Drinking Water Supply During Floods

gawguy

Bangkok's city water goes through a filtration system. I don't think any chemicals are added though. Consider it about 90% safe to drink without boiling, if you feel like gambling.

I'm reminded of a Farang speaker at my university who wouldn't touch the bottled water. She said she'd heard it wasn't safe to drink the water in Thailand, so she only drank soft drinks. And no she wasn't a blonde. :p

So what about Pattaya water? I read a post on here long ago in which it was said, "Don't even use it to brush your teeth." I do and my teeth and the rest of me is fine, but to this point I make sure I don't drink it. Most of the stores have NO water now, so I may have to give it a try through the vending machine.

GG

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bangkok's city water goes through a filtration system. I don't think any chemicals are added though. Consider it about 90% safe to drink without boiling, if you feel like gambling.

I'm reminded of a Farang speaker at my university who wouldn't touch the bottled water. She said she'd heard it wasn't safe to drink the water in Thailand, so she only drank soft drinks. And no she wasn't a blonde. :p

Chlorine is added, for sure. Not sure if they add fluoride. If we are lucky, they do not add fluoride!

well currently tap water & flood water gets intermixed a bit in the various canals :p

anyway for bottled water it's only as good as it's source whatever it may be.

for those so inclined i understand bottled water are still available at local convenience store (refilled tap water lol), food courts et all.

Hi,

"i understand bottled water are still available at local convenience store (refilled tap water lol), food courts et all. "

Depends on where you are perhaps, but at Tops yesterday there was no bottled water available at the food court.

Tap water - even filtered - is tasting a bit funny and we've stopped drinking it.

Sanuk!

The local 7-Elevens are out of water and not much left in the way of soft drinks or even soy milk. There are signs saying no one can buy more than 6 bottles of whatever.

I went to The Mall in Ngamwong, since Big C was out of drinking water. De Mawn no hab same same - only a few bottles of imported water at 60 baht and up each. Food shelves looking sparsam too.

I did manage to grab a couple of loaves of REAL bread at La Boulangerie, so the trip wasn't a waste. None of their great sandwiches available though.

I also noticed the 119 baht Thai buffet ( a good one BTW) has jumped to 149 baht. Hope it is temporary.

The local 7-Elevens are out of water and not much left in the way of soft drinks or even soy milk. There are signs saying no one can buy more than 6 bottles of whatever.

I went to The Mall in Ngamwong, since Big C was out of drinking water. De Mawn no hab same same - only a few bottles of imported water at 60 baht and up each. Food shelves looking sparsam too.

I did manage to grab a couple of loaves of REAL bread at La Boulangerie, so the trip wasn't a waste. None of their great sandwiches available though.

I also noticed the 119 baht Thai buffet ( a good one BTW) has jumped to 149 baht. Hope it is temporary.

We just got in from five days in Hua Hin ...bought heaps of water back with us ..every Big C and Tesco between Bangkok and Hua Hin are out of bottled water...our Condo has informed all of us not to drink tap water at all ...oh well just have to drink JW ... :neener:

Khlong Prapa dyke destroyed

A TV report said that some residents of flooded Wat Nawong, Khlong Hok in Don Muang area were so frustrated seeing rising water that they decided to destroy the Khlong Prapa canal dyke in a mistaken belief that this could lessen the flood in their area. It did not.

Later the concerned authority and Pathum Thani MP came to convince them that it would not work and that Khlong Prapa is essential for producing tap water which they also rely on. Convinced, they stopped their action.

The authority has repaired the damaged dyke section.

This foolish action makes Khlong Prapa water quality bad as all the rubbish and dirt in the area were swept into the canal.

No wonder this morning, the old reporter reported blackish water of Khlong Prapa at Chaengwattana Rd.

BP

Will people coming into town next week be able to find drinking water? Are the 7-11s around suk completely sold out of drinking water?

Tesco and 7/11s have closed a large number of stores from flooding to no stock on the shelves ..just have to check stores as you come accross them....people are panic buying as well so any stocks soon dwindle...

Archived