Expat Gives Up

Julian2

I published a link to a very disturbing graph in 'Finances' - I wont bore you with the details, but suffice it to say that the top 1% of rich bastards in the US have a disproportionately high proportion of the nations immense wealth. I can only imagine what that graph would look like in Thailand.

Some will say 'thats the way of the world', but to go from less than 9% in the 70s to over 23% in 2007 (thats 23% of America's pre-tax income (!)), clearly the big end of town has their hands in the right pockets and is increasingly able to pull the strings on people like GWB.

And then a new generation of corrupt, greedy and incompetent politicians, military, bureaucrats and CEO's will eagerly step forward to replace them. :beer:

Perhaps, but I am impressed with the new graduates we have hired over the past two or three years. The fact that the older dead wood despises them for their integrity, competence and intelligence and that these feelings are reciprocated by the younger generation gives me even more cause for optimism. The older power elite couldn't pass away fast enough as far as I am concerned.

A few years ago there was a definite split in my university faculty between the older Thai archans and the younger ones. The younger ones tended to be better educated and better instructors than the older generation, who knew it and didn't like it. Now most of the older ones have been put out to pasture and the new ones are in charge. I suppose in a few years, there will be another division as the cycle repeats itself.

Not if the people decide that they have enough of them. We have just seen it in the Middle East.

Yes, well, I am not holding my breath that in the ME democracy will take over in the vacuum left by the despots. Winter may return quickly to most of the ME countries tossing off the yoke from their previous rulers. A new, more saavy, ruling elite may learn what they need to do to gain power and keep it. The people may be better off under the new rule, but I have my doubts any true democracy will develop in the ensuing power transfers. Pessimistic? Not really... just realistic. But I wish for the best outcome for the citizens and people of these countries who have battled hard and lost loved ones in trying to throw the bastards out and reclaim their country. Hopefully I am wrong. But, I don't think so. :-)

And then a new generation of corrupt, greedy and incompetent politicians, military, bureaucrats and CEO's will eagerly step forward to replace them. :beer:

My thoughts as well, Flasheroo. Oh, the new ones may seem better, less corrupt and evil, but they will just be doing what is done in the west. The corrupt evil bastards are better at hiding their corruption and covering their asses. They've learned from the previous bastards experiences and mistakes. Still they're mainly scumbags out only for themselves sucking on the public teat, without any true care for the people they are supposed to lead, represent and help make a better life for all citizens, and a better world to leave for the next generations. Greed and power baby, it's a very strong incentive for many supposedly 'public servants'.

Archived