:

http://www.onlineaspect.com/2007/06/08/auto-detect-a-time-zone-with-javascript/

Hi,

"This is one of the few sites where time zone has to be set independently of computer clock"

Actually this is very common for forums. I think pretty much every one I have ever signed up for has a setting for your timezone.

Sanuk!

Ummmmm....NO, it's NOT. It's 2011, get with the fucking program.

Archived