Night Life And Fllods

Another_Guy

maybe u were lucky to go be4 the rail link through ayuthaya went bust, but ok I heard they now operate again via an alternative route eastwards lol.

can only agree the sleeper is kinda useful & way safer than those wicked buses!

cheers :beer:

p.s. so backtracking a bit on my sweeping statement that only air was viable way - well to the north at least (northeast, east & south OK presumedly)

I used to travel a lot by train. Loved it. Now I try not to travel, or fly if necessary.

I would book a sleeper to Chiang Mai on a Thursday, and take an AWOL bag with me to work on Friday. Catch the train at Samsen station, order a cold Singha or two and a plate of yahm pla grawb (crispy fish salad). Turn in around 9pm and wake up the next morning in the mountains near Chiang Mai. My Mrs would meet me at the CM station. Great way to go. :beer:

Of course, the northern rail line is cut now. It happens every year for a few days, but this year its ridiculous. :p

Here's a comment I got on the email:

<< Sadly, the flooding we are now experiencing in Thailand was caused by bad judgement earlier this year. In order to avoid a drought season early next year, officials chose to retain water behind the three large dams in the North. Not knowing we would have these heavy storms, too much water was held back. When the dams reached capacity, water had to be released to protect the integrity of the dams. This release, along with the runoff from the mountains and the overflowing Mekong River and continuing heavy rain is what is now causing this disaster. >>

I used to travel a lot by train. Loved it. Now I try not to travel, or fly if necessary.

I would book a sleeper to Chiang Mai on a Thursday, and take an AWOL bag with me to work on Friday. Catch the train at Samsen station, order a cold Singha or two and a plate of yahm pla grawb (crispy fish salad). Turn in around 9pm and wake up the next morning in the mountains near Chiang Mai. My Mrs would meet me at the CM station. Great way to go. :beer:

Of course, the northern rail line is cut now. It happens every year for a few days, but this year its ridiculous. :p

<< Sadly, the flooding we are now experiencing in Thailand was caused by bad judgement earlier this year. In order to avoid a drought season early next year, officials chose to retain water behind the three large dams in the North. Not knowing we would have these heavy storms, too much water was held back. When the dams reached capacity, water had to be released to protect the integrity of the dams. This release, along with the runoff from the mountains and the overflowing Mekong River and continuing heavy rain is what is now causing this disaster. >>

Yes, but why no catchment basins for the excess, or underground water tanks, etc.? The one who can not be mentioned here has been telling the govs this needs to be done for a decade or more. No one listened to him it seems.

A good book or two (or a Kindle these days stuffed with good reading material to occupy one's mind), a decent seat cushion, and bed to sleep in, and a day's travel by train can get you anywhere in Thailand and the surrounding countries in comfort within 24 hours if you have the leisure time to travel this way. And not expensive. Good for the retiree on a budget. See the countryside, meet new people while traveling, and see the country all over. There are many inexpensive, decent, hotels all over the country. 450 to 750 baht rooms with AC and hot water shower abound in the LOS. Cheap and easy to do if you are in no rush here.

Archived