Drinking Water Supply During Floods

gawguy

This question was raised years ago without a really clear answer:

I'm in Pattaya and bottled water is in short supply. I always buy 6 liter bottles, but there aren't any now.

So..there are water ionizing / dispensing machines around from couple of different companies.

1. Are these machines effective?

2. Are they maintained properly? Filters changed?

3. What vending company is best?

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I have never had a problem with water quality from these machines, after all they are just a simple Reverse Osmosis system with a UV treatment module downstream.

Many households in Thailand have home R.O. water treatment systems under the sink, when I had mine I changed the filters ever 36 months no worries. On the machines seen in the streets filters are good for 250,000 Liters, so if in constant use that is more than 28 LPM for a year.

If in doubt look for the maintenance label on the machine, yes even in Thailand they have them.

I am told that if you refill a plastic water bottle with tap water and leave it in the sun all day, a combination of temperature and UV will make it safe to drink the next day. I do not advocate this, merely point it out for discussion.

I am told that if you refill a plastic water bottle with tap water and leave it in the sun all day, a combination of temperature and UV will make it safe to drink the next day. I do not advocate this, merely point it out for discussion.

Very, very, very untrue and dangerous!

They use the cheapest and most unsafe plastic bottles in LOS, as they contain a nasty cancer

causing chemical, BPE, which has been outlawed in Canada.

Leaving the bottles in the sun cause a rapid pollution of the water with BPE.

If you leave tap water, say in an open glass container in the sun for a day, much

of the chlorine in the water "boil" out. The nasty minerals; lead, mercury, etc will remain.

I have a water testing meter and distilled water tests at 0; a good RO water machine will test at 4 ~ 5.

Tap water 200+; bottled water 200+, so be careful out there.

I have found that most of the RO machines on the street test at 200+, in other words they are just spitting out tap water!!!

I have a water testing meter and distilled water tests at 0; a good RO water machine will test at 4 ~ 5.

Tap water 200+; bottled water 200+, so be careful out there.

I have found that most of the RO machines on the street test at 200+, in other words they are just spitting out tap water!!!

The definitive answer! Can anyone dispute this? It's in line with my general feeling about anything that costs a Thai business person money. Like most everything else, it is not regulated or monitored. If there is some kind of inspection, you would have to be wary of bribery / corruption.

These machines spit out tap water sounds right to me.

Thanks for the responses,

Gaw Guy

Bangkok's city water goes through a filtration system. I don't think any chemicals are added though. Consider it about 90% safe to drink without boiling, if you feel like gambling.

I'm reminded of a Farang speaker at my university who wouldn't touch the bottled water. She said she'd heard it wasn't safe to drink the water in Thailand, so she only drank soft drinks. And no she wasn't a blonde. :p

Archived