Flood?

radioman

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sayjann, you'd pee your pants - I think you should leave women like that to REAL MEN like me ! :neener:

All jocularity aside, I cant believe what a slow, creeping menace this has been. They showed footage on ABC of some elephants cleaning up Ayuttaya, but many other parts of the north are, reportedly, still under water. Really depressing, particularly on the cusp of their high season.

The aerial photos are particularly sobering - all those cars parked on the highway, so many people down below forced to do the best they can - its apocalyptic. If you believe the climate change naysayers, we can count on events like this to become more frequent - clearly, they make those predictions from ivory towers in the mountains overlooking Denver or Zurich ....

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2011/11/07/captured-aerial-photos-of-flooding-in-thailand/5072/

This is what happens when you build where you should not. Low areas that had often flooded in the past were turned into housing estates or industrial parks. Sooner or later, it had to happen.

The flood water is clearly going down ... not gone yet. Here is is the intersection at Ngamwongwan yesterday, people waiting for the ferry to cross over:

post-98-0-17938800-1321318827_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-99225200-1321318866_thumb.jpg

Say what you will about the Thais, but they are a resourceful, resilient lot when the situation calls for it. OK, maybe not their politicians, but the average man in the street has a 'can do' attitude - those rafts are priceless ! Similar photos in the Brisbane floods would have seen people in 'tinnie' fishing boats - maybe the odd bod on a surf ski or similar, but a *mattress* ? Priceless.

Say what you will about the Thais, but they are a resourceful, resilient lot when the situation calls for it. OK, maybe not their politicians, but the average man in the street has a 'can do' attitude - those rafts are priceless ! Similar photos in the Brisbane floods would have seen people in 'tinnie' fishing boats - maybe the odd bod on a surf ski or similar, but a *mattress* ? Priceless.

Great post!

Imagine Katrina in 2005. (which was ~1% of what has happened to Thai) to be handled by the US authorithies.

Wish I had some pics of the rafts made of maybe several hundred plastic water bottles all tied together. I saw a "boat" made out of a sheet of aluminuniminium or whatever hammered into shape. Must have takens some doing to make it. Haven't seen anybody riding inflatable sex dolls yet. :hmmm:

Was there a near civil war, shooting, looting, for life displaced persons as it was around Katrina (and the trouble and its wake still persists)?

Thais, as much of Asia are risilent, mercantile and they rebuild their lives with no outsiders help. A self-healing society, like it or not.

Imagine this hell of a disaster in America and you would guess who copes better.

Archived