Local Flood Effects: St & Lt

Khun_Kong

I bailed from BKK for PTY about 2 weeks ago. No abnormal problems here.

At some point, I have to return to BKK for work. I'm wondering about the availability of food & water in central BKK. Anybody been in the stores lately? Any rice/meat/water left? With supply lines almost severed, things could get bleak.

In the long term, it looks as though there's been a serious blow to agricultural production, especially rice, and meat/poultry production. It would seem that there will either be serious shortages or serious price hikes or both, probably for many months to come. My guess is that the Thai gov won't let prices rise too much, since combining that with the reneging on wage increases might not be the best plan for keeping the proles under control.

I've not yet seen any media addressing these issues. Anybody else?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh do come on! :D

St - Short term ST - Short Time. Though SI units would require we use the small t to denote time but this is Thailand so things like common sense or international standards rarely apply.

ST And LT prices will likely be stable for now, still a good supply on the shelves.

Prices may rise in the medium term as the demand for rebuilding funds and subsistence due to failed rice crops increases. The other side of this is that the northern devastation may lead to an increase in supply so countering any rises. So as usual, same same, but different.

Ok, funny over. As to the op (Or should that be OP?) I guess to early to know. 7-11's, Lotus, Big C etc all starting to look a little empty around here on the northern edge and even in central Bangkok I noticed a lot of empty shelves. Our water deliver company, Sprinkle, has suspended deliveries, and as supplies dwindle I think it will be weeks before anything like a normal service for supply can be resumed. As for the longer term (Lt) Who knows, we've all seen how those in power can simply dismiss their massive failings and just carry on, TIT.

i would add to this thread, by asking, monger centric questions, specifically:

Thermae - still open?

Suvanabhumi ?

Taxi route from Suvanabhumi to Sukhumvit?

Sukhumvit?

Cowboy?

Nana?

Soi 33?

All else is immaterial to the monger, and whilst this line of thought, is cold hearted to the plight of the Thai people in general, there are many, many young women who need our support, if we mongers stop coming because of the flooding, how will these damsels survive?

And what is the increased (if any) chance of HIV transmission, from said damsels, if they are standing about in minge-deep Klong water all day, but still performing services at night after draining said minge?

To be safe, guys should always wear a condom when standing in floodwater.

My local 7-Eleven said they cannot restock, since the main warehouse was swamped. Tops groceries are bringing in essentials such as bottled water, rice and cooking oil. Very slim pickings on the rest. No bread for days, soft drinks and beer cleaned out. All instant noodles long gone ... and even spaghetti noodles have been bought out. Going to the grocery is almost a waste of time. :(

But the local markets chug along - eggs, veggies, hunks of dead animals, fresh fruit. I see a lot more people in the restaurants these days. Maybe they are saving their home cache.

No big problems though ... minor flooding along the river, otherwise mostly still with our heads above water.

Hi,

"Going to the grocery is almost a waste of time."

Just came from the Tops on Ratchada. Decent amount of softdrinks / beer there still, no bottle water. Virtually no pet food anymore either. Hardly any potato chips, yoghurt, frozen foods, canned food. Still plenty of bread though.

Sanuk!

Where I work (not in Bar) ST and LT are standard acronyms used every day for Short Term and Long Term. The thing is, I've slipped in meetings a couple times reading my own notes and said things like: "Long time the goal is to reach acuity of ---" and I get these looks like, "Long Time?" :) baaaah!

Everyone I stay in touch with on the ground in Bangkok (all 3 people) tells me the same thing (and I'm dead serious here): "man, it's really fucked up, stores are cleaned out of several food items and supplies -- and a lot of people just outside of the city have been displaced, people are panicking" Me: "hmmm, this doesn't sound good -- I should cancel the trip." Them: "why?" Me: "ummmmmm, nevermind." :surprised:

Still quite haven't figured it out. But not canceling. Survived the reds, not cancelling for this. And though you're being tongue in cheek Coss -- we will be supporting the economy and those kind of things are needed. I just hope the street vendors are open and I can get Som Tam Lao - ped mak mak, fried chicken, sticky rice, glass noodle salad, and tom yum goong -- give me that and I'm straight.

re canned goods, it's interesting to see what the Thais buy. The only things left on the shelves are beans, peas, olives and Spam. Thais must not know what to make of them. Surprised about the Spam though, considering what the Thais do eat. :hmmm:

Also, the baby food and nappies are all gone. I hope the Thais aren't getting kinky. :p

also no more womens hygienic products I'm told. guess there'll be a major disaster about a month from now :p

that'll be the day when the PM finally succumbs & invoke to emergency decree :beer:

anyway as to confirm coss kind requests: yes all your inbound requirements can be meet at the moment. just come on over ;)

The shop owner downstairs has gone to Chonburi to buy water.

I am currently eating out to save my 4-5 day foodstocks.

Yesterday afternoon the same Tops that KS went to today was almost sold out of everything. Seems they got restocked then :)

I am getting messages from friends in Phuket and Chonburi that even there things are getting scarce :(

W

Archived