How To Save On That Appalling Bar Tab

gobbledonk

It took me a long time to accept that you can pay for all of a girl's immediate needs, take her to movies and buy her trinkets, but she is still going to need that cash in the hand. Unless you somehow meet the only working girl in Thailand with no debts (including rent) or family, its inescapable. As many have pointed out over the years, it can be a lot cheaper to just pay her to leave in the morning. I'm not deriding the GFE, but thats the simple economics of it - I often wish I had just handed Ms CP 100K baht in exchange for a signed agreement that she would never come within 30 metres of me. :banghead:

With the dollar losing so much value, I've had to watch my spending in the bars more carefully. I will not try to do things so cheap that it restricts me in having fun, and also spending too much which can happen real quick the first couple of nights in Pattaya or Bangkok. I turn down many requests for ladydrinks, and only buy them if I'm interested in taking her out for the night.

i see the point.

as a tourist i have to have a budget because things can soon get out of control.

my last gal asked for 1500bt LT,but after i spent much bt on paying for her to leave the bar for many days i made a deal with her for 800bt per 24 hours.

for that i was with her 24/7 and while still spending on drinks and food i was still mainly in pocket each day.

i can easily have quiet days/nights and spend little cash but the drinks i buy for others up the cash spent.

but i decide who gets a drink and that keeps the price down.............but.

if you have a lady for a long time they soon realise what they can take you for and that's when it gets expensive.

but luckily i will have my budget but i will also have 3 times that much available from an ATM if i need a little extra.

Yes these ladies do have a way of getting more out of you especially if they become s semi permanent fixture in your room i.e. they are with you for a week or more.

If you go shopping with them to the like of Boots, they'll load up with all sorts of things that you won't be using (or use very little of) and when they leave they bring it all with them. Must save them a good few baht and probably get some for their friends too.

Cunning c...nts they are.

Yes these ladies do have a way of getting more out of you especially if they become s semi permanent fixture in your room i.e. they are with you for a week or more.

If you go shopping with them to the like of Boots, they'll load up with all sorts of things that you won't be using (or use very little of) and when they leave they bring it all with them. Must save them a good few baht and probably get some for their friends too.

Cunning c...nts they are.

thankfully i've gotten out of that situation.

i travel with no deodorant/toothpaste/toothbrush/shower wash etc.

i buy men's deodorant and when i ask the lady when i leave if they want what is left they usually turn their noses up.

same with toothbrush/paste as many carry their own in their bags.

but they do like the shower gel but as i'm a cheap barstard i make sure a bottle lasts for my entire trip and nothing left for them....... :biggrin:

i shop for what i want when i arrive and on occasions if i am with a lady i give them their own basket.

i don't mind paying for the odd small thing they want but they have no chance of filling up my basket with what they want and expecting me to pay......... :rotl:

On prior trips the bar tab has exceeded any other spending, US 100-200 per day. A few times 300. Ironically much more than I would ever spend here in Los Angeles. And I never ring the bell either.

But I buy many drinks for myself (many), along with ladydrinks, waitress drinks, mamasan drinks, bartender drinks, and whomever I'm talking to drinks. Fuck it, it's holiday. Don't regret it, haven't had any bad experiences.

The problem with this has been though, you get too many people hovering and worse -- those making puppy dog eyes every time you order a round -- and I'm a sucker. "ok, one for you too". Hence I move around a lot.

But if I were to stay there for a significant period of time, that approach ain't gonna cut it.

Where do you buy the big Leos? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, I'm mining Stick again, but this takes the freakin' cake ....

A reader reckons he has seen the ultimate Cheap Charlie in Pattaya. He was being a Cheap Charlie himself, drinking 50 baht Tiger beers at his favourite beer bar on Second Road near the Dolphin roundabout when a guy walks up to the bar with a large Leo Beer and asks the bartender to open it. They did so for the princely sum of 10 baht. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy your own in Pattaya and take them along to your favourite watering hole?!

Seriously ? It must be one serious low season for them to agree to this. Makes me ashamed to be a Farang. :banghead:

pattaya...yes you do see every low life there ...it aint no fun.....especially for the girls..back to your question...budget...cant afford it ..shut up and move on!!stop fcking moaning about !!!!!!

pattaya...yes you do see every low life there ...it aint no fun.....especially for the girls..back to your question...budget...cant afford it ..shut up and move on!!stop fcking moaning about !!!!!!

sorry mate dont think this addressed to you ...its a general comment regarding the bar tab question!!

sorry mate dont think this addressed to you ...its a general comment regarding the bar tab question!!

If you re-read that opening post, it was about someone who seems hellbent on pushing a bar owner's buttons - I believe that most of this thread has been light-hearted and I'm fairly confident that most of the regulars here *can* afford a hefty checkbin, albeit not every time they step into a bar. I could be wrong, but I doubt that any of them would ever try sneaking in their own beer - whatever our Cheap Charlie friend's finances, he has set a new low.

Archived