Jobs On Adobe Flash Player

Julian2

Hi,

So, if Macs are so perfect, why isn't everyone using them?

Sorry, but I just don't buy this "It just works" crap.

My business partner has had to use a Mac for several months now and he despises it. Complete nightmare to work - and especially - code on according to him.

Guess it is mostly about what you are used to.

Sanuk!

Yep, Macs are machines for consumers and designers/artists. I don't know about coders. As I said some software is not available for Mac's or doesn't has the quality/features as similar PC software. The most prominent example: Microsoft Outlook for PC. IMHO the best personal information manager. The Mac version is much weaker and is not integrated in the available sync programs, therefore useless in networks.

And of course: the price. If you are short of money and you just need a working machine, you can get a can PC/notebook for far less. That's why you don't see many Macs in less developed countries.

Yep, Macs are machines for consumers and designers/artists. I don't know about coders.

Well Tim Berners-Lee developed HTTP, HTML and the first browser as well as hosting the first World Wide Web Server on a NeXT Computer. The NeXT OS is the basis of OS X and was how Jobs regained control of Apple.

I would say not a bad OS for coders.

The HD of my iMac recently crashed. It's the Mac with all essential company data. With a PC I would have to install all the software and settings again, which usually takes around 8-10 hours. When the iMac came back repaired, I booted it, connected it to Time Machine and let it copy all software, settings and data over night. The next morning I just lost two hours, since the repair shop hadn't installed the latest OS (Lion had just come out) and I had to do an upgrade manually. But this was nothing compared to the trouble I had with PCs before.

Well, I would not be happy when I'd have to wait 8 hours until my Pc is up and running again. System, settings and programs would be back in less than an hour which includes the time needed for replacing the drive.

Data is of course not stored on the system drive.

Well, I would not be happy when I'd have to wait 8 hours until my Pc is up and running again. System, settings and programs would be back in less than an hour which includes the time needed for replacing the drive.

Data is of course not stored on the system drive.

Actually, I don't know how long it took to reload all the data and software. The backup was around 400 GB and I guess it took some time until it was recovered to the new HD. But since Time Machine did everything automatically I just could go home. The two hours in the morning were probably my mistake. I did not pay regard to the fact that the new HD had the previous OS Snow Leopard installed, while the Backup was based on the new Lion OS. Of course many of the Lion settings didn't work... I think it is a sign for the stability of the Apple OS, that after I updated Snow Leopard to Lion, everything ran smooth again.

thumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived