Night Life And Fllods

Another_Guy

Hi guys.

Just have a quick question. I am planning on coming in to pattaya for 2 days from Vietnam in late October. I have been reading the news of the floods.

Any chance the floods would effect Pattaya in your opinion and the possibility of the airport closing because of the floods. I also dont want to spend forever on the road becuase they are all blocked with water.

I am not so familiar with the area so local knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks

I've just spent 2 weeks in Bangkok and Pattaya/Jomtiem, a little rain, but I didn't see any floods.

And the Mekong at Vientiane today is only half full.

But the TV shows lotsa floods in Thailand are imminent. And there's maps in a separate thread.

A colleague is in Pattaya right now. Says it is bone dry. The southeast coast hasn't been hit by floods, as far as I know. I haven't heard any news of flooding at Swampypoom airport either.

Looks like frequent showers in Pattaya, but nothing else.

Weather service

The TV news was showing a very well spoken Thai gentleman, speaking American English, saying that Swampypoom has pumps that are working quite well to keep the airport high and dry.

The TV news has been showing Auytedya (sp?) and Nakorn Sawan pretty much under water.

Floods in Pattaya occur, but only affect certain areas (like my house :( ) and only last for a while. The longest I've ever seen a flood go on was this year, and that lasted about 12 hours and, again, was only to a limited area of low-lying Pattaya. The chances you'll be affected in late October I'd put at less than a half a percent.

Airlines are preparing to activate contingency plans including moving their aircraft away from Suvarnabhumi airport in case flooding forces its closure.

Thai carriers Thai Airways International (THAI), Bangkok Airways and Thai AirAsia may have to send their aircraft, numbering about 140 in total, to airports elsewhere in Thailand that have not been affected by flooding.

Their decision came as authorities, including Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT), struggled to beef up flood protection measures for one of Southeast Asia's busiest airports, especially raising earthen dykes around the airport.

AoT acting president Somchai Sawasdeepon said yesterday efforts were underway to increase the 3m-high protective wall, built around the airport's 23.5km perimeter, by another 50cm.

So far a 6km section has been built up and he estimated the entire job would be finished on Oct 20.

THAI, which operates the largest fleet in Thailand with more than 80 aircraft, was considering moving many of its planes from its Suvarnabhumi base to the Royal Thai Navy-operated U-Tapao Pattaya airport, a senior Thai executive said yesterday.

Though there is no hard rule as to how much water would need to be covering the runway before declaring it unsuitable for take-offs and landings, standing water of just 3-4mm on the tarmac is enough for any pilot to abort a flight, Jothin Pamon-montri, a pilot with 40 years' experience, said yesterday.

Aviation experts say Don Mueang airport can be used as alternative airport to Suvarnabhumi in case the latter is inundated in the coming days.

Don Mueang airport has the necessary support facilities to enable the continuation of commercial flights through the capital.

They said AoT and authorities must do whatever they can and at any cost to prevent Suvarnabhumi from flooding as the fallout from such a failure would be unimaginable.

An AoT spokeswoman said the airport's flood prevention system included six water holding basins and eight pumping stations.

The system was designed to cope with 149mm of rainfall a day.

My link

chances of an airport shutdown or even major flight cancellations I'd put to insignificant - at least much lower than when the yellow shirts were at the helm some year(s) back :p

basically only air transport is left functioning domestically as both rail & roads are blocked/broken by floods!

chances of an airport shutdown or even major flight cancellations I'd put to insignificant - at least much lower than when the yellow shirts were at the helm some year(s) back :p

basically only air transport is left functioning domestically as both rail & roads are blocked/broken by floods!

Have traveled the past week here both by rail and by road (bus) from Bangkok to Surin. 4 hour delays for both modes of transport. Staying home for a while! Bad enough the long trips, but four hours extra is a literal pain in the ass (though using the sleeper train is best by far). An extra four hours added to the 6 hour bus ride to Surin is just too much. And on the train the reading lamps actually worked, the bed was much more comfortable than a damned bus seat, and, you could buy beers and coffee on the train and chat to fellow farangs in the dining car area.

Archived